Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Battery Minder/Tender

What is the best way to hook up a battery minder/tender? Currently I dis-connect boat battery cables and tend a free standing battery during the off season...but am wondering whether its OK to leave boat leads attached. A few times during the off season I work on boat a connect battery and dis-connect once finished. It is necessary?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Not at all necessary to disconnect battery. My charger/maintainer is always hooked up while the boat is in the garage. I'm always out there doing something with the stereo running.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Not at all necessary to disconnect battery. My charger/maintainer is always hooked up while the boat is in the garage. I'm always out there doing something with the stereo running.
In my mind, I was thinking that this would/could keep at little charge going to the ECM, the starter and other electrical components during the off season and possibly cause an earlier failure than not having them connected. Am I over thinking it?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
In my mind, I was thinking that this would/could keep at little charge going to the ECM, the starter and other electrical components during the off season and possibly cause an earlier failure than not having them connected. Am I over thinking it?
Those electrical items are connected to the battery for the other 8 months of the season with no failure. So no damage would be caused by having them connected to the battery during the off season. The key is to use a charger that does not put out too high of a voltage level while charging. That can damage those electrical components as well as over charge a battery.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Those electrical items are connected to the battery for the other 8 months of the season with no failure. So no damage would be caused by having them connected to the battery during the off season. The key is to use a charger that does not put out too high of a voltage level while charging. That can damage those electrical components as well as over charge a battery.
Here is what I use. Any thoughts on this system?
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
I use a Battery Tender Jr and leave the leeds on the battery all the time.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
I leave mine hooked up when not in use. It's so low amps it won't hurt a thing. Also it will keep your batteries fresh
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Add a Perko switch and you will have no worries. When you are done boating move switch to off and plug in your tender.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I have been using this Diehard charger for a couple of years now and have loved it. It analyzes your battery when you first hook it up. Then it will show you percent of charge until the battery is fully charged. I leave it hooked up to a garage queen car 24/7. It has worked great.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...7&blockType=G7

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
Add a Perko switch and you will have no worries. When you are done boating move switch to off and plug in your tender.
Excellent suggestion. I started researching online and looking at Perko 9601 and 9603 models.

9603 has an alternator field disconnect...and if I am understanding correctly, this would only be needed for a dual battery setup so the alt charges one or the other.

Both models state 250 amps continuous, 360 amps intermittent capacity but cranking it not listed.

Would this be recommended by TT'ers that have already been down this road...or should I be looking at other models. I am not planning on having second battery for stereo and/or other components.

Thanks