Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 06:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Old Ski Decoration Ideas

I would like to do something to the first pair of skis that I have ever skied on. My ski story is not the great memories and laughs that most on here remember.

My grandpa had (still has) a 1975 invader tri hull boat that I learned to ski behind that he bought brand new. He has never skied, but thought a boat would be a way to have fun family time together, so he bought a boat. My father tried teaching me how to ski for a few years using the you just don't GD listen and quit the crying you big baby and just figure it out you little girl method of teaching me to ski. I was first taught with trainer skis tied together and tied to the back of the boat, without a trick release or another adult holding a handle inside the boat (let's say that method never worked). The learning process was miserable but required. Eventually after begging for a few years to use adult skis (I was in 1st grade so probably 6 yrs old now) my dad finally gave in (after my grandpa said will you just let him try his way and let him have fun), so he let me try adult skis saying you're just gunna prove to me what I've been trying to tell you for years, the skis are too big, you're not strong enough, and a bunch more teardown before allowing me to attempt. Anyway I got up on the first try. It was amazing how much easier it was not getting drowned from having me feet tied to the back of the boat. I skied forever and eventually fell in love with the sport.

My grandpa (moms dad) started taking me skiing every week. I loved skiing. Around high school, I was trying the course and running it. Eventually, this guy who was my barber asked me to go skiing. I went and instantly was addicted to course skiing. He said I was good, so I kept practicing. College came and my parents divorced, and I fell to skiing to keep my head straight. Since then I've skied at many regionals and national tournaments and have a pb of 3 buoys at -39.5 off. My family has not one time watched me ski a practice in a course or tournament ever in my life. All they know is that I enjoy skiing. I haven't seen or spoken to my father in years and frankly I am at peace never talking to him again. My mom on the other hand is close to me and I see her and my sisters pretty regularly. Currently my grandpa is now very sick and I am caring for him with mom and some other immediate family. There are hard times and times that really make you reflect on the past that I'm going though right now.

Anyway the other day when I was digging in his garage I found the skis that my grandpa used to pull me around on for hours when I was a kid. I know they have no meaning to him but they mean a lot to me. The bindings are torn up and the skis have a terrible paint job on them that needs to be sanded off and resurfaced.

I would like to do something with these skis for keepsake purposes. If it wasn't for my grandpa taking me out skiing, I would never be in the sport. I have every ski that I have ever skied on besides this pair of combo skis that I learned on. I know without even asking that I can have them, so that is not a problem. I can take them any time and he would not care, so there is no big deal on acquiring them. No one in my family skis besides me.

So what does someone make with them? I have a friend who has made a ski height chart for his kids. Every few months he measures his kids and marks it on the ski, eventually the kids will have something cool to pass down to their kids. I do not have kids or wife or gf, so making something like that doesn't really support my cause. I'll prolly never have children.

So what other things could I make with these skis, a ski shot rack, a rope shelf, etc.

I don't mind making something that will destroy the ski either. I have even considered after finding these skis around thanksgiving and having tons of time in a hospital to let my mind wander, even sanding them down and having them hydrocoated or something done to make them cool and just add to my collection.

I just don't know what would be cool. I want to continue a memory, add to my collection and have something cool. I'm not looking to build anything out of them tomorrow as I just don't have the time, because my Gpa takes all of my time, but in the future. If it wasn't for him or those skis, I'm sure I would have taken the path in life that involves drugs and time behind bars.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I would like to do something to the first pair of skis that I have ever skied on. My ski story is not the great memories and laughs that most on here remember.

My grandpa had (still has) a 1975 invader tri hull boat that I learned to ski behind that he bought brand new. He has never skied, but thought a boat would be a way to have fun family time together, so he bought a boat. My father tried teaching me how to ski for a few years using the you just don't GD listen and quit the crying you big baby and just figure it out you little girl method of teaching me to ski. I was first taught with trainer skis tied together and tied to the back of the boat, without a trick release or another adult holding a handle inside the boat (let's say that method never worked). The learning process was miserable but required. Eventually after begging for a few years to use adult skis (I was in 1st grade so probably 6 yrs old now) my dad finally gave in (after my grandpa said will you just let him try his way and let him have fun), so he let me try adult skis saying you're just gunna prove to me what I've been trying to tell you for years, the skis are too big, you're not strong enough, and a bunch more teardown before allowing me to attempt. Anyway I got up on the first try. It was amazing how much easier it was not getting drowned from having me feet tied to the back of the boat. I skied forever and eventually fell in love with the sport.

