Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I’ve been reading up on Powerstars, this article is on the 98 Powerstar, but nonetheless, I can not believe such a rare beauty has come up for sale.

=====

For years, outboard ski boats have occupied a special niche within the ranks of competitive barefooting. For 1998, MasterCraft wants to enlarge that niche by offering an outboard-powered ski boat that offers not only exceptional barefoot performance, but also well-rounded all-event skiing and general boating potential.

The boat designed to accomplish this goal is the PowerStar 200. At first glance, it might seem to be a reincarnation of the highly successful Barefoot 200, when in fact it is a new hull that is 5 inches longer, 4 inches wider and offers significantly greater interior volume.

The most obvious difference between this and barefoot boats of the past is the PowerStar's open-bow configuration, which offers a surprising amount of legroom and depth. A full-height windshield, generous fore and aft storage lockers, “off-the-floor” seating and relatively high gunwales further distance the interior from those of the stereotypical low-slung “barefoot special.”

In keeping with its mission as an all-around ski boat, the 200 is fitted with a center-mounted WearGuard ski pylon, twin tournament speedos, a stainless-steel rope deflector and a pair of tracking fins. The boat is AWSA-approved for barefoot tournament use simply by adding the Competition Package, which includes a pair of rear-facing bucket seats, a center walk-through seat and a front-facing competition speedometer.

To gauge the success with which the PowerStar 200 meets the third element of its mission statement – that of being an all-around family sport boat – one must compare it not only to outboard specialty boats, but also to outboard runabouts. As previously noted, the 200's bow seating, interior layout and storage capabilities mirror those of a general-purpose runabout. But unlike many “recreational” runabouts, the 200 is built to the same high standards as other MasterCraft models. The hand-laid hull is fabricated with low-profile polyester resin, and incorporates an all-glass monocoque integrated stringer system, aluminum floorboards and all-stainless hardware. The combination of leading-edge “no wood” construction and premium carpet and upholstery results in a boat that will hold its looks and value for years to come.

On the water, the 200 proved to be both responsive and civilized. At speeds approaching 60 mph, the 200 provided precise, predictable handling, with secure responses in the turns. Equipped with a High-Five stainless steel prop, the 200-hp Mercury power plant delivers plenty of oomph for all-event skiing. While a prop switch could push the boat past the 60 mph mark, we would favor the factory-specified five-blade for its balanced combination of acceleration and top end.

As expected, the boat earned favorable marks from our barefooters, who found firm, well-defined wakes with a low-turbulence table. The slalom team noted low wakes and minimal spray, without the hardness associated with typical outboard models. Beginning and advancing skiers can head for the course without fear of rooster tails or prohibitive wakes, and even high-end shortline jocks will be impressed, although the driver will need a little throttle-and-wheel practice to accommodate hard pulls beyond 28 off.

After adding up the numbers and checking the notes, the WaterSki test team agreed with MasterCraft. The PowerStar 200 is not just a reincarnation of a former tournament barefoot boat. It is a more user-friendly take on an outboard ski boat that will please folks who not only foot, but also ski and sometimes use the boat without a tow rope attached.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
After reading that marketing spin, now I want it.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I’ve been reading up on Powerstars, this article is on the 98 Powerstar, but nonetheless, I can not believe such a rare beauty has come up for sale.

=====

For years, outboard ski boats have occupied a special niche within the ranks of competitive barefooting. For 1998, MasterCraft wants to enlarge that niche by offering an outboard-powered ski boat that offers not only exceptional barefoot performance, but also well-rounded all-event skiing and general boating potential.

The boat designed to accomplish this goal is the PowerStar 200. At first glance, it might seem to be a reincarnation of the highly successful Barefoot 200, when in fact it is a new hull that is 5 inches longer, 4 inches wider and offers significantly greater interior volume.

