Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
New Dodge 3.0L V6 Eco-Diesel

I'm looking for a new tow vehicle and wondering if anyone has towed with one of these yet?

Price seems reasonable compared to gas equiv, mileage observed is 26-28 depending on what site you read, either way seems decent... Couple of points here and there...

1. You need to add a liquid every 10k miles for emissions.

2. Torque seems impressive. Warranty is decent.

3. Resale on diesel should hold the extra 2-3k. May help with the traditional dodge free fall in resale (at least in my market).

4. Reviews all seem to give dodge the 2014 edge.

Would you get the dodge air suspension ?

Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006. Mastercraft maristar
Dodge diesel trucks run a lot here. Decent resale , but cost a lot less as well, V6 diesel been around forever.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
This diesel configuration has not - it's a 3l, not the big cummins in line 6.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Was at the show and they didn't yet have one. Said that production date was pushed back again. Using Diesel engine made by fiat in Europe. Rep said that they were expected to get 26 on. Highway and 21 around town. Also only $3k above the hemi option so not as much price gouging as ford and chevy. Looks like the US will finally get what most countries have had for years...
Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Before the brand war breaks out that im about to start, a few questions.

1) do you wanna be dodges test mule?

2) is the diesel upcharge at the pump worth it over the gas milage (aka how long would you keep it)

3) seems like its gonna be a massive dog with 2xx horses.
(Yes this isnt a question) haha

So lets ask this, have you looked into an ecoboost?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Ha, I am a 2012 MC test mule...so I get that one. Oddly enough the company they are using is more known for Marine grade motors than car/truck motors...VM Motori.

http://m.wardsauto.com/ward039s-10-b...iesel-dohc-v-6

Heavily bias articles, one more below...but reasonable details on why I'm thinking twice about a Dodge (sorry in advance to dodge owners not dis'ing your brand - I can provide real data on their resale here if needed).

http://m.motortrend.com/oftheyear/tr...k_of_the_year/

I would put 15-20,000 miles a year on it so the uplift is cash flow positive in savings.

Test drove the Eco-boost, nice truck. I didn't observe the fuel mileage it claims in a 25 minute test drive. The articles I've read and even the Ford dealer admitted that the numbers aren't accurate.

Again, I am not trying to start a brand war, just that diesel work horse trucks (250/2500 series) tend to hold decent value - no matter the brand. The gamble is whether or not this one will improve Dodge's resale with this entry in the 150/1500 light duty market. If I compare the Cherokee's with and without the diesel, they seem to do better on resale than their gas siblings.

The tow capacity of this one is 9200ish lbs, which should tow my X30 without much problems.

The 240HP isn't too impressive, 420ft-lb of torque at low RPM's is pretty decent when comparing to gas 150/1500 series light duty trucks.

I might pull the trigger on this one in the next few weeks...
Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
This truck is in my sights along with the 2015 Ford Ecoboost. Have yet to see a diesel Dodge on the lots around here as the production keeps getting pushed back. Rumor is we should see them trickle in next month. I'm going to wait a bit though. Not willing to pay a premium price to have one of the first off the lot. I'll wait for the new hype to wear off so I can test drive one and get a feel for it.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
If I could get by with a 1500, I would definately look into one of these new Dodge diesel 1500 without hesitation. I was raised in a GM family, die hard actually (father in law was GMC/Pontiac dealer) and about got disowned when I switched to a Dodge with a Cummins in 1991. When we upgrade my wife's 4Runner, I will look closely at the diesel Cherokee (and VW Toureg diesel) ... I wish I could talk her into driving a 1500 Truck (diesel), but she isn't having any part of it.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I'm interested to see how this thing performs as well. At 240 horses though... ouch. The ecoboosts are 365hp/420tq. You have 90% of your torque at 1700 RPMs in the ecoboost too. Oh... and put premium fuel in it and gain another 20 horses. While the mileage hasn't been what I expected with mine, the towing is superb. My main concern wasn't gas mileage when I bought a truck, although it would have been a nice bonus! My main concern was how well that suckers going to pull my boat when I want to travel with the boat in tow. I live around the Ozarks, the're very hilly with lots of turns, and you need a vehicle with some torque for all the rolling hills. I haven't had a chance to test it yet in those conditions, but I will for Memorial Day when I head down to Bull Shoals in AR. The only towing experience I have with it so far is pulling the boat about 45 miles at 65mph, and getting 12.5mpg doing it. I'll take it!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
They drive like a freight train, in a good way. Sooooo much torque, and the 8 speed makes it pretty damn quick. Why do you think they gave Ram truck of the year again? This powertrain package is awesome. I was plesantly surprised how fast it felt.

The urea injection is what it is. Its not that expensive really, but I can see it being a pain for some. Its only a matter of time before you see ICE engines havign somethign like this (not anytime soon, but it will happen).

Air suspension. Its nice. I like to use it in the highest setting when removing the trailer. Lower the jack, and then go to the truck and slam it. Go in reverse to hook up. Its kind of handy. Personally I would get the coils though. Less to go wrong.

I think these things should hold their value well, but the used market decides that.