Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: x46
x46 Gen2 review.....my face still hurts from smiling

All right, after much anticipation, we finally spent the weekend playing and dialing in the Gen2 on the x46. I will try to keep this brief.

Quick set up on our scenario: We are the typical weekend warrior, family boaters. On any given weekend, we might have a boat full of kids (8 kids under the age of 11 in the immediate family, not to mention friends) or a boat full of “wanna-be” professional wakeboarders/surfers (this includes me!), or both. If it’s behind the boat, we cannot get enough. We have been part of the MC family since we bought a used ’01 X30 back in 2005. We recently moved out of a ’07 XStar into our ’14 x46. The primary reason for the switch was the additional space needed for the family and the 5-year warranty. Also, we wanted a boat that was more “turn-key” and could provide a good balance of wake performance w/ minimal effort.

Quick set up on the x46: Completely stock w/ Gen2 and 500# of additional bombsacs (250# on each side, rear locker). That is it. Nothing else. No additional sacs or ballast. Literally, nothing else. With the kids outnumbering the adults on the boat, we don’t have time or patience to sit and fill a bunch of sacs.

Saturday: 4 guys. Ballast 100%, bombsacs equally weighted. The 2 passengers sat on the respective surf side. Using only tabs, we surfed both portside, starboard, and wakeboarded in a 15 minute time period. Honestly, it is the best starboard surf wave I have ever witnessed (absolutely amazing), one of the best portside waves ever experienced (THE BEST PORTSIDE WAVE EVER EXPERIENCED W/OUT HAVING TO WORK MY TAIL OFF), and a wakeboard wake nice enough to throw heel and toe backrolls and countless 180’s (remember the part about “wanna-be”? If we were better the list trick would be longer and more impressive!). I am sure we could add more weight to get more displacement, but the point of us having this boat is to maximize the fun w/ the effort. It could not have been easier, and the waves could not have been better for what we are striving for.

Sunday: FAMILY DAY!!! 4 adults, 6 little kids. Ballast 100%, bombsacs equally weighted. Passengers running all over the place (imagine rats on the deck of the Titanic) w/ zero concern about giving the surfer some love and sitting in the proper place! The surf wave was absolutely epic. The only reason I stopped is b/c we made it to the swimming hole and the kiddos are more interested in jumping off the back than watching dad surf (Come on kids, help me out!). My 2 oldest nieces (age 11 and 9) both surfed for the first time w/out the rope and I’m sure it is a combination of my amazing coaching skills (maybe not) and the crazy, thick wave that was driving them forward. At one point, the 11 year old looked like she was 20 feet behind the boat in the “pipeline” (doesn’t hurt that she only weights 55 lbs).

Final conclusion: the x46 w/ Gen2 and a few extra #’s just delivered as anticipated. The beauty of Gen2, and not having to overexaggerate the listing of the boat, is that we can surf from the dock to the swimming hole. Swim. And then surf back to the dock w/out any of our passengers realizing what we are actually controlling w/ the ballast and tabs. For us, this is what we are looking for.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 Prostar 205
Nice write-up! The new boat fever continues....
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Old 06-23-2014, 02:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X-30
That's what it is all about. Can't put a price tag on that kind of fun!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurphyTX View Post
That's what it is all about. Can't put a price tag on that kind of fun!
It's funny that you say that b/c our dealer's famous line every time someone asks the price tag is "You can't put a price tag on family fun". He was actually on our boat this weekend with us, and when that 1 obnoxious person actually asked the question, he quickly responded w/ that line, and a smile....
Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Great review, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
So, is this the same X46 you had to replace the ballast tank on, or a loaner? I'm glad you're happy with it thus far regardless.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
That is a great write up!! Any chance you got some PICS of the wave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny_wiskas View Post
So, is this the same X46 you had to replace the ballast tank on, or a loaner? I'm glad you're happy with it thus far regardless.
It is the same 46 that had to have the tank replaced. I am going to give the update on the original post.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
That is a great write up!! Any chance you got some PICS of the wave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do and will try to upload. If not, i'll get some better one's next weekend.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 MC X15
Great stuff. I've been waiting to hear a good surf write-up on the X46.