Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-19-2016, 12:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Title question

Posting here because you all are smart and might know something on the topic.

I bought a motorcycle in the summer of 2014 from someone in OH. I was given a clean title and notarized bill of sale at the time. I licensed and titled the motorcycle in MO within 30 days of purchasing it. I got (and still have) a clean title from that State of Missouri. I have licensed the motorcycle ever since, and just renewed the plates in April of 2016.

I was contacted by a recovery service this week stating that the seller from OH had a lien on the bike and should not have been able to get me a clean title. The recovery officer (not a law enforcement agent - just someone with the recovery company), said that I am not in danger of losing the bike. They are just building a case to go after the seller for funds. Apparently the guy who sold me the bike has not made a payment in 180 days, but I have owned the bike for close to 2 years. So, it appears they continued to make payments for over a year even though they did not own the bike.

Any one out there know what my exposure is?

To make this matter more complicated, I sold the bike the DAY BEFORE I was contacted by the recovery company. I have a check and am waiting for that check to clear before signing over the title to the new buyer. The buyer is a chapter officer of a local B.A.C.A. (Biker's Against Child Abuse) group. I do NOT want to get sideways with him or the organization.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Don't give them ANY of your personal information. This is 100% between them and the seller. Are you sure it's not a scam?

I think your best option would be to inform the new buyer of what just happen and allow him to decide what he wants to do. Do not keep him in the dark.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Agreed. Just inform the buyer and be sure they're good with the potential problems he may encounter. I'd guess the guy will probably say something along the lines of "screw them" and still buy the bike, especially if you've made any kind of good deal with him.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Don't give them ANY of your personal information. This is 100% between them and the seller. Are you sure it's not a scam?

I think your best option would be to inform the new buyer of what just happen and allow him to decide what he wants to do. Do not keep him in the dark.
Recover agent had all sorts of information on the original seller (address, name, his girl friends name and that the title was in her name), VIN number, original color of bike (it had a custom paint that changed that color), my SS#, date I titled it, my plate number, previous owner plate number and a lot more).

If it is a scam on me, they have done a lot of research.

Recovery agent wants me to send text conversation I had with seller where we negotiated price (I still have it).

I warned the buyer - told him I would make it right with him. He is OK with preceding with our sale.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscrib View Post
Recover agent had all sorts of information on the original seller (address, name, his girl friends name and that the title was in her name), VIN number, original color of bike (it had a custom paint that changed that color), my SS#, date I titled it, my plate number, previous owner plate number and a lot more).

If it is a scam on me, they have done a lot of research.

Recovery agent wants me to send text conversation I had with seller where we negotiated price (I still have it).

I warned the buyer - told him I would make it right with him. He is OK with preceding with our sale.
I find it wrong that a financial institution would provide your SSN to anyone. It seems that information wouldn't be needed by anyone on side of the guy that committed the fraud. Again, I would not provide any personal information to them.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

MY SSN was a partial (last four are blocked out). They had the license tag # of the original owner (I bought it from the second owner). I am not giving personal info - but if the guy I bought it from is acting like Seth, I want to do my part to help get him arrested. I don't see harm in sharing the text convo - but on the other hand, if they come back and say that I received a fraudulent title and come after the bike, I don't want to help them.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-25 2014
Wow this is crazy. Shame on the original owner's lending bank for allowing the title to go to directly to the customer. Had the title gone to the bank, they could have kept it as collateral until the note was paid in full. I have no legal background, but I would think your exposure on this is "0" because you were given a clean title at the purchase.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I don't know the legality or your exposure, but if it was me I'd tell the recovery guy to stop bothering you with HIS problem if he calls you again.
First who has texts from 2 years ago? And if you do, they're your property. This guy can already have a recorded convo of you tlking to him where I'm sure you to,d him how/when you bought it and that you didn't know it had a lein on it.
Sounds like a fishing expedition to me. Debt collectors will try anything to get their money.
I have a family member that has many overdue creditors.....to put it mildly. I get calls randomly from debt collectors. My extended family, in laws, opposite side of the country, different last names have been contacted regarding this persons debt, asking to deliver paperwork to them on "the debtors" behalf, asking for information.
It's not a scam, but don't get sucked into this. Tell them to F O and don't call you back!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-20-2016, 04:16 AM
MC Devotee

If you have a clean original issued title you have no exposure. This is there problem. Sell it, do whatever you want to, its your bike.

If you want to help that's fine, but basically they have an unsecured loan from a deadbeat and they're just trying to get anything they can for a judgement. I would make them pay for the text message. The bank doesn't loan money for free it's about time to recover some of the so called processing fees they seem to charge. I'd do it for 1% of the value.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I suggest you contact a lawyer in your state.

I hate lawyers, but this seems complicated. Then refer any party to the lawyer and don't respond to recovery agent.