Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Im gonna pick up one of the b&w flip hitches next week.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
The photo of the failed Rapid Hitch by Andersen is of interest to me since I purchased one a few months back to tow my boat. I've towed twice with it, but haven't launched with it yet.

The 2008 thread below in another forum shows the same photo and other photos of this failure from other perspectives. In that thread, Andersen seeks the end user and states, "Our failure rate is less than one tenth of one percent and as far as I know is actually LOWER than most steel ball mounts because we don’t have to rely on a weld."

The Rapid Hitch has been on the market since around 2003 (Andersen states in a 2008 promotional video they came out with it five years earlier). It gives me some comfort that when I google for images of failures of it, this failure from years ago is the only one I see. I'm sure there have been others, but if there were significant problems with this hitch failing when used as intended, I think you would see many more images on internet of many more failures.

One of the reasons I bought this Andersen Rapid Hitch, rather than a competing aluminum adjustable hitch, was its ability to tow in the middle of the adjustment range, which the competing adjustable hitch, which looked a bit slicker, could not do.

Rapid Hitch failure
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Some of this stems from my head on collision at 45MPH, still after 2 years, gives me the willies!
yeah, thoughts of that give me the matties too.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
^^^
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2014
My first thought is where are the safety cables.

WakeWise
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
My first thought is where are the safety cables.

WakeWise
They broke. If you look closely, you can see the frayed end of one at the extreme right in the photograph. It's more visible in photos in the thread to which I linked above. Someone on that thread speculated the cables were too long and broke when the ball mount dug in.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I have had my DT 6" adjustable drop for 7 years. Looked decent and performed well.
"anti-rattle" bearings fell out about year 4. Honestly, HD truck owners using a sleeve for their 2.5 receiver will have more slop from the sleeve than missing bearings.

Keep the locks covered and clean. Salt belt people need to pay extra attention but they know that with about everything.
Take the keys to a locksmith and have them cut 1-2 solid metal keys. Stock keys have a metal barrel but plastic handle. They are fairly easy to twist off if locks get sticky plus you want a spare 1-2 in the truck since that is the only way to get it out short of lock disassembly.

As for the rapid hitch pic, I would agree the discolored metal at the failure should have been a sign of problem had the operator inspected his equipment.
Dragging can be a fatigue problem with any hitch. If it was getting drug by an RV, that is ALOT more force than tongue weight could almost ever generate.
Definitely a unique instance and one the OP should have zero issue with in the turned up position. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Might want to check this...

We have different (OEM) fold away recievers (on the Touareg also) in Europe, these folks managed to rip one of these off at the folding axle during an winter driving training.

About the original incident/post, Aluminium welding is not the easiest task, looks like it broke right behind the weld. I suspect it was not welded right, lack of heat on the parts to be welded I suspect there, but I'm not an expert on this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Might want to check this...

We have different (OEM) fold away recievers (on the Touareg also) in Europe, these folks managed to rip one of these off at the folding axle during an winter driving training.

About the original incident/post, Aluminium welding is not the easiest task, looks like it broke right behind the weld. I suspect it was not welded right, lack of heat on the parts to be welded I suspect there, but I'm not an expert on this.
What weld? The Andersen Rapid Hitch is a weldless design. As I quoted above in Andersen's 2008 post to another forum concerning this incident, "we donít have to rely on a weld." I own a Rapid Hitch. It has no weld.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
What weld? The Andersen Rapid Hitch is a weldless design. As I quoted above in Andersen's 2008 post to another forum concerning this incident, "we don’t have to rely on a weld." I own a Rapid Hitch. It has no weld.
Looks like a typical weld pattern to me there

from the other thread...

also check the last comment in the other forum

http://www.performanceboats.com/user...tml#post235534