Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 BF200 yamaha Pro V 200
Outboard Propellers

This is more for the outboard guys. Im currently running the stock 14.24 x 17' cast prop on my rig. However 1 blade is severly bent (not me the previous owner). Im going to switch to stainless steel as iI know from past experiences that they do improve boat performance.

The question I have is what props have you tested with what results?

Im thinking that a 14.25 x 19 3 blade may be a little bit better all round propeller. Yes I know this could open up a thread of "how long is a piece of string" but before i go spending big money on props I thought i would see what everyone else is doing.

Boat is mainly used for social skiing and im 135 KGs and 6'4. my partner is around 60 Kgs and 5'10. we usually have 2 people skiing and between 2 -5 (roughly 80 KGs each) people in the boat with a full fuel load.

Any results would be good. Cheers
Old 03-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Rockman has a BF200 - he'll chime soon
Old 03-23-2014, 04:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
I do not remember what pitch we have on ours. I think it is a 19 3/4...we have a 3 blade stainless. The reason we did not change to the 4 blade was due to the fact we already have enough pull out of the hole and did not want to loose any top end.

If you are doing alot of triple long line footers, then a four blade makes sense but you sacrifice alot then. That is just my opinion. I always wanted a four blade as they really look cool but never bit the bullet as they were pretty pricey.

I would suggest a stainless for sure...not sure how much you want to move away from the stock prop pitch for the Yamaha. Michigan propellers are good as well as Stiletto's (sp?).
Old 03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
I'm running a 17 pitch PowerTech ELE4 (4 blade) on my '88 PS200. My Mercury 200XRi will turn it up to 5800 rpm WOT which is at the upper end of the recommended WOT range. Boat will top out at 50mph with me and my 2 teen boys and 49 with my wife joining us. (The PS200 hull is pretty flat in the rear like a PS190 inboard so it has a high amount of wetted surface). The four blade has helped it with holding steady speeds pulling skiers and boarders and the holding power in turns increased as well.

Here's the link to PowerTech, they will also provide technical service to help you choose the best prop for your boat and how you plan to use it. http://ptprop.com/

Looked at the Mercury High-5 but couldn't find a loaner to try out and didn't want to get stuck with a $500 prop with the wrong pitch. I read where many BF200 owners run the 19 pitch High-5 with great results.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just purchased a 19 inch stainless steel vengeance 3 blade mercury propeller $ 240 AUD for the prop delivered to my door from interstate. is there anything i need to do to the hub to get my engine to accept the mercury prop? Do i need a flow torque hub conversion? any info would be good. they have the same 15 tooth spline shaft.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Check with who you ordered it. They should be able to tell you which hub kit it needs. I think most mercury props use the Flow Torque 2 hub with the plastic sleeve that breaks away with prop impact. Looking at the Mercury site the Vengence could also come with Flow Torque 1 which looks like it's a rubber hub with the steel splines.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
I'm running a 17 pitch PowerTech ELE4 (4 blade) on my '88 PS200. My Mercury 200XRi will turn it up to 5800 rpm WOT which is at the upper end of the recommended WOT range. Boat will top out at 50mph with me and my 2 teen boys and 49 with my wife joining us. (The PS200 hull is pretty flat in the rear like a PS190 inboard so it has a high amount of wetted surface). The four blade has helped it with holding steady speeds pulling skiers and boarders and the holding power in turns increased as well.

Here's the link to PowerTech, they will also provide technical service to help you choose the best prop for your boat and how you plan to use it. http://ptprop.com/

Looked at the Mercury High-5 but couldn't find a loaner to try out and didn't want to get stuck with a $500 prop with the wrong pitch. I read where many BF200 owners run the 19 pitch High-5 with great results.
My BF200 is the V bottom boat not the flat bottom. handles chop very well, Havent had the need to run it WOT yet as its continually raining here in the sunburnt country. Although If it keeps raining I wont have to go far to put the boat in the water. the vengeance should be here before the weekend so ill see what hub it has and what hub it needs and ill post some photos.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Skier View Post
This is more for the outboard guys. Im currently running the stock 14.24 x 17' cast prop on my rig. However 1 blade is severly bent (not me the previous owner). Im going to switch to stainless steel as iI know from past experiences that they do improve boat performance.

The question I have is what props have you tested with what results?

Im thinking that a 14.25 x 19 3 blade may be a little bit better all round propeller. Yes I know this could open up a thread of "how long is a piece of string" but before i go spending big money on props I thought i would see what everyone else is doing.

Boat is mainly used for social skiing and im 135 KGs and 6'4. my partner is around 60 Kgs and 5'10. we usually have 2 people skiing and between 2 -5 (roughly 80 KGs each) people in the boat with a full fuel load.

Any results would be good. Cheers
Make sure the prop shaft isn't bent and the cone isn't "egged". This is one area where stainless can be a problem- if a boater tends to be in water with a lot of obstructions, a prop strike can do more damage to the out drive.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post

True, the High-5 19" pitch is the best for Pro-V200. Excellent stability against pull + decent top end. I run a 4 blade stainless 14x21 w/the Yamaha 225F which has the same performance characteristics as a High-5.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
True, the High-5 19" pitch is the best for Pro-V200. Excellent stability against pull + decent top end. I run a 4 blade stainless 14x21 w/the Yamaha 225F which has the same performance characteristics as a High-5.

with the 21 inch pitch and the 5 blades doesnt it create alot of preload on the engine? Im under the impression that outboards required a certain amount of "slip" to get them into the torque range for pulling skiers out of the water? Hence I went for the 19 inch 3 blade, But For cruising during the winter Id be happy to throw a 4 or 5 blade prop at it just to see what it does performance wise.