Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
We all suffer from exaggeration when we report our sleds' top speeds. I can pretty much gauranteee that even a piped Yammie SX-R 700 has no hope of hitting 130 mph - I'll bet it will barely crack 100. I had a piped 2000 SX-R 700 and I own two different radar guns.
Like I said, I don't know jack about this subject. I'm just telling you guys what he told me and thought that I would mention it to see if anyone is interested.
If anyone is interested, PM me. The guy lives in the west burbs of Chicago.
I definitely don't belong in this thread...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:52 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo137
I definitely don't belong in this thread...

Quick, Stevo, back to the swimsuit thread where it's warmer!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2004 TT 197/LQ9/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
Dat,

I was looking through the snowtech last night. (New one) If I were in the market for a 440, it would be a tough call which of the 3 I would take. Although the Pol looks so stupid. I guess I could say no way to that one.
The specs on them are sweet. Perhaps I should consider picking one up next season for the throw around sled like you would do. I don't think they have any around here to view in person. They have got to feel pretty light now this year.

And you keep saying you don't have one right now. I thought you had an 800?
I really like the looks of the new Polaris 440(it has grown on me), but at the Sno-X races in Green Bay last year two different Polaris sleds started on fire(not sure why), and the right footwell is occupied by the chaincase which is weird. Since 2003 when the REV was released Ski Doo has dominated most Sno-X races because of the riding position. Polaris's IQ chassis has taken a little bit away from Ski Doo and in my opinion Cat is still a solid 3rd place out of 3 manufacturers. They are trying to make the new Cat SnoPro a rider forward sled, but it does not seem to be quite there yet. This year should be an interesting one in Sno-X. If any of you Illinois guys are looking for a good time, you should check out the season finale (middle of March) for the WSA Sno-X racing at Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva. They race up and down the ski hill and it is awesome. 2 years ago we went and it was 70 degrees and we got sunburned watching snowmobile races

I sold my Gade X 800 and delivered it a week ago. I have a new 2004 Rev X 440 but it is sitting at Nielsen's in Lake Villa. I am going to be picking it up on the 25th of November so I do have a sled...but I don't have a sled if that makes sense. The 440's are really a blast to ride. The Rev 440 feels like a dirt bike and is a blast in deep snow because of the 1.75" track and super light weight. My local Doo dealer has 5 2006 Rev 440's for a local racer(he rode for Polaris last year) and I picked the back up and had to make sure the skid was attached to the sled because it was so light. If you have never ridden a newer 440, don't do it unless you plan on buying one. In a race with a 440, my 800 got smoked off the line until about 50-60mph then I caught and passed it, but the holeshot is amazing-wheelie and all. The are a blast on the tight and twisty trails where it is on the gas..off the gas..on again, and not many sleds can hang with you. They also shine in the super rough stuff like the powerlines when it is all packed down and there are 3-4' moguls as far as you can see because of the stiff suspension and frame. There are a few drawbacks like premixing gas and oil(you can add oil injection), jetting changes(Tempaflow takes care of it for you), and pretty crappy mileage (80 miles per tank), but the fun outweighs the negatives in my opinion(and riding style). If we can hook up this Winter you can take it for a rip. It should be snowing here soon!! BRAAAAAP BRAAAAAP-Sorry for the long post

16 Mastercrafts and counting

Last edited by Datdude; 11-15-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
On the yami doing 130. I will be sure to monitor that closely this season. Myself having a 700 trip with a single pipe, I am tempted to trip. pipe it. HOWEVER, my wife does not need the trips. This is only her second season of riding. So mine may never see anything even close to those speeds. Sorry to say.

My friend that lives on a lake In Wisc has a full setup for 660', 1000', and 1/4 mile for time and speed. We did not take it out once last year. Not easy to set up for a quick one or two races.
This year, we will be at the ice drags in March. I am certain there will be some 150, 160 mph yamis again. However, they will be 4 stroked with turbos, nitrous, and/or superchargers. I would like to see some 2 stroke yami's compete and see what they can pull, but it not likely they are on the priority list with the ease of access to the new stuff.

One of the guys has his 1200cc 2 stoker ready and hopes to put 250hp on the dyno. And yes it will be a trail sled. NOT his drag sled.
He is working on the drag sled with 1400cc 2 stroke and hopes to put 350hp to the track (and maybe wants to turbo it for those that think it can't be done and be in the 400/500hp range) All polaris's.

