Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X10 350 tbi
Water in Bilge

I have a 2002 x10 and I have noticed there to be several inches of water in the bilge at the end of the day and the bilge pump was not pumping it, so I started looking around and found the bilge pump to be at the very back of the boat by the motor and not in the center where all the water drains. Im assuming because of this its fairly normal to have a good bit in the bilge before it will start pumping? And why in the world would they not put the pump at the low point?
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X25 6.0L, Gen 2
Im guessing its because there is always some expected water back there and they didn't want the bilge to run full time. But I don't know for sure. My X25 always has water back there too.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Its sort of a mixed bag - if you mount the bilge forwards where it would pump most water at idle then the water won't be there when on plane it will flow back. and be away from the pump. I've been debating either moving my pump to the rear or installing a second pump in the rear of the boat for this exact reason.

Most of the pumps won't "prime" and pull less than 1/4-1/2" of water - if you want a pump that will it needs to be a much more $ diaphragm type pump - these are often more remotely mounted with a pick up tube that can be put down in the bilge. The regular pumps will also back wash when they shut down and fill the bilge again.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Most of the MC's I've seen have two. One amidships next to the center drain plug and one next to the motor. I don't see any reason you couldn't add one if you only have the one.