Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-03-2005, 05:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
I've seen some guys advertise their kits as stock engine with 200+hp by just adding the kit. Little do they know just how many engines they had to change to be able to say thay.
The last race event I was at about two weeks ago, the turbo's RX1 came in FAR last place of a 4 sled race. F7, then a custom modified something I could not tell, then another F7, then the turbo'd Yami. It was open mod 800 class I believe.
Sounds like you are going to be even more p!ssed off at boosted Yamaha's this coming winter than you were last winter.
MPI's supercharger kit is totally sold out until Jan 2006 (5 psi=180 hp. on premium and 10 psi=220 hp on 50-50 94/110).
Then there's the turbo guys. The one's I'm familiair with (Powder Lites and Alpine.....and they are little guys compared to Bender, Simons CPR and MCX) are selling A LOT more kits than they did last year.
Sounds to me like all these guys putting down $5k for one of these kits don't share the same opinion about reliability as you do......and many of these guys are ride in places where a breakdown can mean getting the sled carried out by a helicopter.

Getting back to your post above though...... do you think sleds that are competitive in an open mod class have any similarity to a machine that can be ridden on a 300 mile ride.... which is what A LOT of guys that buy 10 psi and under kits are doing?

Last edited by JDK; 11-03-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I don't understand it, it is great to go fast, and it is greater to beat your buddies, but where do you draw the line? I have done 100+ on my sled and had it with the gps, and at that speed one mistake you are done. What is the need to do 140????
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
So, do you guys pull tubes behind your snowmobiles? If so, which is better - the Arctic Cats or the SkiDoos?
Ski Doos are better. Arctic Cats are unreliable seem to break down A LOT . We used to pull people on snow skis when I was a kid until my neighbor broke his leg on our lake . Tubes would be fun......might have to try that this winter.

19 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude
Ski Doos are better. Arctic Cats are unreliable seem to break down A LOT . We used to pull people on snow skis when I was a kid until my neighbor broke his leg on our lake . Tubes would be fun......might have to try that this winter.
I have had very good luck with my Arctic Cat, lets not turn this into a my sled is better than yours thread?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
What is the need to do 140????
There is no need. I would venture a guess that 80% of the turbo Yamaha kits are sold West of Saskatchewan/North Dakota for riding in mountains and snow that is bottomless.
Did you notice the post about trackspeed above. This determines whether you keep moving or get stuck.
Once you've driven a sled with more than 200hp. or 300 hp. at wide open, and you are only moving 40 or 50 mph you will be hooked.Currently, there is only on manufacturer that can offer this kind of power (the other guys aren't even in the game).

Last edited by JDK; 11-03-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
I sold the stock turbo of my Dodge Cummins (Holset HY-35) to a guy who put it on a snowmobile. He was buying up left and right from guys off the TDR for that purpose. Thats one big arse turbo for an engine that size. I can't believe it could spool something up like that!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK
Getting back to your post above though...... do you think sleds that are competitive in an open mod class have any similarity to a machine that can be ridden on a 300 mile ride.... which is what A LOT of guys that buy 10 psi and under kits are doing?
Some 200hp triple 2 stroke(not that its uncommon by any means) can be riden all day, and is sometimes as light as a stocker or most times even lighter.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude
Sorry to say, but ALL of them break down. My Cat has yet to, oh wait, that might be because I just bought it. And my yami, well its a 2 stroke 2 cyl, what can I say, maybe the one exception to my comment.....

Hopefully never, but the inevitable will happen. Especially riding them as you described before.
And as for ride quality. Most riders don't have any idea how to set up their suspensions for themselves. Rather ride as is, which from the most part, is not the best from the factory. And on top of that, alot of riders do not have their shocks rebuilt annually. In which significantly decreases ride quality.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
What is the need to do 140????
How about the guys running 160MPH in 1000'? Now that just ain't right...
But then again, there are the John Force's of the world running 1/4 mile doing 330MPH plus in a car.

You know there are some guys putting JET engines on snowmobiles, and about anything you can think of?

There will be that forever drive to be the fastest and quickest, as long as there are human beings on this planet. I for one, would love to drive ANYONE of these machines listed above. With the only fear that it would make me want to do it again, and again.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Eric, you got any free weekends in dec or jan to head up and meet with these guys?