Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 19.5 ft inboard ski boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Never ridden a RX-1ton, but I know my twin piped 800 RMK would toast a stock RX-1 back in the day.
As far as versatile trail/powder sleds go, I'd look for a 144 Rev Summit 800 or a new style RMK800 155. Both of those sleds handle good on the trail (Summit is the best on the trail) and are still stellar powder sleds.
Cat M sleds are not the best trail sleds, but if you keep the skis positioned in the wide position and have dual runner skis (increasing the effective front track width) they are decent and they kick @ss in the deep stuff.
None of these are the sit abck and relax sleds, all are rider forward, with the Rev being the most forward. I'm not even a Doo guy and no question, Revs are the best handling, easiest on your body trail sleds.
I rode a paddle track around the UP (my 800RMK) on the trails and it (or any other powder track) will do fine with ice scratchers. If you don't have scratchers on a paddle track you won't get 5 mi on a hard/ice trail without smoking the hyfax and/or overheating.
A buddy bought a Rev 144 Summit (in IL) with a 1.25 track and picks and said it rails, and all he needs to do to come out west is swap in a cheap takeoff paddle track.

FWIW, if you plan on any real riding out west I wouldn't even consider a crossover sled (Crossfire, Renegade, etc). You'd be changing tracks either way (x over or mtn sled) and the crossovers are still set up like a trail sled, wide front end, steeper approach angle on the track. Just go for a shorter powder sled.

Thanks for the advice. I've ridden the rx-ton short track, and loved it, but I want something that I can boondock and take out west.

I've ridden the M6, and I didn't think it was that rider forward; and I didn't like the Rev chassis at all. The one I rode must have been set up wrong for me, because I felt like I was riding something with leaf suspension.

I still need to try the RMK, I'll have to do that before I buy.

WATERSKI!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Cub View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've ridden the rx-ton short track, and loved it, but I want something that I can boondock and take out west.

I've ridden the M6, and I didn't think it was that rider forward; and I didn't like the Rev chassis at all. The one I rode must have been set up wrong for me, because I felt like I was riding something with leaf suspension.

I still need to try the RMK, I'll have to do that before I buy.
Then you will like the RX1 mtn. About as stone reliable of a sled as you can get.
The M sleds are the least rider fwd of the 3. Putting a bar riser on it (reccomended unless you're 5-3 or less tall) makes them feel more fwd. A 2010 high rise seat or aftermarket high rise seat makes them even a bit more fwd, pushes your knees up to the panels (pads are almost mandatory there for trail riding IMO. You're correct though with the 05-09 seat it's more laid back seating position. I got the 2010 seats this year for my M1000 and M7 and they're great for sit down riding (unless you want the laid back, back jarring cruiser ride).
It's been several years since I rode a Rev MXZ, but we rented some up in WI for 3 terrible days (mogul mashing the whole time) and there was no comparison to the old style sleds everyone else had in the bumps. Instead of your @ss getting shot up off the seat every bump, the sled rocked back and forth and you sat in the middle, no back crackers.
Rode a Renagade Rev (136 track) and it handled the same, didn't notice the longer track on the trail at all.
Assuming you're looking at 5yr old or so sleds (based offf the RX1 comparison), you need to try a Rev again. They are night and day difference in comfort compared to anything else offered several years ago. (Can't compare to the XP, Nytro, new F sleds, etc cuz I haven't ridden them.)

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 19.5 ft inboard ski boat
It's funny I had a much different experience on the mxz this weekend, the one I rented had a short track so I felt that it I was bouncing everywhere. My back killed me after the day, however we road 380 miles in one day.

WATERSKI!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
I am not brand loyal (except boats) but have always had Ski Doo sleds. I started with a new 2002 MXZ 700 and rode that for two years until I rode a REV. I am 6'4" and always felt cramped on a traditional style sled, but until the REV came out there was no other option. Getting on a REV made me feel in control of the sled instead of being along for the ride. Being in a natural position that allows you to transition to a standing position in a hurry for a big bump is also a nice feature. My current sled is a 2009 Summit Hillclimb 154 which is in the REV XP chassis. The big difference with the XP is that the seat is a little higher and you can put your feet an additional 8" forward (makes your shins vertical instead of a 45 degree angle like the REV).

