Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
You know all Truxedos besides the TruxSport carry a lifetime warranty, right?

I've sold Access and Truxedo for 20+ years now combined. They both have great products and customer service. The cover material is as durable as any other material on the market. Trade secret--just like boat vinyl most if it comes from the same supplier in different grades. If you keep up with maintenance and protect with 303 (NOT ArmorAll) that cover should last a good long time. I've warrantied more Access covers than Truxedos BTW, which is one reason I've switched over. Usually velcro or stiching issues, which Truxedo has been able to avoid.

I don't sell hardly any folding covers. Any time you fold vinyl 180* time and time again it will eventually break down in that spot. Again--same vinyl as a Truxedo or Access at a similar or lower grade. If they're less expensive, this is usually the way they get there. Many folding covers also have flexible plastic supports under the folding areas to help avoid this, but I've also seen the plastic crack over time. Another big reason is giving up 1/4-1/3 of the bed space or blocking your rear window doesn't make much sense to me, do you leave the cover at home to take your motorcycle or atv to the track/trail? With a soft cover you can put your gear and stuff in the bed and cover it up at least. Is it as secure as a hard cover? No, but at least you won't have smelly gear in the cab or out in the wide open while you ride. Really the bottom line is buy what works for your usage.

I sell what I know will last because the worst thing for me is a customer coming back with problems. My least favorite part of retail bar none. I don't sell on the internet so take this as just an FYI post.
Right on the money with your entire post. I have sold and used both the Truxedo and the Access covers and have been extremely happy with both. I had to use the Truxedo warranty a couple times and it was easy as can be. I currently have An Access on my F150 going on two years without a complaint. Minnesota sun isn't as tough as down south, but our winters are tough on things.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-07-2014, 04:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Ended up going for the Bestop tri-fold.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-16113-0...f150+bed+cover

$223 after $50 mail in rebate. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
The Retrax cover is what we install for law enforcement use and have installed well over 200 on trucks for Texas Parks and Wildlife and Texas DPS. It's a great option for the guy who has the extra cash, in the $1,000 area.
Where do you work? If its some kind of truck accessory store, id love to get a hookup on getting my 3/2 lift and 34s put on. lol

Last edited by Aric'sX15; 05-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
So did anyone notice any improvements in MPG with the addition of a bed cover? I've seen "studies" that they don't help but was wondering what first-hand experience was in this regard.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
There is a myth busters on this. i think it is an improvement, but very small. Ill probably do some kind of test with my camper shell on and off to see if it really does anything.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by _fng_ View Post
So did anyone notice any improvements in MPG with the addition of a bed cover? I've seen "studies" that they don't help but was wondering what first-hand experience was in this regard.
I've heard of people on the f150 forums claiming about a 2-3mpg increase on the highway, which would be great. If not, oh well.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
The Extang tri-fold soft cover is only mid 300's and I love mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Extang-44940-T...xtang+trifecta
Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
My Extang trifold is installed on a Ford ranger, and yes, I found a difference in gas mileage with, and without the cover. I also found the best way to beat the vinyl folding problem is to forget vinyl in the first place and get the cover in fabric. this is the same fabric used in convertible tops, so it is very tough and water resistant.