Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Skier 1986, 351 Windsor 1:1 Velvet Drive
Lightbulb Rough Rudder

I have a 86 Skier and the rudder has a very aged patina and some deep pits and pockets, looks like most of the larger pits/pockets may be voids from the original casting? Just wondering how the roughness of the surface affects the drag and force on the steering wheel when powering into a turn. Has anyone done any resto work where the pits were filled and the surface polished? Did this help reduce the force on the steering wheel when turning or is this just the nature of the beast? IF so, details and pics would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I did refill the grease on the rudder this winter, we will see if this helps any this summer. There is a little wiggle in the rudder as I suspect it has a little wear from the 900 hours of use.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 skier / prostar , Prostar190 , 1994 sold
I do not think the rudder on my 1986 is pitted ( I will take a closer look at it ) but it does have more play in it than I like ( 675 hours ) . My steering seems to have a few hard spots - kinda jerky sometimes but if you steer with a firm hand ..you power thur the hard spots . My steering wheel turns easy ...not hard at all .
Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin' in the 80s View Post
I have a 86 Skier and the rudder has a very aged patina and some deep pits and pockets, looks like most of the larger pits/pockets may be voids from the original casting? Just wondering how the roughness of the surface affects the drag and force on the steering wheel when powering into a turn. Has anyone done any resto work where the pits were filled and the surface polished? Did this help reduce the force on the steering wheel when turning or is this just the nature of the beast? IF so, details and pics would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I did refill the grease on the rudder this winter, we will see if this helps any this summer. There is a little wiggle in the rudder as I suspect it has a little wear from the 900 hours of use.
You might want to post up a picture or two. The castings were far from flawless when new, but you might have cavitation damage.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
TT Newbie

Question Some Pics

I took a couple of pics of both sides.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 205, 2001, 350
Your in MI so salt could be out of the question, but I have not seen a rudder like that... the prop looks okay, the rudder box looks green and odd as well... someone will chime in though.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Is the boat stored in the water in a marina? I have seen something like this before. It came from a boat losing stray voltage (120) from a boat close by without proper ground through the wire to the electrical box. Marinas suggest zincs on the shaft and rudders to prevent this.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
TT Newbie

Reply-More info

I just purchased the boat a year ago. It was from a marina, they had it stored in their warehouse for a season, they were sketchy on info about prior owner(s) and situation. Overall the boat is in great shape and does not have the typical signs of abuse you find on these older boats. The rudder looked like this when I got it. I have always stored it on the trailer in a garage or on a lift in the lake. I run it on a small inland lake.

My main thought was that since I have the boat at home in my heated shop to redo the interior, I would clean up as many maintenance items as possible because next season I will store it at the cottage so I can use my shop for other projects. I was wondering if I took the time to smooth and polish the rudder if that would help it steer smoother or am I wasting my time, or worse, causing more damage? All opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
I highly doubt that you would gain any performance if you cleaned and polished it up, but it would look better sitting on the lift.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 205, 2001, 350
What do you mean steer smoother? That rudder should give you the best steering there is... Check the steering cable, you can search too, as there are some who pull the zirk after greasing to let out the extra grease for easier steering, and clean or if old just put in a new steering cable...
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
What do you mean steer smoother? That rudder should give you the best steering there is... Check the steering cable, you can search too, as there are some who pull the zirk after greasing to let out the extra grease for easier steering, and clean or if old just put in a new steering cable...
The zirk at the rudder is not supposed to have a spring and check ball. It is a grease point designed not to hold grease in and affect steering.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com