I ask myself, is there ever too much. I guess that why I have to put a limit on what I do, I will never be able to compete to their level. And If I could, they would always step it up.
To each their own.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Dat,

I am not fond of the rider forward design you rave about. Perhaps I need to ride one to be convinced.
I am sure there will be some where we ride.
None of the guys or girls I ride with have the 440's. Except the 583 converted to 440, but that doesn't fit in this class.
I would like to take one for a blast. They do look like fun.
If I get on one, I'll let you know what I think. It would be nice to ride all three so I could see the differences.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 yellow X10, MCX
Just found this thread would love to hook up with you guys for a day or weekend of riding. I live north of Madison. My husband and I are always looking for some new riding friends.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2004 TT 197/LQ9/Powerslot
Quote:
Dat,

I am not fond of the rider forward design you rave about. Perhaps I need to ride one to be convinced.
None of the guys or girls I ride with have the 440's. Except the 583 converted to 440, but that doesn't fit in this class.
I would like to take one for a blast. They do look like fun.
If I get on one, I'll let you know what I think. It would be nice to ride all three so I could see the differences.
I was not sure about the rider forward position until I spent a fair amount of time on it and now I can't go back to a traditional sled. I put 1.7 miles on my 2002 MXZ 700 last year and it felt wrong so I sold it. I have a bad back and a 100 mile trip on my MXZ 700 (with good suspension) would kill me. I have done a few 250 mile days on my REV and get off the sled feeling like a champ. I have heard some people complain about knee pain on REVs but I have not experienced it(and my knees are not the best from hockey). I took a dealers REV out in 2003 and it felt weird, but you get used to it. I really like the fact that when you see a huge bump you can easily stand up to have your legs absorb the bump instead of your spine. Before I bought my REV I was riding with a group up in Houghton and the trail was bombed out with 3' bumps as far as you could see. I was following a REV and he was standing up and the sled was pivoting underneath him and was very jealous as I was getting pounded. You are more than welcome to try my sled and I am convinced you will like it. We got hosed on the snow and the heavier stuff missed us to the South and East a little bit. We ended up with about 3" of really wet snow
Attached Images

16 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf
Just found this thread would love to hook up with you guys for a day or weekend of riding. I live north of Madison. My husband and I are always looking for some new riding friends.
Welcome to the board jlf..... And glad you found us....
Just send us an invite to where you are riding, and if I don't already have plans, we could head up.
I would love to head up to Twin Lakes Wisc. when the lakes freeze over. Perhaps that would be a good meeting place for all of us when it ices over and snows.
Just an idea.
Anyone else wanna toss out a good meeting place we could meet at. Don't forget, a few of us are in Chicago, so don't figure a ride to far up for a day of riding.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude
I was not sure about the rider forward position until I spent a fair amount of time on it and now I can't go back to a traditional sled. I put 1.7 miles on my 2002 MXZ 700 last year and it felt wrong so I sold it. I have a bad back and a 100 mile trip on my MXZ 700 (with good suspension) would kill me. I have done a few 250 mile days on my REV and get off the sled feeling like a champ. I have heard some people complain about knee pain on REVs but I have not experienced it(and my knees are not the best from hockey). I took a dealers REV out in 2003 and it felt weird, but you get used to it. I really like the fact that when you see a huge bump you can easily stand up to have your legs absorb the bump instead of your spine. Before I bought my REV I was riding with a group up in Houghton and the trail was bombed out with 3' bumps as far as you could see. I was following a REV and he was standing up and the sled was pivoting underneath him and was very jealous as I was getting pounded. You are more than welcome to try my sled and I am convinced you will like it. We got hosed on the snow and the heavier stuff missed us to the South and East a little bit. We ended up with about 3" of really wet snow
We are suppose to get blasted today and tonight. May end up heading out for a quick blast if it flies as good as they say it will. Its about 25degrees here now. And flurries, looking for some downfall!!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Dat,

Last year, we rented REV's in WI for a trip (way too far to haul the machines from Phoenix for XMas holidays). The trails were sh!t the whole time, and those ski doos were unreal in how they handled the bumps. In three days of riding I think the rear end only came up and slapped me in the a$$ 1 or 2 times. I thought the riding position was very natural and actually felt kinda awkward riding some of the other sleds in the group. If I was looking for a trail burner, I'd have to go w/ a Rev chassis. Powder riding I don't see much of an advantage, except for the ride in and ride out although I've never ridden a new Summit. One of my buds out here just bought the RT1000, 151 only. Can't wait to see thaat thing rip!