Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
197 Battery Box Drainage

Curious if anyone has a solution to adding a drain to the 197 battery box... Drives me crazy when I wash the carpet or water comes over the bow, it fills the battery box and have to get in there and drain it out with a shammy or towel....
Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
The point of the box is to contain battery acid if the battery were to leak so a drain is not a good idea. Battery acid and fiberglass are not a good combo.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
So I would stick with the towel.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
So I would stick with the towel.
^^^^ x10
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I bought a plastic battery box that fit in perfectly and sticks up above the level of the floor by about an inch and a half. The amount of water that can fit between the plastic box and the hole in the floor is minimal and with the lid on, no water gets in the box. I did have to do some minor modifications around the box handles so it would fit all the way down to the floor of the hole.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

I get that you want to contain battery acid but most people have their spare batteries mounted on a plate on their carpet. I was thinking about putting a drain hole and hose possibly to where it would drain into the bilge. Acid is Acid but it dissipates fairly quickly. Weather its in the battery box, which is fiberglass or in the bilge, seems it will all go to the same place (driveway).
Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I bought a plastic battery box that fit in perfectly and sticks up above the level of the floor by about an inch and a half. The amount of water that can fit between the plastic box and the hole in the floor is minimal and with the lid on, no water gets in the box. I did have to do some minor modifications around the box handles so it would fit all the way down to the floor of the hole.
Think this might be an option, I want to cut the box I currently have to make its sit higher and wider for two batteries.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Be careful drilling the drain hole.

I am pretty sure that it is not a clear drain to the bilge. If I remember correctly, the battery box is adjacent to a chase that runs from the engine compartment to the battery box and then to the dash. Although the chase is open to the bilge, the cutout openings in the bulkheads are substantially higher than the bottom of the bilge and the chase does not drain easily to the bilge. If you use the chase as a drain, you are going to need to drill additional holes to let it drain correctly. You will probably see what I am talking about once you get into it.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Be careful drilling the drain hole.

I am pretty sure that it is not a clear drain to the bilge. If I remember correctly, the battery box is adjacent to a chase that runs from the engine compartment to the battery box and then to the dash. Although the chase is open to the bilge, the cutout openings in the bulkheads are substantially higher than the bottom of the bilge and the chase does not drain easily to the bilge. If you use the chase as a drain, you are going to need to drill additional holes to let it drain correctly. You will probably see what I am talking about once you get into it.
I was looking at that the other day, I can see down inside of the hull where the battery cables run in. I'd have to cut a hole in the bottom, then plum a hose to the bilge would be the best bet.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Defeating the purpose of the design by draining to bilge. Acid gases are toxic to breathe and creates all kinds of even nastier toxic gases when in contact with various metals. I think you would be taking a huge risk by not containing it in a inert container like battery box...