My grandpa (moms dad) started taking me skiing every week. I loved skiing. Around high school, I was trying the course and running it. Eventually, this guy who was my barber asked me to go skiing. I went and instantly was addicted to course skiing. He said I was good, so I kept practicing. College came and my parents divorced, and I fell to skiing to keep my head straight. Since then I've skied at many regionals and national tournaments and have a pb of 3 buoys at -39.5 off. My family has not one time watched me ski a practice in a course or tournament ever in my life. All they know is that I enjoy skiing. I haven't seen or spoken to my father in years and frankly I am at peace never talking to him again. My mom on the other hand is close to me and I see her and my sisters pretty regularly. Currently my grandpa is now very sick and I am caring for him with mom and some other immediate family. There are hard times and times that really make you reflect on the past that I'm going though right now.

Anyway the other day when I was digging in his garage I found the skis that my grandpa used to pull me around on for hours when I was a kid. I know they have no meaning to him but they mean a lot to me. The bindings are torn up and the skis have a terrible paint job on them that needs to be sanded off and resurfaced.

I would like to do something with these skis for keepsake purposes. If it wasn't for my grandpa taking me out skiing, I would never be in the sport. I have every ski that I have ever skied on besides this pair of combo skis that I learned on. I know without even asking that I can have them, so that is not a problem. I can take them any time and he would not care, so there is no big deal on acquiring them. No one in my family skis besides me.

So what does someone make with them? I have a friend who has made a ski height chart for his kids. Every few months he measures his kids and marks it on the ski, eventually the kids will have something cool to pass down to their kids. I do not have kids or wife or gf, so making something like that doesn't really support my cause. I'll prolly never have children.

So what other things could I make with these skis, a ski shot rack, a rope shelf, etc.

I don't mind making something that will destroy the ski either. I have even considered after finding these skis around thanksgiving and having tons of time in a hospital to let my mind wander, even sanding them down and having them hydrocoated or something done to make them cool and just add to my collection.

I just don't know what would be cool. I want to continue a memory, add to my collection and have something cool. I'm not looking to build anything out of them tomorrow as I just don't have the time, because my Gpa takes all of my time, but in the future. If it wasn't for him or those skis, I'm sure I would have taken the path in life that involves drugs and time behind bars.

Thanks

Ha! my first boat too! POS! 85 Hp Chrysler. Wouldn't pull up a slalom!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Why not something simple like refinishing them ( or not if you like the patina) and hanging them on a wall like in your office, garage, man cave etc?

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Ha! my first boat too! POS! 85 Hp Chrysler. Wouldn't pull up a slalom!
At least my grandpa bought the Johnson 115 lol

I would be afraid of tearing the transom off of his boat, if I had to ski behind it today. It was grab a bunch of slack and let the boat get a running start to get up on a slalom back when I was 130#, so pushing 200# probably isn't a good idea for that old boat. Lol

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Nice story Kyle and prayers are with your Grandpa. Cant think of anything on the ski's yet, but if I do I will let you know.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-29-2013, 06:13 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Why not something simple like refinishing them ( or not if you like the patina) and hanging them on a wall like in your office, garage, man cave etc?
Love the idea, but they were yellow pos cut n jump skis. Now the bottoms are blue and the tops are primer. The project never was completed. Basically they have a 7yr old kids blue terrible paint skills and look awful.

There is no patina. I only have blank skis

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Love the idea, but they were yellow pos cut n jump skis. Now the bottoms are blue and the tops are primer. The project never was completed. Basically they have a 7yr old kids blue terrible paint skills and look awful.

There is no patina. I only have blank skis
Got a Bic lighter? Sure ya do! You smoke.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Got a Bic lighter? Sure ya do! You smoke.
Lmao yeah yeah I smoke and have tons of lighters, but I really would like to keep the skis vs burn them.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
+1 for a simple refurb.

Or you could add a tower on them or add an aftermarket fat sack on each ski, or put a wrap on them to make them look even more hideous....or maybe tandem axles.....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Use some paint stripper to take them down to bare wood and see what you have. If the wood is decent, you could put a clear finish on and cut some vinyl for the old logo.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com