If you really want one sled to do everything I would consider what Thrall said and find a mountain sled in the 144" range and possibly look at a shorter lug track (1.75") to make trail riding in thin snow a little easier on stuff. If you are looking for a (really heavy) four stroke I would look at the Yamaha Nytro XTX. It is a 144" track and with the addition of a 1.75" track, wider skis and a float plate you would have a nice sled that could do everything. I would PM vogelm1 on here as he has one and can give you more info about the sled. Riding a few different sleds would be helpful to see what you would like

Hey Thrall......How in the world to you ride those M's???? I rode a buddies M1000 for about 2 miles on the packed and rough powerlines yesterday and almost fell off twice. When we switched back we both asked at the same time "how do you ride that"? I would love to try the 2010 seat

Speaking of getting a new sled...... the new Pro RMK 800 looks pretty interesting for next year
Attached Images

20 Mastercrafts and counting

Last edited by Datdude; 02-18-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
MC Devotee

Had a great day in the U.P. yesterday with temps in the mid 30's and SUN!!!!!

This tree was apparently too big for me to run over.........
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Cub View Post
It's funny I had a much different experience on the mxz this weekend, the one I rented had a short track so I felt that it I was bouncing everywhere. My back killed me after the day, however we road 380 miles in one day.
I had exactly the opposite experience. Had shorty Rev rentals on some of the worst (bumpy) trails out there and thought they were absoulutely the Shizzz! And these sleds had not setup, just off the shelf 500SS's.
380mi in a day might have had something to do with it. Go try 380mi on a RX1 shorty and get back to us! You might not be able to walk for a week.
PS: 380mi in one day?????????? I'm lucky to get that in a season! And I get about 50mi per tank of gas!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude View Post
Had a great day in the U.P. yesterday with temps in the mid 30's and SUN!!!!!

This tree was apparently too big for me to run over.........
Wow, those XP's are really light! My tank would have mowed that one over!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude View Post

Hey Thrall......How in the world to you ride those M's???? I rode a buddies M1000 for about 2 miles on the packed and rough powerlines yesterday and almost fell off twice. When we switched back we both asked at the same time "how do you ride that"? I would love to try the 2010 seat

Speaking of getting a new sled...... the new Pro RMK 800 looks pretty interesting for next year
Yeah they're totally different sleds for sure. My 1000 sucks on the trails, can't keep the skis down, tippy, etc, but I have it set up that way. Narrow stance, front limiter off, rear Float soft, ski shocks soft, etc. When I first got the M7 for my wife she was not powder savvy at all, so I dialed it up like a trail sled...wide stance, lots of ski pressure, etc and it did pretty well for a 153. Now that hers is set up for pow, it's about the same as mine except for pulling the skis every time you crack the throttle. You have to lean/hang off the sled in the corners like you're on an old John Deere! But in the deep stuff all you have to do is look in the direction you want to go and blow a fart in teh other direction and it'll roll right over and take you there.
Rev's are way better all around handling, trail and powder combined, but IMO they take more effort to carve and sidehill. No problem 'cause I'm kinda fat, but I don't think my wife could hold a Summit up on one ski or whip a donut in the powder like on a M. It takes me a bit to get used to the Doo in powder, like I want a field or 2 to figure it out again before I go poke it up thru some trees.
The '10 Cat seat and a bar riser with some fwd angle to it, makes them better for sure. Gets the rider more fwd on the chassis, but it's mostly in the susp setup, like any sled.

I've always liked the Poos, but that Rush bodied RMK is realllly hot looking!
Is that just an IQ with new plastic or any chassis changes?

BTW, Grand Mesa got almost 5' this weekend! Snow's deep everywhere now! Southern CO is buried again. Flattops are a stuck fest according to a guy who rode Sun. Hopefully I can get a ride on Fri or Sun. It's killing me! Right now a 174 track wouldn't be too much in most spots!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
MC Devotee

The M1000 has a 3" riser on it and the standing position is very comfortable, but it seemed twitchy and almost tossed me twice in a few minutes. I could see where it would be easy to lay on its side and carve compared to my sled. I have the Hillclimb which has the wide front end like a trail sled. Once i get into deep enough snow I can lay it down pretty good, but in 12-18" of powder like we normally have, it is not so compliant. My 2008 XP 600RS race sled would lay down a lot easier than this so I am guess it is the wide front AND long track that are fighting me in the "thin" snow.

