Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02 prostar 197
help with gel coat gash and scratch

I have been lurking and studing on TT since I bought my first MC last year in August. I ran into a little snag the last time I took my boat out. The previous owner had replace one of the trailer bolts woth a regular hex bolt. So needless to say the bolt loosened up and the head made its way through the carpet unknown to me, until I went to load my boat on the trailer and ofcourse I found out the hard way. When I got it out of the water I had a nice long gash on the hull. As I investigated I notice the previous owner had covered some previous scratches with white caulk. I now have gotten all of the caulk off and am ready to fix the scratches. Some of them are deep and long. I was planning on useing Spectrum for the fix. I have not contacted them yet becasue I want to make sure I am using the correct product. I am planning on picking up an electric polisher this week and want to get started soon. I have read may posts along these lines and apologize for asking the same old questions but if yall could point me in the right direction I would certinally appreciate it. I need a supplie list and detailed instruction. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Contact MC to get the correct color code, but make sure you have your HIN handy. Spectrum is sold through iboats.com. I have a really good article that lists all the supplies and even the steps to go through. I will see if I can round it up and post it.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Contact MC to get the correct color code, but make sure you have your HIN handy. Spectrum is sold through iboats.com. I have a really good article that lists all the supplies and even the steps to go through. I will see if I can round it up and post it.
i would like this information to if you find that post i have the exact same problem
Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 BF200 yamaha Pro V 200
im going to be doing the same over winter Im watching tyhis thread like a hawk
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Check out this website. Very good videos and info. The videos aren't in order, so click through them all to find out what you need and watch them in order.

http://boatworkstoday.com/video-page

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Excellent site. Just bookmarked that one for later!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Here are some more good sites with gelcoat repair info:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/TechnicalInfo.aspx
http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/re-gelcoating.htm
http://www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
This is the one I was thinking about. It appears to be more about the buffing and waxing process, but nevertheless, it is still a good one to read and the same steps will apply after you get the gash filled in.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...d.php?t=105832

I will say that from my experience, I have notice small little air bubbles in the patch and if I had had just a little bit of gelcoat to go with it, then I could fix those spots easily. At this point I am not as concerned with it as the patch looks better that a gash. For yours, it is under the boat anyway, so not as imperative as mine which is on the deck.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02 prostar 197
Thanks for the info it sure pointed me in the right direction. Does anyone have any before and after pics of the work they have done. I wanted to compare damage and see how bad mine is.