Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
StarBrite Teak Oil?

Is this product OK?
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-Star
I use this product on my swim platform. Depending how bad the oxidation is, you might need to do a light sanding before applying. Or you may need to brighten/oil a couple times.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I'd use that kit but would pass on the oil. Get some linseed oil and mineral spirits 80/20 mix.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'd use that kit but would pass on the oil. Get some linseed oil and mineral spirits 80/20 mix.
+1 for a mix of 75% linseed oil and 25% mineral spirits. This is a much better, longer lasting option. Personally, I find most Starbrite products to be sub-optimal anyway.

I'd skip the entire kit, and I'd pressure wash the teak. Lightly sand it if needed, then apply two coats linseed/mineral spirits with a brush.

Here's a photo of what pressure washing alone can do. I lightly sanded this for 10 mins, washed again, and then applied linseed oil. Wait 24 hours for drying, and reapply. Done.

Good luck!

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
It's a do all kit..so if you don't need the cleaner. Make your own oil, as suggested. If you have
mold and/or mildew, Simple Green works, as a cleaner. The lightener, is basically a bleach. (Not really sure, what the chemical is.) A light sanding, makes the oil last much longer. I oil mine, twice a year. Clean it, at the end of the season.

On older platforms, be careful on power washing, as the swim platform can de-laminate.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
I used this product 2 years ago, following directions on the package. My platform never looked better, and I have enough product left over for 2 more applications. The sanding prep is the key.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I don't have a before pic but this is after using the cleaner, then brightener, then some quick 220 and finished with one coat of 80/20.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 87 PS190, powerslot
I had a platform that was awful - it had been varnished. stripped the varnish, still looked awful. Gave it a bath in a pretty strong concentration of TSP and hot water, (in the shower, with a long brush, wearing gloves) let that soak awhile - about thirty minutes, reapplying every 5 or so. Then I let it dry a few days. Gave it a light sanding, and then treated it with three coats of Boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits (75/25) over about a week.

Went from this

To this:

Total cost... umm, maybe 5 bucks?? And I already had everything in the shop. It takes very little oil to do it... If you've got a well equipped shop... you've probably got everything on hand...and don't have to spend a dime...just a few hours.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2
I do about 10 minutes of sanding with my orbital and some 60-80 grit. Any smoother than that can make for a slippery deck. Then, two coats of 75/25 linseed oil/mineral spirits, total cost is 4-5 bucks and the platform looks brand new. Lasted all season last year moored in the open sun of CO and water exposure - for 5 solid months. Just finished a quick sanding last night and about to apply coat #1. I waited a week between coats last time, not sure you have to wait that long. 2-3 days might be about right. I would never spend the money for one of those kits now that I've seen how easy, effective and cheap this system is.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Don't use bleach on a teak platform. It wreaks havoc on the wood. It literally won't feel the same (almost spongy).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.