Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02 prostar 197
tower question

I got a 02 prostar 197 at the end of last season. We love the boat and cant wait to get back on the water. It has an X-star tower mounted on it but the pads are cracked and not positioned straight. I plan on making some new pads and installing them, from the DIY info I have seen here on TT. The question I have is I looked at the under side of the tower mounts at the nuts and there is just a washer on the underside of the hull . It does look like there is a block inside of the fiberglass but I was just wondering if I need to put some kind of block or plate between the nut and the hull? There are some spider cracks around one of the rear mounts but that pad under the mount is the worst as far as position and condition. The tower does shack and rattle some now when on the water. It is not bad but I am not sure how much it should move. I realize it is going to move some but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Sorry if I don't make sense. If I need to explain more or post pics I can.

For anyone that has done DIY pads, how are they holding up? I am planning on ordering the Ultra-Strength Neoprene Rubber, Plain Back, 1/8" Thick, 4" Width, 36" Length from McMasters-Carr?

Thanks for any input and help.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
The pads I made out of shoe sole material are holding up great. The tower sucks down into the material not allowing it to shift or move like the cheap rubber stuff that it came with.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_n1 View Post
I got a 02 prostar 197 at the end of last season. We love the boat and cant wait to get back on the water. It has an X-star tower mounted on it but the pads are cracked and not positioned straight. I plan on making some new pads and installing them, from the DIY info I have seen here on TT. The question I have is I looked at the under side of the tower mounts at the nuts and there is just a washer on the underside of the hull . It does look like there is a block inside of the fiberglass but I was just wondering if I need to put some kind of block or plate between the nut and the hull? There are some spider cracks around one of the rear mounts but that pad under the mount is the worst as far as position and condition. The tower does shack and rattle some now when on the water. It is not bad but I am not sure how much it should move. I realize it is going to move some but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Sorry if I don't make sense. If I need to explain more or post pics I can.

For anyone that has done DIY pads, how are they holding up? I am planning on ordering the Ultra-Strength Neoprene Rubber, Plain Back, 1/8" Thick, 4" Width, 36" Length from McMasters-Carr?

Thanks for any input and help.
I swear i saw your boat at TX MC.....
Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM
TT Newbie

You may have, it has been there before. I believe the previous owener had the tower work, ect. done there.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM
TT Newbie

Russlars,

What specifically did you ask for at the shoe shop?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Russlars,

PM Sodar, he has the remake tower pads, very nice and for that tower. I would say what you have as far as backing plate is plenty, just make sure the nuts are tightened down really well. I say at the begiinning and end of every season give them a good turn. Spidering is to be expected sadly on that boat with the tower, not much there as far as deck support but if its just tiny spider cracks you are okay, the fiberglass does flex a little. Real simple to repair those cracks.

I have an 02 197 as well and live in south Dallas, need any help let me know.

936-465-2763
Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Quote:
Russlars,

I actually got my material from a friend who did the same thing for his tower. The material is about 6mm thick or so and is the comfort type sole material like you might see on a pair of old Hush Puppies (if you remember what those are). It is ridgid but has some flex to it so when you tighten the tower base down it compresses into the material a bit. I think he just went in and looked at what they had in the shoe repair shop and picked out what looked right. It was pretty easy to cut with shop type scissors and then we sanded it and rounded the edges with a Dremel tool with a sandpaper wheel on it.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 AM
TT Newbie

Russlars,

Thanks for the info.

TayMC197,

I sent Sodar a message and he doesn't have any, so I guess Ill be in DIY mode. I may be calling for advice or info in the future. Thanks for the offer. Have you ever done any gel coat work?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
I have done minor scratch repair and restoration. I have some stuff you might like for getting that shine back.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM
TT Newbie

Cool. Send me the info. I am prob going to try and take on the gel coat next week, when I get some time.

Thanks