Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Scratched the brand?
No it was like a scratch and dent special. Its the Extang hard tri fold.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
I have used the TonnoPro and the Truxedo roll-up covers...both proved to wear out in three years of sunlight. I liked that the roll up ones allowed me full access to the bed without having something leaning up against the back window, but none of them really appear to last. I would go tri-fold if I were to purchase another one. I just threw my Truxedo one in the dumpster a few weeks ago.
I figured some 303 on it would probably help a few times per year. I guess if I got 3 years out of it I'd be happy. I also park in a garage at work all day, so it won't be exposed to the sun unless I'm out driving around, and on the weekends.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051N...&pi=SX200_QL40

Not sure if that's the correct bed size but that's the one I had minus mine was on a duramax.

And yes they handle 120+ mph conditions

Even has a little handy light on the under side
Thanks, I've got the 5.5' bed. I'll see if I can find one of those.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I figured some 303 on it would probably help a few times per year. I guess if I got 3 years out of it I'd be happy. I also park in a garage at work all day, so it won't be exposed to the sun unless I'm out driving around, and on the weekends.
Just an FYI - The threads that hold the velcro on are what ripped on both covers, and this of course ripped the cover as well since the velcro stayed attached to the rail while the cover begain to flap in the wind. I don't think 303 can help this sort of thing. I'd look at these like a cheap boat cover...3-5 years at best. I would expect that the hard tri-fold covers last longer, but I have never owned one.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
The Retrax cover is what we install for law enforcement use and have installed well over 200 on trucks for Texas Parks and Wildlife and Texas DPS. It's a great option for the guy who has the extra cash, in the $1,000 area.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
I have used the TonnoPro and the Truxedo roll-up covers...both proved to wear out in three years of sunlight. I liked that the roll up ones allowed me full access to the bed without having something leaning up against the back window, but none of them really appear to last. I would go tri-fold if I were to purchase another one. I just threw my Truxedo one in the dumpster a few weeks ago.
You know all Truxedos besides the TruxSport carry a lifetime warranty, right?

I've sold Access and Truxedo for 20+ years now combined. They both have great products and customer service. The cover material is as durable as any other material on the market. Trade secret--just like boat vinyl most if it comes from the same supplier in different grades. If you keep up with maintenance and protect with 303 (NOT ArmorAll) that cover should last a good long time. I've warrantied more Access covers than Truxedos BTW, which is one reason I've switched over. Usually velcro or stiching issues, which Truxedo has been able to avoid.

I don't sell hardly any folding covers. Any time you fold vinyl 180* time and time again it will eventually break down in that spot. Again--same vinyl as a Truxedo or Access at a similar or lower grade. If they're less expensive, this is usually the way they get there. Many folding covers also have flexible plastic supports under the folding areas to help avoid this, but I've also seen the plastic crack over time. Another big reason is giving up 1/4-1/3 of the bed space or blocking your rear window doesn't make much sense to me, do you leave the cover at home to take your motorcycle or atv to the track/trail? With a soft cover you can put your gear and stuff in the bed and cover it up at least. Is it as secure as a hard cover? No, but at least you won't have smelly gear in the cab or out in the wide open while you ride. Really the bottom line is buy what works for your usage.

I sell what I know will last because the worst thing for me is a customer coming back with problems. My least favorite part of retail bar none. I don't sell on the internet so take this as just an FYI post.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
I know they are expensive but this is the way to go.

http://rollnlock.com/
Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
You know all Truxedos besides the TruxSport carry a lifetime warranty, right?
I had the Truxport, and it lasted 30 months. The dealer put it on for me as part of a used vehicle sale, and I did not have a warranty. Personally, after two covers on my truck that didn't last, I just decided that this wasn't practical for $300. Other folks' mileage may vary.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 05-07-2014, 03:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
My Extang tri fold has been nothing hort of amazing. Very versatile, I'd recommend it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionMan View Post
I know they are expensive but this is the way to go.

http://rollnlock.com/
Those are very nice, but they do tie up a good chunk of room at the front of the bed.