Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
High Power stereo option

Ok if you order a new boat with the High Power stereo option it comes with a JL700 5 channel amp. If you wanted to use this amp and add 2 JL tower speakers what amp would you add and what configuration would you use to get the bast sound quality?

Ready Go.................
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
Ok if you order a new boat with the High Power stereo option it comes with a JL700 5 channel amp. If you wanted to use this amp and add 2 JL tower speakers what amp would you add and what configuration would you use to get the bast sound quality?

Ready Go.................
That is a great amplifier. And you could run four in-boat speakers on the front (1&2) two channels with the two tower speakers on the rear (3&4) channels.
But, it is not enough power. Period.
Check in with Odin at Earmark Marine for JL Audio configurations. He has the April JL Audio marine sale going on now.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM
MC Maniac

Do you have a phone number for him I tried to call Earmark and i was not able to get through to anyone. I just had the option of leaving a message.

Also I would like to get all I could out of the factory amp and still meet the max recommended for the speakers. Can I run the sub at 2 ohms? How do I do that?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
Do you have a phone number for him I tried to call Earmark and i was not able to get through to anyone. I just had the option of leaving a message.

Also I would like to get all I could out of the factory amp and still meet the max recommended for the speakers. Can I run the sub at 2 ohms? How do I do that?
When they don't pick up that usually means they are presently in a conversation. I would imagine they are always busy this time of year. So just leave a message. Or email with the provisions on their site. I'm sure that like most people they respond in the order that messages are received.

If a woofer is a 4-ohm single voice coil, there is no way you can reconfigure to lower the impedance to match the amplifier single channel 2-ohm rating. However, even though that amplifier is not regulated, when tested, it does deliver a high percentage of its 2-ohm power into a 4-ohm load specifically on the sub section. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should load an amplifier all the way down to the maximum power/minimum impedance on all channels simultaneously.
The JL Audio factory-equipped speakers are excellent but are under-powered in the factory offering. The only way you will add tower speakers and reach their potential is to add another amplifier.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Maybe run the in boats and the sub off the factory amp and add a second amp for the tower.

I'm so out of the loop I'm in a square.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
MC Maniac

Would I be better off adding another amp to run the boat speakers and use the 700 with the channels bridged to run the tower. This would give me 180W to the tower. I think?

Also is the 700 sub channel enough for the sub to perform at its best?