Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
CBS 2 Chicago is airing a story called "The Culture of Snowmobiling" tonight at 10pm in response to the death of one of the news anchors who lost his life in a snowmobile accident.

What did they say about sledding? I am guessing they said most sledders use their machines to go from bar to bar?

I wish more sledders would be responsible while riding and avoid alcohol. Our riding group made that decision when we started riding and is very frustrating to stop for lunch and see people pounding Jack and Cokes, then take off on their sleds. That is part of the reason I enjoy riding off-trail in the U.P.. You can let your guard down and not have to worry about someone taking a corner at 60mph on your side of the trail. If drunken sledders want to kill themselves, go ahead and we will call it natural selection. When innocent people are involved it is very upsetting.

20 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I used to belong to the local snowmobile club. Their two big events were two poker runs per winter (have you ever seen a poker run on snowmobiles that didn't go from bar to bar?) and a radar run where they sold beer and the big prize was the "party cart"...basically a wheelbarrow filled with a huge variety and amount of donated booze. Weekend rides were stereotypical - by the last bar there were people who couldn't even walk, let alone drive a snowmobile. It was disgusting, and I refused to have anything to do with them as of about 10 years ago.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
I do mostly backcountry steep and deep sledding. There is absolutely no room for mistakes or alcohol. I have never combined the two and will not ride with guys that do. After snowmobiling and no driving in the future is when the alcohol is enjoyed.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie's
After snowmobiling and no driving in the future is when the alcohol is enjoyed.
Nothing better than a good day of riding followed by a cold beer or two with nothing to worry about.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie's
I do mostly backcountry steep and deep sledding. There is absolutely no room for mistakes or alcohol. I have never combined the two and will not ride with guys that do. After snowmobiling and no driving in the future is when the alcohol is enjoyed.
Our group rides hard all day and then when the sleds are on the trailer for the night we crack some beers...never have mixed drinking and riding.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
My wife and I just got back into sledding (with a lot of great advice from you all) and I have to consider our adventures so far to be fortunate because we have not seen any of this. I dread the day that someone comes around a corner on a trail on our side.
It seems like there have been many deaths ths year, I just wonder if/when people will get the message. We enjoy sitting in the bar at the end of the day as well, but I could not imagine riding under the influence, and we are not riding nearly as hard as most people.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Sledding seems to be going the route of boating. Rules will be made to take some of the fun out because of irresponsible owners and operators. It is a shame when we cannot enjoy our favorite hobbies without having to look out for irresponsible drunk people. I don't sled because of location (SE), just reading what all of you have written.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski
My wife and I just got back into sledding (with a lot of great advice from you all) and I have to consider our adventures so far to be fortunate because we have not seen any of this. I dread the day that someone comes around a corner on a trail on our side.
It seems like there have been many deaths ths year, I just wonder if/when people will get the message. We enjoy sitting in the bar at the end of the day as well, but I could not imagine riding under the influence, and we are not riding nearly as hard as most people.

Deaths are on the rise, because alot of the midwest has seen good snow this year. I've ridden 3 times in IL, and we are under another winter storm warning today for 12+ inches. Many riders don't take trips up North, but do ride locally in N. IL and S. Wi when there is snow. The amount of riders this year is simply much higher, thus higher death tolls.

This is one of the best winters to date for snow that we have had in a long time.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 Sanger DXII L96
Dat and ERK- you guys gonna be around for Cruiser Fest this weekend?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckguy
Dat and ERK- you guys gonna be around for Cruiser Fest this weekend?
I will be around, but I have some non-sledding friends coming to visit so I will not be able to ride. I am thinking the turn out will be pretty low this year since the snow down south will be so good