Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 Tahoe Q5i, 4.3L Merc
Which Tower for 2001 Prostar 209

My buddy just picked up a mint 01' Red 209. He wants my help in adding a tower since I put one on my I/O. Research yields that the New dimensions tower is the way to go but it is very expensive for what it is. I paid less than a grand for my tower from diywake.com and it is solid. Another buddy of mine has a Monster tower with no issues and those are also under a grand.

Issue is, this vintage of boat with the sharp windshield looks best with a tower similar to the stock Zero Flex. So, is there anything else that looks similar for a reasonable price?

Mike
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
ND tower has the same footprint as the factory model. Your buddy has glassed-in deck reinforcements where the factory tower should mount. ND is pretty much the best factory fit for his boat. I have a 209 and have checked it out, life keeps getting in the way and the boat fund keeps getting robbed or else I would have one by now.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 Tahoe Q5i, 4.3L Merc
I agree, the ND is likely the way to go. I made sure the tower I bought fit my factory pads as well but he wants to do this on the cheap. Should not be a problem to build up a base with plywood and epoxy. thanks for the reply btw. I hope to be a MC owner someday myself. Watched the NXT reveal today... just got to convince the wife!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
He will have to make a choice......cheap tower will be more difficult on resale most towers look horrible or New Dimensions and will help on resale.

Obviously resale is not something he should be thinking about right now but it's worth spending the extea $1k on.....Call Wayne and you might be able to bet a better deal than list, I know I did.

Super easy to install, he will supply all the measurement, took us 3 hours and I had to glass in supports.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stritt View Post
Obviously resale is not something he should be thinking about right now

but it's worth spending the extea $1k on
I disagree with the first part. Resale should always be on your mind, even if you "plan to keep it forever". It leads to smarter purchases usually. As a professional car modifier I see way too many people pull the trigger on what they think is a great deal on a cheap product only to lose out big time later on. Either they have to take a big hit on resale money, have to replace the cheap part with a decent one (and miss out on the enjoyment of owning the better product), or lose most of their customer base. Almost all inexpensive towers will keep me from looking closer at a used boat--makes me wonder what else the current owner decided wasn't worth spending proper money on.

I absolutely agree with the second part.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
I second the above. Won't look at a boat without factory or ND tower.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006. Mastercraft maristar
make factory and no questions from next buyer,, always worth extra work and money
Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
ND will put a mastercraft star in the bracing so it looks OEM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
I disagree with the first part. Resale should always be on your mind, even if you "plan to keep it forever". It leads to smarter purchases usually. As a professional car modifier I see way too many people pull the trigger on what they think is a great deal on a cheap product only to lose out big time later on. Either they have to take a big hit on resale money, have to replace the cheap part with a decent one (and miss out on the enjoyment of owning the better product), or lose most of their customer base. Almost all inexpensive towers will keep me from looking closer at a used boat--makes me wonder what else the current owner decided wasn't worth spending proper money on.

I absolutely agree with the second part.
I agree with you! The word should was supposed to be would ......my typing on my galaxy pad sucks!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Stretch for the ND. If you have to go cheaper, skip monster and go for something like the Big Air Vapor which has base legs that can follow the windshield. Im not sure if this is a good idea or not, but there was a guy on here a few years back that mounted the front legs backwards and it gave the tower somewhat of a ND look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk