Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 maristar 200vrs, 275tbi
is a heater worth it

i found a used 2 outlet heater for my boat and was wondering if it is worth spending $175 for a little warmth. if i could have some feedback i would much appreciate. i live in canada and the season is short and cold
Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada air
i found a used 2 outlet heater for my boat and was wondering if it is worth spending $175 for a little warmth. if i could have some feedback i would much appreciate. i live in canada and the season is short and cold
I live in Minnesota. A heater is absolutely, 100% worth it, IMHO.

In fact, a hot water shower, as is often discussed here, would be a great addition for a Canadian water sports enthusiast too. I could easily envision those two items, plus a wetsuit, extending your skiing/boarding/foiling season by 2 months.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
Yes Yes Yes. If you live where it is cold it is a good thing to have.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
One thing about a used heater is make sure the heater core doesn't leak.
I had to get a new core for my heater this year.

Last edited by John B; 11-11-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada air
Absolutely worth it, but how much more is a new one? I've replaced too many heater cores over the years Make sure it doesn't leak before you drop that much money.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
Absolutely worth every penny.

I would check out Heatercraft, more than likely the manufacturer of the heater you are looking at. See how much a new one would be.

Also, depending on your boat size, you may want to go with a 3 vent heater rather than the 2 vent. I had a 2 vent in my PS205 but in my X30, I went with the 3 vent. It just depends on how big and how manhy people you usually have in the boat.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 w/tower
I am in southern Michigan and we are in the water in March and don't pull until late October or early November. Without a heater we would likely not go in until late May and pull out in September. Definately worth the investment. I agree with the others look at a new heater, why would someone sell their heater if it was still in working order?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '95 190 proStar/Vette inj.
i sure enjoy the heater in my Star. Had to do some re-routing to illiminate pinched duct hoses and now have 2 outlets in the driver's footwell, one to the windshield and one to the obs.seat area.
your season im P.A. is very similar to ours. think you'll appreciate the comnfort and extension to the season.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Yep, Washington state here. We don't bother with showers. Stay warm & dry with a heater & drysuit & you will be able to ski in the most brutal cold conditions.
Also, another good addition to a heater is a Hot Wrap blanket. Polar fleece on the inside, waterproof nylon on the outside & a hole for your heater vent down at the bottom. Great way to keep your driver & spotter toasty warm!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:26 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
Also, another good addition to a heater is a Hot Wrap blanket. Polar fleece on the inside, waterproof nylon on the outside & a hole for your heater vent down at the bottom. Great way to keep your driver & spotter toasty warm!
A little spendy, but what a clever idea!

"Sky Ski Heated Boat Blanket! Keep your driver and spotter warm with this fleece lined, Gore-tex boat blanket. If they're still not warm enough, just put your heater hose from your boat into the bottom of the blanket and the blanket fills with warm air!"