Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2016, 12:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X7
2007 X7 - Anything I need to know?

If everything works out as planned I'll be buying a 2007 X7 later this week. My understanding of the X7 is that it is the exact same hull as the 197. Is that correct? Also, is the 2007 considered a drive by wire or servo motor on the Perfect Pass?

I slalom ski 98% of the the time, but would like to get more proficient at wakeboarding which is why I feel the X7 is a great fit. I'll be upgrading from a 1998 SportStar 19. Any tips or caveats that could be offered up is appreciated!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 prostar 197, mcx
Correct the x7 is a 197 with ballast bag.
Although the ballast bag doesn't do that much compared to what people have in the boats these days, but it does help.
Open bow, if you don't know you will soon, the front dips down slightly and is easy to take a wave over the front, you soon get used to driving the open bow though to counter act that.
I have had a couple of occasions when people in the front the boat will not turn tight, nearly had a disaster myself with that one, chine locks and doesn't turn, easy remedy just back of the throttle, and just be aware.
Regarding throttle I have a 2005 197 and that is throttle by wire, so I would guess yours will be also, the perfect pass plugs into the system computer, no servo motor.

Good luck with the boat, enjoy
Old 07-05-2016, 04:47 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Very good tip about the steering. Maybe the back get's a little to high out of the water?
Old 07-05-2016, 06:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Have a 2007 197 with the MCX and love the boat. . . I'm sure you will too, especially as a skier!

Have never experienced the chine lock/steering problem so can't offer any first-hand advice or help on that front. As Mark says, should be drive by wire (mine is) unless something was modded (and can't imagine why that would be the case). As for use, we are 97% slalom (family of five--me and kids all slalom) and every now and then break out the wakeboards or have a wakeboarder with us. Not terribly interesting (to me) but maybe because I've never tried before a proper wakeboard boat.

What Mark mentions about taking water over the bow is a fact of life with these boats, especially when skiing with a full load of guests. All our bodies are forward of the pylon for obvious reasons, so decelerating to stop OR hitting any kind of wake at idle speed "fills the kiddie pool." When we get home, two minutes with the Wet/Dry vac takes care of that, and then if the boat's going in the garage, I aim a floor fan into the front storage lockers to get it good and dry.

Best of luck--hope you land the boat!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsilvertab View Post
If everything works out as planned I'll be buying a 2007 X7 later this week. My understanding of the X7 is that it is the exact same hull as the 197. Is that correct? Also, is the 2007 considered a drive by wire or servo motor on the Perfect Pass?

I slalom ski 98% of the the time, but would like to get more proficient at wakeboarding which is why I feel the X7 is a great fit. I'll be upgrading from a 1998 SportStar 19. Any tips or caveats that could be offered up is appreciated!
Just sayin...

Attached Images

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-06-2016, 10:28 AM
TT Newbie

Pictures after Friday, fingers crossed.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Star, 2008
I can't add/answer anything from the OP ?, but will throw in, my neighbor has an '04 X7 and it is an absolute sports car handling compared to my Star (naturally). Have never had an issue with chine lock and neither has he in the years since new purchase.

Water over the bow, yup - happens, like its been said, loaded with people in the bow it feels like it is an inch out of the water - which is kinda fun!

Good luck and hope you get it!!!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:43 AM
TT Newbie

Got the boat. All is well except we are getting a little hesitation when pulling a skier up out of the water. It happens about 50% of the time. Going to start to do some research on the issue.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
We made the exact same move last summer from a 1999 Sportstar to a 197TT with all the X7 features. Hope you figure out your hesitation issue, and enjoy the new boat. Nice looking boat !
Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X9
That's not the original trailer. Did the prior owner say what happened?