Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProSport 205, 351 - 285HO
Mini or Full ND Tower - PS 205 - Opinions

Hey All - Been off TT for a long time, lots of 'life' (good and bad) getting in the way. But, all is good now and the season is just around the corner.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a New Dimension tower with ND bimini for my '92 PS205. #1 priority is shade from the bimini (wife needs to stay out of the sun), and #2 is storage. I've searched and read most everything on TT, still undecided between Mini and Full.

Advantages of Mini are the looks (IMO) and maybe better shade with the lower bimini position. I like the ND bimini a lot with the Mini. It will also fit in the lift easier. I will most likely not add speakers. It's 5'6" off the floor and I'm 5'10" so obviously ducking under will become the norm.

While a full tower eliminates the need to duck under it, I'm thinking that the ND bimini mounted 7' off the floor might not have as much coverage for shade, and while the deployed bimini up that high might look a little odd too. The Full tower with aftermarket bimini mounted lower would also going to require ducking under.

I've been using a SkyHigh pylon extension for a few years, but new boat last year - it didn't come with a bimini. In looking at costs/looks/benefits I don't want to buy a bimini, have it cut for the extension and deal with install and removal. Plus the cables are a pain for the folks in the bow. I'm ready to just cry once when I pay New Dimensions and hopefully live happily ever after.

Anyone sporting the Mini with bimini and absolutely HATE it, and why? Or have a Full with a bimini and LOVE it over the Mini?

I'm leaning Mini, just want to hear other experienced TT opinions.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I put a full size on my 92 and would not have wanted a mini. Yeah, they look a little better but ducking under it all the time would suck.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
I'd reccomend the full tower with the bimini lower. Ducking under the bimini will make the bimini more shady and isn't as much of an inconvenience as ducking under the tower since the tower is permanent and the bimini isn't always up.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
Like this...
Old 04-30-2017, 10:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProSport 205, 351 - 285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
I'd reccomend the full tower with the bimini lower. Ducking under the bimini will make the bimini more shady and isn't as much of an inconvenience as ducking under the tower since the tower is permanent and the bimini isn't always up.
Do you still have to duck under this when it's not being used? Can't tell from the photo where/how it folds to store.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
If you go with a full tower and mount the bimini higher, you'll actually have a slightly larger shaded area when the sun is not overhead. It won't be much larger, but there will still be a difference (assuming that the two bimini tops are the same size). Of course, the low bimini will do a better job blocking 'extra' light- it will provide better shade, but just less of it.
I definitely like the look of the low tower, but going from a low bimini on a 190 to a high bimini on a full tower, I LOVE not having to duck down all the time. Even after 3 years, I would still whack my head on the low bimini. High mount, absolutely no problems walking around underneath.
G