Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2006, 8.1
Wet Sounds WS-420 vs. Fusion 700 Series

Hi all -

I'm about to upgrade the audio in our boat, and as part of the upgrade I'd like to have easy control over the volume levels of different zones/channels: 1) bow speakers, 2) other 4 in-boat speakers, 3) tower speakers, and 4) subwoofer. I'm considering two different approaches for this: the Wet Sounds WS-420 equalizer or upgrading my Clarion CMD4 to one of the new Fusion MS-IP700i head units.

WS-420 (Pros):
  • More tone level adjustability (pretty sure)
  • Easy access to each volume knob
  • The perk of of a PA system

WS-420 (Cons):
  • 3 zone control - would need to combine bow and other in boat speakers to a singe zone. Not a big deal.
  • More knobs for other people to mess with
  • Not as clean - doesn't look factory
  • More complex install - more wiring

Fusion MS-IP700i (Pros):
  • 4 zone volume control
  • Can set a max volume limit for each zone
  • Bluetooth, USB, iPod integration
  • A nice update over the Clarion CMD4
  • Cleaner install - looks more factory
  • Easier Install - less wiring

Fusion MS-IP700i (Cons):
  • Less tone level adjustments
  • No PA system
  • Not as quick and easy to adjust each zone volume? May have to go through menus? *Not sure

Are there any other pros or cons I'm missing? I'd like to hear your thoughts and inputs to help sway me one way or the other. It'd be great if anyone has direct experience with both and could give a comparison.

Thank you!

- Nick
Old 03-31-2014, 12:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Are you using any remotes? I see that as a plus. I'm looking at the Fusion 700i + remote. The remote allows for zone control as well. From the water you could turn up the tower speakers whereas with the WS you'll need to get in the boat.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
The ability to change tower speaker volume and scroll playlists from the remotes would make the fusion the clear winner in my book. Plus if you've got a high powered system, volume max limits are a good thing to keep the random jack wagon from cranking it and costing you a quick couple of grand.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
no experience with either... however I'll say this (I have a stock clarion with button remote at the helm) I wish that I had a volume knob in easy reach. When a rider falls and the tunes are blaring trying to drop the volume quickly and pickup a rider is a pain. Granted there is a "mute" button there but it also has its drawback as it's back to full tilt when unmuting. In my case I wish the mute was a "soft" unmute in that it would slowly ramp back up to not fry everyone in the boat out.

Not really a help but the the huge plus I would envision with the WS420 is a knob you can quickly turn.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2006, 8.1
I decided to move forward with the Fusion route. I'll report back with my results. If it doesn't do everything as well as I'm hoping, I guess I can always add a WS-420 at any time.

I hear you about the need to turn down volume while picking up a fallen rider. I'll be installing this remote on the driver's side in place of the Clarion remote. It has a knob that can quickly adjust overall volume, and while I'm not sure how quick/easy it is, it can also control individual volume of 4 different zones. I may still look into a speed based volume control such as the boost box or the HSE Revolution if I can find one.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 BF200 yamaha Pro V 200
Im watching this thread. Im looking to do an install and Im also looking into the alpine range of head units
Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
A bit older thread, so late to the party. I installed the 420 last Summer. The eq really helps with getting a good sound out of my Rev10s. Meh, regarding the PA system. The ring dials on the 420 are cheap and seem like they will fail in time. The biggest problem with the 420 is I developed a slight hiss in all my speakers once I stalled the 420 (engine running or not, on dual, single or triple batts). Countless hours trying to figure out the cause of the hiss, but to no avail. Even used the WS 420 wire kit. For this reason alone, I'd recommend not going with the 420. Rather disappointing piece of equipment. I love all my other WS equipment, but the 420 is a steaming pile of bilge sludge. Sounds like you made the right call. Updates?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I went the same route but with an Alpine head unit and the wireless Alpine remotes. I have also made a quick switch to kill control signal to the amp running the tower speakers to kill them completely if necessary. Overall happy with how the setup is running. Only issue I need to deal with is figuring out a cleaner way to mount the alpine unit since its a double din and factory was a single din.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
In nearly 7 years experience with Wet Sounds, I have yet to see a broken knob.

A line driver, such as the 420, will often time amplify noise thats already present in a system, but was previously inaudible. The next most common cause of "hiss", is whats called gain his. This is a result of amp gain thats too high. This cna happen when an EQ is added to an existing setup. When any piece of equipment is added in on the source line, its best to retune the system.

The WS-420 EQ has not been a source of unwanted noise, since the release of the 2nd gen, which was about 5-6 years ago. The new SQ version is about as quite a piece of equipment there is. Just for chits and giggles, we've run the EQ and amp gains wide open, just to see. We've used weak Ipods and cheap blue tooth receivers, and unfixable noises have not been a problem.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
With my SQ, we tried everything suggested by the retailer and WS. Probably should have just sent it back and tried another. I finally gave up and live with the hiss (which is only noticeable when the volume is low, b/t tracks or on mute). I've learned most problems can be cured (whether it be engine knocking, nagging spouse, or stereo hiss) by just turning up the volume.