The most obvious difference between this and barefoot boats of the past is the PowerStar's open-bow configuration, which offers a surprising amount of legroom and depth. A full-height windshield, generous fore and aft storage lockers, “off-the-floor” seating and relatively high gunwales further distance the interior from those of the stereotypical low-slung “barefoot special.”

In keeping with its mission as an all-around ski boat, the 200 is fitted with a center-mounted WearGuard ski pylon, twin tournament speedos, a stainless-steel rope deflector and a pair of tracking fins. The boat is AWSA-approved for barefoot tournament use simply by adding the Competition Package, which includes a pair of rear-facing bucket seats, a center walk-through seat and a front-facing competition speedometer.

To gauge the success with which the PowerStar 200 meets the third element of its mission statement – that of being an all-around family sport boat – one must compare it not only to outboard specialty boats, but also to outboard runabouts. As previously noted, the 200's bow seating, interior layout and storage capabilities mirror those of a general-purpose runabout. But unlike many “recreational” runabouts, the 200 is built to the same high standards as other MasterCraft models. The hand-laid hull is fabricated with low-profile polyester resin, and incorporates an all-glass monocoque integrated stringer system, aluminum floorboards and all-stainless hardware. The combination of leading-edge “no wood” construction and premium carpet and upholstery results in a boat that will hold its looks and value for years to come.

On the water, the 200 proved to be both responsive and civilized. At speeds approaching 60 mph, the 200 provided precise, predictable handling, with secure responses in the turns. Equipped with a High-Five stainless steel prop, the 200-hp Mercury power plant delivers plenty of oomph for all-event skiing. While a prop switch could push the boat past the 60 mph mark, we would favor the factory-specified five-blade for its balanced combination of acceleration and top end.

As expected, the boat earned favorable marks from our barefooters, who found firm, well-defined wakes with a low-turbulence table. The slalom team noted low wakes and minimal spray, without the hardness associated with typical outboard models. Beginning and advancing skiers can head for the course without fear of rooster tails or prohibitive wakes, and even high-end shortline jocks will be impressed, although the driver will need a little throttle-and-wheel practice to accommodate hard pulls beyond 28 off.

After adding up the numbers and checking the notes, the WaterSki test team agreed with MasterCraft. The PowerStar 200 is not just a reincarnation of a former tournament barefoot boat. It is a more user-friendly take on an outboard ski boat that will please folks who not only foot, but also ski and sometimes use the boat without a tow rope attached.
I wonder why there wasn't a 2000 Prosport in the configuration?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-Star
$22,500...http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/4407038494.html
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
This has to be the best looking boat ever posted on this forum.

Hands down, what a gorgeous sexy girl...

To the OP: Please get back to me - I'd love to take her off your hands.
im trying to decide if youre joking! Lol
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
500 gal fat sack = 4000lbs of water
that's one big sack
Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
500 gal fat sack = 4000lbs of water
that's one big sack
I'm hoping that was a typo and should have been 500 pound fat sack. Beautiful boat if it exists.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Powerstar
Thanks guys. I'm asking $25k because of the rarity but I am willing to play ball. I am going to try to post more pics early next week.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Powerstar
You are correct about the fatsack typo! 500 lbs!

Regarding the location: I accidentally entered "Northwest" when I registered the other day. Meant to click "Northeast" which I have since corrected. The boat does in fact have NJ registration as we had it located in Ocean City, NJ in dry storage from 1999 until 2008. It did run in saltwater during those summers (June they August only then winterized religiously). It never stayed in the water overnight and was put in a covered building every night via forklift. That is why we never even owned a trailer hence the 2009 Venture. In 2010, we moved it to Pittsburgh for 2 summers of river boating. I will post pics of the boat with skyline of the "City of Champs" in the background. They are pretty sick.

Sorry for the confusion!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Too bad I don't have the room for it. Would make a nice stable mate for my PS200.

Great looking boat. Good luck with the sale.

Tags
barefoot, outboard, powerstar, trailer