Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Can you not just go to the junkyard and get a low mile 351 from a truck (so you get the proper cam). Replace freeze plugs with brass ones. Switch over the intake and carb from the boat and all the accessories that are marine specific.

This is what I would personally do. Provided its the correct rotation.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Can you not just go to the junkyard and get a low mile 351 from a truck (so you get the proper cam). Replace freeze plugs with brass ones. Switch over the intake and carb from the boat and all the accessories that are marine specific.

This is what I would personally do. Provided its the correct rotation.
The cam will not be the correct cam. There is a difference between a truck cam and a marine cam. They are made identically the same as far as material and the process but the lift and duration is different. Will the truck cam work? Yes the boat will start and drive but it is not designed for low end and mid range torque. The next problem you find is that you want a lobe separation of 113*-115*. If you get too far off of those numbers then you can suck water back into the cylinders from the exhaust valves.

Buying a elcheapo truck engine from the wrecking yard would be my last choice.

I would tear down the engine you have now. Send it to a machine shop. Drop off the block, crank, and pistons. They will check all of the pieces. More than like if it is not cracked, they will clean the block and line bore it. Put new cam bearings and brass fittings in, resurface and balance the crank, and push in new pistons on the factory rods. This will be the most affordable and effective route. Let the machine shop do a valve job on the heads $200-300 and have him install them.

Basically you can get the original block and heads for ~$1500

If your heads are low output then upgrade to gt40p heads ~$500 and will give you more power. A lot more. Also get a new cam. I have the factory indmar cam in my boat and have the specs for a new cam. $250 for a custom ground cam.

Basically for $2500 and some labor on your part to remove it and install it, you could have 330-350 hp and love it. Lots of pulling power and lots of midrange. I've built a few engines for guys on this forum and reused the factory block. All of the boats run real strong and have lots of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
There is a difference between a truck cam and a marine cam. They are made identically the same as far as material and the process but the lift and duration is different. Will the truck cam work? Yes the boat will start and drive but it is not designed for low end and mid range torque.
I was under the impression that a truck cam was essentially a marine cam. Truck cams of this vintage are ground for low-mid rpm.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I was under the impression that a truck cam was essentially a marine cam. Truck cams of this vintage are ground for low-mid rpm.
I do not have measurements for a truck cam. TxsRiverRat had a bad cam lobe and I sent his cam to comp cams. They measured all of the good lobes and gave me the specs of what a new cam would be.

Custom grind $~250
Cam from indmar $~799.99

I personally was not willing to risk not having the correct cam over $250. After getting the cam card I've had another 3 cams made for me for other engines. If we had a card for an old truck we could compare. Also if comp had a cam that was as popular as the truck cam then why did they grind me 4 cams when they could have sold me off the shelf cams. Something has got to be different.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
When I swapped my stock cam for a lunati I measured and degreed the oe and heres what I got.

1989 250HP Indmar
All measurements are @ .050"
INT OPEN -11BTDC
INT CLO 41ABDC
EXH OPEN 47BBDC
EXH CLO -5ATDC
INT LIFT .280" @ LIFTER, .448" with 1.6:1 ROCKERS
EXH LIFT .280" @ LIFTER, .448" with 1.6:1 ROCKERS
INT DURATION @.050" 210°
EXH DURATION @.050" 222°
LSA 116°

Your mileage may vary...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft 190 1987 351 Indmar
I put the Lunati marine cam in mine and it works great, boat performs very well. I will check the spec's on it when I get home this weekend against that list, but if memory serves it will be close.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Don View Post
I put the Lunati marine cam in mine and it works great, boat performs very well. I will check the spec's on it when I get home this weekend against that list, but if memory serves it will be close.
The above specs were the original "mastercraft" camshaft
Lunati Voodoo 10350701LK is what I installed

Lunati Specs of installed
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/219
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .483/.499
•LSA/ICL: 112/108

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
MC Maniac

Here is what I have

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
MC Maniac

This was out of a '93 205 non molested 285hp gt40 engine.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351
I have just stumbled on what seems like a great deal and wanted some advice. I came accross a 1985 351 complete engine, transmission and all the extras. It includes the manifolds, atlernator, air cleaner, everything. The transmission is a powerslot. The motor has 700 total hours on it and the person that I would be purchasing from is fully restoring his boat to be a show boat and dropping in a new Ilmor. I'm looking at $1,200 for what he has to offer. What do you think? Will I run into issues putting a 1985 motor into a 1989 boat?