Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Staged System Purchase and Installation - Advice Please

I want to put a stereo in my PS209 for this summer - It currently doesn't have an audio system at all...

I don't think I want to bite the bullet and purchase everything at once, so I'm seeking advice on what to purchase first...

I've done some research and have decided that these components will meet my needs to have a decent sounding system where we can listen to music while underway and while floating/swimming or anchoring in the idle zone. I'm not really interested in being able to hear the system while skiing or boarding from behind the boat, but thought that tower speakers would get the sound up out of the boat so that it could be heard better when we are swimming.

I'm not looking to purchase JL Audio or Wetsounds or anything else, as I am not interested in having the loudest stereo system on the lake or busting the bank... so please don't advise me to purchase something else. I'm simply looking for recommendations about the best way to add to the system over time to complete the total package...

Total installation will include:

Polk Audio...MM6501UM...6 1/2" Component Speakers
Polk Audio...MM1040UM...10" Subwoofer
Polk Audio...MM10UMG.....Subwoofer Grill
Fusion.........MS-IP700i.....Receiver
Fusion.........MS-NRX200i..Remote
Fusion.........MS-DA51600..5 Channel Amp
Krypt ..........6 1/2" Speaker Cans

Right now I am leaning toward purchasing the Fusion receiver, 2 pairs of the Polk 6 1/2" Component Speakers and the Krypt Speaker Cans to start. I would install the cans and one pair of the speakers on the tower and install the other set of speakers in the kick panels under the rear seat. I would initially power the speakers through the receiver's two powered zones 1 & 2.

Later I would add the Sub, Amp and a Transom Remote and then would be powering all of the speakers through the 5 channel amp.

We will predominantly use an older iPhone 4 (that we no longer use as a phone) as the source of the music that we play, and since the Fusion allows independent volume control of 4 different zones, I thought it would be better to install it right away, rather than wait on the receiver and install the amp and sub and use an adapter to just connect the iPhone directly to the amp's line-input.

Ideally, I'd install it all at once, I realize that, and I'm sure that people will say that there are better speakers out there, etc... I just really don't want to start the season without tunes on the boat.

The one component I'm not really sure about are the cans... I like the Krypt cans because they completely conceal the wiring within the tower, and I like that clean look. Perhaps there are other cans out there that would do the same thing, so if you are aware of a good can to use, I'd be open to advice there...

I suppose an easier solution would be to simply purchase a bose bluetooth rechargeable speaker and just throw it on the floor of the boat... but... I'd rather have a dedicated system in the boat.

Are my plans solid, or am I way off base here?

Go...
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I had a full polk system on my 205V a few years ago. Sounds like you have all the bases covered, and the polk sounds great and will do exactly what you're trying to accomplish! maybe go a different route on the amp, the polk class D amps are pretty good.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Aric

Thanks for the advice on the Amp - I'll look into that...
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The Polk DB series speakers are great bang for the buck speakers. The MM, while more expensive, are probably worth it, and I'd have gone that route if I could do it over again. Check the Polk Store on ebay. Good deals there. I have an 8" Polk MM Sub in a sealed enclosure in my closed bow and, with not a ton of power to it, have been really pleased with the results.

I'm using a 5 channel infinity to power mine, but Aric's right about the Polk amps. Very clean sounds. I have a four channel in my car putting out about 90 watts per channel RMS to a set of 3-ways in the front and two ways in the rear and have been very happy with it.

Again, it won't set the lake on fire or kill fish, but it's a solid setup you have in the works.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
+1 for the polk class D amps. Have the mono and 4ch installed in our 205V and they rock!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I am not sold on the Fusion equipment. Notice none is CEA-2006 power rated. That means you may not be getting all you think you should, over the spectrum, with control.
Polk or others would be a surer bet.
Cant stress enough, separate amps for full range speakers and subs.

Personally, I would get a pair of Krypt 6.5 hlcd to go in the cans. He was selling them for $175/pr not long ago so a call might get you a deal. Skip the other in-boats if you have to and point the cans down more. Projection will be much cleaner.

This would mean you would have to jump ahead and get the amp and wiring now which will set you back another $300-400 in budget at your current quality levels but you will be much ahead in sound.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
The only thing I would add, and I apologize for adding to your list, but I'd suggest a second set of in-boat speakers, so you have speakers in the bow seating area and in the main passenger area. Should sound better, and you won't have to crank the volume as high so folks up front can hear while you're at speed.

Having said that, I'm planning on upgrading my system this summer, and I certainly like the components you've picked out. May have to copy some of your choices.
G
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 PM
MC Fanatic

So... Long range... I may decide to add HLCD speakers to the cans on the tower, and if I do, I would move the Polks from the cans into the bow...

But, to be honest, I really don't think I want to cut holes in my nice Viper Customs interior to mount speakers in the bow area...

That may just end up being the place you go to have quiet...

Looks like I will go with the Polk Amp, over the Fusion, but I'm still leaning toward the Fusion head unit. I really like the zone volume control it offers.

I'll start piecing things together...
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

Old 04-05-2014, 12:42 AM
MC Fanatic

I've made a slight change in plans...

I'm sticking with my staged installation plan, but rather than wait on the amp, I'm going to hold off on the head unit and transom remote and decided, based on some suggestions here to go with the Polk amp instead of the Fusion...

Here is what I decided to do...

Polk Audio...MM6501UM....6 1/2" Component Speakers (2 pair)
Polk Audio...MM1040UM....10" Subwoofer
Polk Audio...MM10UMG......Subwoofer Grill
Polk Audio...PAD-5000.5....5 Channel Amp
JL Audio......CL-RLC...........Remote Level Control
Krypt ..........6 1/2" Speaker Cans

Since the primary source of audio will be an old iPhone 4 (basically used as an iPod), I decided that I would use the JL Audio Remote Level Control to connect the iPhone directly to the amp. It increases the line output of the iPhone 4 so that the input into the amp will keep me from having the gain turned up so high. The disadvantage is that I will not have zone level volume control right now, but I can wait on that, or I could put additional Remote Level Controls into the mix of the system and have individual volume knobs for each channel before the signal reaches the amp and never even install a head unit. EDIT - I downloaded the manual for the CL-RLC and learned that one set of the outputs is controlled by the volume knob on it and the other set are pass through and the volume is controlled exclusively by the input source's volume control, so it appears as though I will still have zone level control of two zones with this one simple device... I may never install a head unit...

I'll end up mounting the iPhone inside a LifeProof case and putting it on a ram mount. I'll install a USB socket and wire it up to the 12V cigarette plug below the throttle and get a short USB to iPhone charging cable.

This should make for higher quality sound than I would have had without the Amp in the system right from the start and I can always add a head unit and transom remote later...

Hopefully I can get everything ordered, delivered and installed before the season starts here... We've had tons of rain in the last two days, so the lake will certainly be full, but it's going to get down to 31 degrees here tonight, so the season is still off in the distance a bit...
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

Last edited by TripleThreat; 04-05-2014 at 09:51 AM.