My buddy with the M1000 has had some durability issues. His first issue came in Alpine, Wyoming when he hit a tree and tore the right A-arms off and destroyed the gas tank with his knee on the way off the sled. He was lucky enough to find a parts sled and got everything he needed for $140! He also bent the handlebar when he was trying to get the sled out of a hole. This last weekend he was trail riding in Munising, MI with his girlfriend and managed to snap the left bar (previously damaged in WY) off between the brake lever and riser clamp. A few hours later he was crossing railroad tracks on the trail at 5mph and managed to break the right A-arm, bent the shock and destroyed the right spindle. He did say that they managed to ride 90 miles with only one hand which is pretty impressive! I will say that he seems to be hard on equipment since he had already totaled a Nytro MTX when he met a tree on a hill climb in the U.P. earlier this Winter

I think the new Pro RMK and Rush have a totally new chassis. I never cared for the current RMK look, but the new one looks nice. I also noticed they got it down to 431lbs which is XP territory for weight. I am sure it is going to be a ripper if Poo gets the 800 issues resolved. I have resigned myself to the fact that a mountain trip is not in the cards this year with a new baby and new house, but we have started talking about a trip for next season. Any suggestion on where to go would be greatly appreciated. My one riding buddy has a 2007 Renegade X 800 with my old Pilot 6.9 skis and a 136x16x1.75 (144" foot print) track is interested in taking that out there. Do you think it would work out there??

Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM
MC Maniac

The 'Gade would work fine. Obviously it would struggle more on an epic day compared to a big track, but I rode with a guy that had a 136x2 RMK all over CO and WY and while my 151 RMK would break trail better, he could go most anywhere, just stayed on the flipper harder and smarter! It's all about the conditions. Today, for instance a 163 is still going to get stuck. Couple weeks ago, had a couple feet of fresh on a decent base and the 150 somethings could go anywhere without geting stuck. If he can ride, a 16 wide 136 will do ok.
I've had the exact opposite experience with M sleds. I think they're one of the most durable.
I'm not going to jinx myself bragging about everything I've hit that didn't break the sled, but for comparison's sake, I'd go thru 1 or 2 trailing arms and various front end parts on the RMK annually. 4th year on the M7 and 2nd on the M1000 and no major carnage even after hitting stuff that I'm sure would have bent the RMK.
I tagged the uphill side of a cat track last year in the M1, punched thru to bare ground. Stopped hard enough to toss me clear of the sled by 10-15'. L ski was straight up and down. Hit hard enough to bend a brace behind the clutch. Front susp was unscathed.
I think your buddy is extra hard on sleds.
My reccomendation for out here, provided you're bringing all your own machines, would be to wait until a few weeks prior to going to make accomodation reservations and scout where the best snow is.
My favorite riding areas, somewhat in order are Grand Mesa, CO (couple nice places to ride from the front door or ride in/ride out. Thunder Mtn Lodge and Electric mtn lodge). Cumbres Pass near Chama, NM (lodging in Chama. Northern NM/Southern CO have had some of the best snow in the west more years than not.) The Flattops, Eagle county, right across the highway from my house. Great snow, mostly local riders, have to stay in Eagle, Glenwood Springs, Rifle, etc.
All of these areas are huge, hundreds of sq miles. Tons of open meadows and rollers, enough tree pickin to keep you happy and not too many avy danger areas (but enough big hills to scare yourself on if you like hill climbing!). Best is no tourists. They all go to the Snowy range, WY! (Which is great too, just have to look harder for untouched snow.) These places, you get a couple miles from the truck, even if the parking lot is packed and you got untouched snow and you see very few people all day.
After that there's tons of other "locals" areas, maybe more technical, harder to get to, but very nice.
Another great spot is Continental Divide, WY between Dubois and Yellowstone...Togwotee. Very popular, but just as impressive. Endless riding.