Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
Yet another prop question....

Ok, so i had an unforseeable boat ramp mishap that caused me to do some prop shopping. Planned on a new cnc in the spring so i just needed something to get me through. I found a used for half price of new so i jumped on it. Now the bad....it SUCKS!!! My boat is stock 85 with the slot. 14x18 prop that was on it was a little dinged and knicked ever since ive had it. I know that speeds should be similar to rpms and i was close. WOT 4500rpm 42-43mph and it always ran 32mph at 3500rpm... after boat ramp mishap due to low water level, and for some ungodly reason of there being a load of rock dumped at end of ramp and never spread, im guessing, my boat hit them as it slid off the trailer. Noticed 3500 rpm dropped to 30mph and holeshot dropped a little. Guess what, new to me prop is same if not worse!!!

Now the biggest question, how should i handle the seller? I asked repeatedly, is there any damage or anything to cause it to perform poorly. Seriously, i asked like 3 times on the phone. He said it was good. It looks 10 times better than my old one, but one blade does look like it has been repaired. Other than that, it honestly looks new. Or is there anything that would cause my boat to slack other than prop? Transmission maybe? No problem previously. Also noticed a little vibration out of the prop. I did notice a little after bending other one, non previously, but this one is worse. Also the holeshot SUPER SUCKS. May as well be in a bayliner.... any and all suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 prostar 197, mcx
How hard did you hit the prop when it grounded, have you checked prop shaft, do you have a friend who could poss try the new prop on their boat, just to try to rule out the prop or prove the prop bad.
Just a few thoughts.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark g View Post
How hard did you hit the prop when it grounded, have you checked prop shaft, do you have a friend who could poss try the new prop on their boat, just to try to rule out the prop or prove the prop bad.
Just a few thoughts.
I doubt i hit it hard enough to damage the shaft. It was more of a :back in the water:boat slid maybe 3' : stopped.... it wasnt sudden. I thought the guy i was skiing with did something wrong. Lol. Also, have no other way of trying out the new prop. Oh and i forgot to mention 38 mph was as fast as i could get it.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1413640751890.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  133.0 KBAttachment 119220Got time to take a couple pics, first is nice smooth new prop, second is damaged. Keep in mind they perform the same. Second may be a little better.....
Old 10-18-2014, 11:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Crap, here's the new one
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
First off, what's the size of the new prop? Is it the same 14x18 as you originally had? Is it the same manufacturer?

Second, sit down and look at the prop. Damage that's enough to cause the performance loss you see should be visible. I'm assuming this is a 4-blade prop; visually line up the pairs of blades across the hub - does one side look bent forward or backwards? Look at the prop edge-on - is one of the blades leaning forwards or backwards? Use a straightedge while doing these if necessary.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Used prop always begs for an issue - usually a good to have as a spare to get ya back if something happens. For half price of new you can't expect much from seller - for a couple of hundred bucks call it tuition and buy new - call OJ - see if they can fix your old prop and turn it into your back up prop. Or find a local good prop shop and have it fixed and get an ACME...
Old 10-18-2014, 01:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
First off, what's the size of the new prop? Is it the same 14x18 as you originally had? Is it the same manufacturer?

Second, sit down and look at the prop. Damage that's enough to cause the performance loss you see should be visible. I'm assuming this is a 4-blade prop; visually line up the pairs of blades across the hub - does one side look bent forward or backwards? Look at the prop edge-on - is one of the blades leaning forwards or backwards? Use a straightedge while doing these if necessary.
Both are three blade oj... original prop for my boat, like i said new to me prop looks almost new. It's weird!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
If you buy a new prop from OJ they'll fix your old prop for free. Great deal!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinglow View Post
If you buy a new prop from OJ they'll fix your old prop for free. Great deal!
That does sound good... may be what i do..