Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCraft View Post
I'm pricing it out now, a few notes from the dealer (good friend)... If you're in really cold weather (-25F) there have been problems with the air suspension freezing up. I'm going to go coils no air ride. He also said go with the 392 rear end.

I may order one this week, says it will be June by the time it gets here. Lots of promos on right now, even on that truck...

Not a done deal but definitely not far off either.
"Friends pay retail"
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-15 Ilmor
It's a newer diesel so not much historical data on that particular engine. However, overall a diesel engine will run damn near forever without much maintenance. My Dad still has tractors that get used everyday that were built in the early 60's and they get way more abuse than any light truck will. There's no reason a light duty diesel would be any different, been using them in Europe forever. Fuel is more, no doubt about it and IF any maintenance issues come up they can cost more. I'm on my 3rd Cummins in over 10 years and have yet to have any issue with any of them, the new emissions systems and all.

If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton I'd be all over the Dodge diesel. I wouldn't put much stock into the gelling issue, lived for years in central Nebraska and never plugged mine in, started every time and never gelled.

It's early on and there are surely some kinks to work out but I think its a great option to get mileage and towing power in a half ton. I know a few folks with the EcoBoost and from what I hear it doesn't get the real world mileage that Ford claims, does tow as advertised though.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
I've had my Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi for a week now. I have the 3.92 rear end and the air suspension. The ride is super smooth with this suspension setup. The 8 speed transmission is very nice and will help out with the lower hp numbers. The cluster is telling me that my mileage is averaging 17.5 which I'm sure will get knocked down by at least 1 mpg when I hand calculate. One thing to consider is the payload numbers. I've been hanging around a couple of Ram forums and that has been the only concern that has come up. Depending on how they are optioned the payload numbers can suffer. There were restrictions on how you could configure these because of the weight- i.e. you could get a sunroof & air suspension, but you couldn't get the ram boxes. This may have changed by now. I know originally you couldn't order the 3.92 rear end, but that has been changed. I briefly considered the ecodiesel, but I don't tow enough to really see the advantage.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
go to ram1500diesel dot com for good info on the new ecodiesel.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
We've had 3 litre or thereabouts diesels for what seems like forever and are probably the most accepted displacement across all brands. I haven't driven the 8 speed as that has only just come on line in the Jeep. Judging by the amount of them on the road they are very popular. The 3 ltr in my Toyota is excellent, don't worry about 420 ft lbs as being to little a figure, in the toyota it arrives at 1450 RPM. That's right PEAK torque just off idle. As for resale Europeans suffer for cost of maintenance and parts but generally speaking after 3 yrs or so the depreciation on petrol powered vehicles is 50 % greater than diesel. Take the leap of faith and you won't look back. The only exception will be if you tow all the time then I would consider something larger. For what it is worth, turbo petrol and supercharged petrol versions have been tried and failed dismally. The fuel consumption of the diesels is a far better proposition in a larger vehicle for living with day to day.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
MC Fanatic

I brought one home last night, will let you know how it does this weekend. Headed out I-80 through PA. Up over Snowshoe towing a 209 I know it will be much better than the Q5 it is replacing as our tow vehicle.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
I brought one home last night, will let you know how it does this weekend. Headed out I-80 through PA. Up over Snowshoe towing a 209 I know it will be much better than the Q5 it is replacing as our tow vehicle.
Good luck!! We'll need some new Tow Vehicle pictures as well.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
A couple misconceptions bout diesels.
First, maybe the guy in Oklahoma had an instance of fuel gelling, but that's because it typically doesn't get that cold there so the additive package was not up to snuff. All cold weather areas cut #2 with #1 oil or low temp additives.
Only fuel gelling I've experienced in 25 years of driving or being closely associated with diesels was Denver a few years ago. Big sub zero cold snap and the suppliers were skimping on additive. Dead trucks and equipment all over town. Had to drive 100 mi to buy a case of diesel 911 to get our equipment running.
After working in -40F temps for the last winter, gelling was never a concern and DEF trucks ran fine up there. Better than the 1st gen dpf emissions trucks. Yes it freezes, but the tanks have heaters and they thaw the fluid once the truck is running.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 AM
MC Fanatic

With over 25 years in the construction / heavy equipment field in NE Ohio gelling was never an issue. Diesel 911 is your friend. Now, frozen water seperators because the operator was not checking their equipment was another issue. I'm excited to have a diesel again, but I'll tell you there is no exhaust odor, none. It's unbelievable.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Have not towed with it yet, but I understand pictures are required so here goes. Someone is happy not to have the beetle hovering over him as his first car.
Attached Images