Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Fuel Fill Ground Wires

While replacing my fuel tank sender, I encountered a ground wire attached to my fuel fill. The following thread containing a 2005 service bulletin talks about leaving such a ground wire disconnected, but appears to imply the recommendation does not apply to pre-1999 boats. Am I reading that correctly? Yet, I saw a longtime member post that he had disconnected the ground wire to the filler on a pre-1999 boat for safety reasons.

Possible Fire Hazard

I havenít completely disassembled this part of my 1994 boat, but it appears I have a metallic gas cap and chain and a metallic filler neck, for lack of a better term, that is inserted into a rubber hose that attaches to the top of my plastic fuel tank. Looking through the opening for fueling, I see metallic sides several inches down and then plastic deeper that is apparently inside the rubber hose. It looks like the section that would come in contact with a gas pump nozzle at a gas station is metal. I donít think such a nozzle would reach the plastic.

Is this 2005 service bulletin up to date? Why does the recommendation in it differ for plastic fuel fill assemblies with metallic caps and retaining chains as compared to all-metallic fuel fills? If your boat has such a ground wire attached to the fill, what have you done with it and why, especially if you have a pre-1999 boat?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Mine was only disconnected from PO. Now its completely removed.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
My guess is its a bonding wire. The bonding wire is to stop electrolysis which can happen from plumbing using dissimilar metals; and stopping this current from running through all of your metal components. The belief is that this bonding wire will bypass the conductive parts and extend the life of the pump etc.

You will see this most commonly on water heaters in houses. Where a bonding clamp and wire is run from the hot to cold copper supply lines. This again is thought to extend the life of the water heater itself by bypassing the electrostatic currents that flow through the pipes.

There is no arguing that these bonding wires work. In my best professional opinion I would leave it. It is no safety hazard to you.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

This regulation discusses the potential for a spark between a fuel nozzle and metal fuel fill or other metal fuel system component when fuel flowing from a dispensing nozzle generates a static electric charge. This appears to explain why the ground wire was attached to the fuel fill in the first place and why the above referenced service bulletin did not contain a blanket recommendation to remove the ground wire from the fuel fill, instead making a different recommendation based on the materials comprising the fuel fill.

FEDERAL LAW - 183.572 - Grounding
Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
This regulation discusses the potential for a spark between a fuel nozzle and metal fuel fill or other metal fuel system component when fuel flowing from a dispensing nozzle generates a static electric charge. This appears to explain why the ground wire was attached to the fuel fill in the first place and why the above referenced service bulletin did not contain a blanket recommendation to remove the ground wire from the fuel fill, instead making a different recommendation based on the materials comprising the fuel fill.

FEDERAL LAW - 183.572 - Grounding
Correct

Unless you have a water heater in your boat..

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
My 93 prostar has this wire and it connects to the fuel gauge sending unit. I believe it is there to avoid static buildup between the metal filler neck and the fuel in the tank. My 93 does not have a fuel pump in the tank since it has a carb.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Correct

My boat doesn't have a water heater, and I probably don't need one being in central Florida, but I'm curious what is the significance of a water heater relative to the issue of a grounding wire attached to the fuel fill.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
my '95 has this wire and it is connected to the metal fuel fill assembly - which inserts into a rubber fuel filler hose... so based on this I should disconnect.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo93prostar View Post
My 93 prostar has this wire and it connects to the fuel gauge sending unit. I believe it is there to avoid static buildup between the metal filler neck and the fuel in the tank. My 93 does not have a fuel pump in the tank since it has a carb.
The green wire I found attached to the fuel fill by one of the three screws that attaches the fuel fuel to the boat disappears into an area I haven't investigated but it shows continuity on my multimeter with the grounding point on the engine block.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Correct

The water coming out the exhaust is warmer than the lake water..........so does that mean I have a water heater??? What wires should I cut

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com