Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-18-2014, 05:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 MasterCraft X45ss
Low Oil Pressure

I have an 2009 X-45ss with the Indmar LY6, about 350 hours. The engine runs and sounds perfect, but the last time I used it, the oil pressure set off the alarm when I started it. I turned the engine off, checked the oil level, and topped it off with less than a quart. Turned it back on, no alarm, but oil pressure was hovering between 15-20 psi, regardless of the RPMs (i.e. even cruising, it would be about 17 psi).

I took it to the dealer, who confirmed the low oil pressure with a manual gauge. Dealer does not know what is causing the problem, and is recommending a new long block rather than spending the money to diagnose and repair, which strikes me as a little drastic. Any advice?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 03-18-2014, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Either way the engine is likely going to have to come out. Only when you get it apart will you know if cheaper to Fix or replace. Most times low pressure is due to a rod or crank bearing failure ( rare that oil pump goes out but sometimes does happen). If me, I'd check to see if oil pump bypass is not stuck ( or spring is broken ) causing the problem before pulling. If I remember correctly the relief can be checked on the outside of the engine on LS engine family...

If OK, pulling pan to
Inspect lower end will quickly tell if you have a rod or main issue without having to fully disassemble the entire motor.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
well that's quite a quick jump for repair - and that's pretty catastrophic diagnosis... I am surprised your having problems with so few hours. I would check the oil pump first... not sure if this engine has it but a clogged screen in the oil pan might cause this - since you only added less than a quart of oil. I would get a second opinion.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Pump screen plugged or I remember a guy in the marina had low oil pressure in a chevy v-8 that had a oil filter collapse internally. Check all avenues before going long-block.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Oil filter is a good idea to check. I'd expect that if the oil pickup screen was plugged, it would be symptom of a much bigger issue. Only time I ever saw that was back in the day arco was selling graphite motor oil. Most of the graphite fell out Of suspension and turned to sludge in the bottom of the engine, plugged up the pump, and fried the engine with ~ 30k miles on it. Arco wouldn't pay for the repairs and discontinued the oil soon after that. Amazed arco didn't end up with a class action lawsuit on that one!

Have seen gasket material hang up in the pressure relief valve causing low pressure. Good news is if you are able to achieve 20psi and this is the issue the motor probably is fine as oil film (not pressure) provides the film to prevent metal to metal contact.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
You're right, think this out, pressure is resistance to flow. Something is stuck open or there is something worn to the point it is letting oil flow to easy cutting down on the pressure.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
TT Newbie

Should have mentioned, the first thing the dealer did is change the filter and the oil. No effect, and the old oil (had about 20 hours) was clean. The engine is still in the boat. Can't do much else without taking it out. Once it is out, I don't know that they will be able to figure out what is wrong.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post
Should have mentioned, the first thing the dealer did is change the filter and the oil. No effect, and the old oil (had about 20 hours) was clean. The engine is still in the boat. Can't do much else without taking it out. Once it is out, I don't know that they will be able to figure out what is wrong.
A good mechanic should be able to find the problem.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
TT Newbie

Any ideas where to take it for a second opinion in So Cal?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Did you have this at a Mastercraft Dealer?

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***