Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2631  
Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 AM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Location: Twin Cities and Northern WI Cabin
Posts: 592
Try the 144. It has a tipped rear rail for really good on trail handling. If you compare it to a 121 and that's what you like then you might be disappointed but if you are comparing it to the 136 then I think you will be suprised. Plus it is lighter than the ProR!! I have ridden both and I would pick the 144. Plus these Assault have incredible resale for a sled. I am able to dump them every year at a great price.
Reply With Quote
  #2632  
Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Traxx822's Avatar
Traxx822 Traxx822 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Location: Chicago SW sub
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Try the 144. It has a tipped rear rail for really good on trail handling. If you compare it to a 121 and that's what you like then you might be disappointed but if you are comparing it to the 136 then I think you will be suprised. Plus it is lighter than the ProR!! I have ridden both and I would pick the 144. Plus these Assault have incredible resale for a sled. I am able to dump them every year at a great price.
I am comparing it to a 136. I forgot about the tipped up rail. We are going to buy them beginning of the second week in December. Me and a buddy buying 2 demo 2013's. We are still flipping the coin between switchback 136 and Assault.

I know they do have incredible resale value. That was half of my desire to get it. The other desire was because I prefer the look of a traditional tunnel.

I am just nervous since we ride i'd say 70% on trail that I would just get pushed through the corners with that 144. So do you know how many inches of the track are lifted in the rear rails.

I did forget that. Now your making me lean towards assault.
__________________
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11
Reply With Quote
  #2633  
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Location: Twin Cities and Northern WI Cabin
Posts: 592
I understand your dilemma. This my opinion from experience. If I was to clone myself and was racing myself thru the trail in the Yoop I would be faster on the Assault 144 versus the 136 Rush. The reasons; lighter and traditonal rail. The 136 pro ride works in the bumps and transfers very well under acceleration but ski lift hampers the hard cornering. Also the CG is higher on the rush and you have to really use your body to counter this in the corners. Also in the deep snow when you are stuck the rush rail is heavy and awkward to get out when buried. This is pretty nit picky stuff I know. If you are coming off a 121, the 144 might be too big a jump for you. At the end of the day you will be happy with either and your riding style will adapt to either. Have fun shopping and riding.

I don't recall the length of the tipped rail.
Reply With Quote
  #2634  
Old 12-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Traxx822's Avatar
Traxx822 Traxx822 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Location: Chicago SW sub
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
I understand your dilemma. This my opinion from experience. If I was to clone myself and was racing myself thru the trail in the Yoop I would be faster on the Assault 144 versus the 136 Rush. The reasons; lighter and traditonal rail. The 136 pro ride works in the bumps and transfers very well under acceleration but ski lift hampers the hard cornering. Also the CG is higher on the rush and you have to really use your body to counter this in the corners. Also in the deep snow when you are stuck the rush rail is heavy and awkward to get out when buried. This is pretty nit picky stuff I know. If you are coming off a 121, the 144 might be too big a jump for you. At the end of the day you will be happy with either and your riding style will adapt to either. Have fun shopping and riding.

I don't recall the length of the tipped rail.
Thank for the review. I ride a 136" now. So it's not that much bigger than what I'm used to. I also go out west and rent a 163 and don't have too much trouble either. I was worried the 144 would push through the turns better.

That's fine because I like the assault better. Will post up some pics when I get it here after first week december

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11
Reply With Quote
  #2635  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,734
After seeing a guy drop his Rush into overflow slush and pack it full of ice that even a team of ice picks couldn't get freed up vs my kid on his long tracked 340 going thru the same slush I'd get the Assault.
I think the Rush suspension is a gimmick personally.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #2636  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Traxx822's Avatar
Traxx822 Traxx822 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Location: Chicago SW sub
Posts: 2,367
Thrall, it certainly isnt a gimmick. At least I don't think they would do that. I think they are being pretty innovative. I have ridden a pro ride on trail and thought it did a wonderful job soaking up the bumps. I think the Assault is more key to my type of riding. But if I was buying a trail only sled it would be a 121" pro ride rush.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11
Reply With Quote
  #2637  
Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM
JohnnyB's Avatar
JohnnyB JohnnyB is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Location: Titletown
Posts: 2,845
Ski Doo did a similar design in early 2000s that came and went.

I think the Polaris version of the beaver tail suspension won't survive much longer either...not a clear advantage over current designs for 90% of riders...

Call it what you want....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Reply With Quote
  #2638  
Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Fast50dad's Avatar
Fast50dad Fast50dad is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 2003 ProStar 209
Location: Midwest
Posts: 334
Good grief, sold our son's 09 Z120 last night on CL. Went in less than 2 hours, 20 emails the next morning. Can't believe these sleds are retailing for $2650.

He now refers to my sled as "our's" since I sold "his".
__________________
2003 Prostar 209 Sammy Duvall
Reply With Quote
  #2639  
Old 12-19-2013, 10:05 AM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Location: Twin Cities and Northern WI Cabin
Posts: 592
Those youth sleds hold their value and when it time to sell they are gone in a day. I sold one of our 120s this year too.
Reply With Quote
  #2640  
Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Thrall, it certainly isnt a gimmick. At least I don't think they would do that. I think they are being pretty innovative. I have ridden a pro ride on trail and thought it did a wonderful job soaking up the bumps. I think the Assault is more key to my type of riding. But if I was buying a trail only sled it would be a 121" pro ride rush.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I haven't rode one so my opinion really isn't valid. Trail only it may be the cats @ss. Actually see a lot of them up here set up to run the iron dog. Also see them for sale pretty cheap used.
They do clog up with snow pretty easy.
I bed they fly though burnin up the rail bed to Hurley!
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.