Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I have a new XP 800 Renegade with about 400 miles on it. So far, not a single problem and haven't blown a belt. KNOCK ON WOOD!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:13 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Dreams
Thanks, I posted a request for info on the Snowest forum. Hopefully, someone with an unbiased opinion will chime in over there.
Heh...Good luck with that - there are darned few unbiased opinions on snowmobiles, especially on the internet. People spend that much money on a toy, they tend to get their ego all wrapped up in their choice. You end up getting a lot of one-off anecdotes that prove nothing ("I ride with a guy that owns a..(brand X)..and his machine broke its blah blah blah").

In deciding between SkiDoo and Yamaha this year, I spent a LOT of time looking at brand-specific forums and tried to get a sense of what the general run of complaints were, and balance them against the general run of reported good points. My dealer sells both brands and I trust his opinions, and I also talked to his service manager. So far so good, but if it turns out later that I made a mistake, I'll just sell/buy. I don't think I've ever kept a sled more than 3000 miles anyway.

Last edited by bigmac; 02-03-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Heh...Good luck with that - there are darned few unbiased opinions on snowmobiles, especially on the internet. People spend that much money on a toy, they tend to get their ego all wrapped up in their choice. You end up getting a lot of one-off anecdotes that prove nothing ("I ride with a guy that owns a..(brand X)..and his machine broke its blah blah blah").

In deciding between SkiDoo and Yamaha this year, I spent a LOT of time looking at brand-specific forums and tried to get a sense of what the general run of complaints were, and balance them against the general run of reported good points. My dealer sells both brands and I trust his opinions, and I also talked to his service manager. So far so good, but if it turns out later that I made a mistake, I'll just sell/buy. I don't think I've ever kept a sled more than 3000 miles anyway.

I agree, can I have the one on the left?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Since 2003 I've ridden all brands except Yamaha. Only reason for that is the weight of the sled, and I don't want to deal with digging out that heavy of a sled. I realize I am not the best rider out there, and thus will get stuck often and deep! No need to have extra weight on a sled.

Is anyone considering the E-TEC sled for next year? I am thinking about spring ordering a 600 E-TEC Renegade X for 2009.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210
I agree, can I have the one on the left?
Sure. I'll bet you're dealer would sell you one, and I'll bet you'd get a good price. My limited seat time on the Renegade indicates that it's a great sled.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
Since 2003 I've ridden all brands except Yamaha. Only reason for that is the weight of the sled, and I don't want to deal with digging out that heavy of a sled. I realize I am not the best rider out there, and thus will get stuck often and deep! No need to have extra weight on a sled.
The Apex is indeed a heavy sled by comparison, although you don't feel it on the trail and its power/torque makes up for a lot. I only got it stuck twice out west - the Powderhounds did a good job of keeping it up, but that Ripsaw track and its steeper-than-optimal skid approach angle does cause it to tend to trench. Getting it unstuck wasn't a problem, but the more people the merrier and Snowbunje's are a great tool for that kind of riding with that kind of sled.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Where do you order the snowbunje's from?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:54 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
Where do you order the snowbunje's from?
When I first saw them a few years ago, I thought they were a dumb idea. They aren't, they are amazing. My son and I have both a Cobra and Rattler as well as a couple of the 20 ft slick tapes. In our group, out west in deep snow, those things have saved us a ton of work. This year, no one even had to get their shovels out, but we used the snobunjes about a dozen times.

Most places sell them Dennis Kirk or you can buy them directly from Snobunje.

Last edited by bigmac; 02-03-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
I second the snobunje. I have two and we rarely use the shovels anymore. Get two guys on the front with two of them and the sled almost pops right out of a trench. However with the current deep snow conditions my brothers Nytro requires shovels when trenched. The doo and my polaris usually can get out with just the bunje. Everyone I ride with carries one almost like a beacon.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
MC Master Poster

CBS 2 Chicago is airing a story called "The Culture of Snowmobiling" tonight at 10pm in response to the death of one of the news anchors who lost his life in a snowmobile accident.