Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Strange.. on the Tapatalk issue..

my settings are 30 minutes or manual refresh - you can turn of push notifications.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2014, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I have cheap process color vinyl numbers I printed and applied 4 years ago - they still look good.

I would not paint - the vinyls will last. the boat graphics are 18 years old and still not peeling or cracking... but I am replacing later this year with metallic vinyl.

Some edge sealer from a pen sealer will go a long way. 3M also makes a primer to promote adhesion. You can easily get a decade out the vinyls. Process color is tough - but eco-solvent printers can multi-strike print to provide a rich deep color.

Exact color match is impossible - many vinyl and sign guys are clueless when it comes to color match. A roll of premium colored vinyl cost around $50ish dollars for a 15"x10 yard roll.

Process printing should run no more than $30 for laminated customer registration numbers.

I am a total amateur on this. In creating a sample for an out of town vendor without access to my boat, I played around with RGB values on a free color website and printed on photo paper on my Epson Stylus Photo R800 a sample that closely matches the Oyster on my boat. It matches closer than any off the shelf vinyl color I've seen from Avery or 3M or others and closer than any swatch of color printed on white vinyl I got from the out of town vendor who worked from my sample.

It's frustrating I haven't found a professional who can produce vinyl letters that match as closely as a sample on photo paper I put together without much technical knowledge using a free website.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
I am a total amateur on this. In creating a sample for an out of town vendor without access to my boat, I played around with RGB values on a free color website and printed on photo paper on my Epson Stylus Photo R800 a sample that closely matches the Oyster on my boat. It matches closer than any off the shelf vinyl color I've seen from Avery or 3M or others and closer than any swatch of color printed on white vinyl I got from the out of town vendor who worked from my sample.

It's frustrating I haven't found a professional who can produce vinyl letters that match as closely as a sample on photo paper I put together without much technical knowledge using a free website.
Color management takes time. Unless the vinyl guy is G7 certified it will be crap shoot. Color management is an art form - and most vinyl and sign guys won't invest the time for a set of registration numbers. Hitting is tough when the white point and texture of vinyl is different from the swatch books - plus most shops don't have the right lighting to match color that won't shift when you go outside.

Big trade show for vinyl and signs in orlando starting April 23rd. If you want to walk the floor contact me and I will get you in for free.

A printer would need a densitometer and good knowledge of color reproduction to achieve what you want. At that point you might be looking at $200-$250 for a set of registration numbers.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Ok, so ever since I updated to the new iOS I get a tapia talk reminder each time I click on a link. It also logs me out each time I leave the site now. I want to use safari not tapia talk. Can someone correct these settings to only remind you once, not ever time you click a link?
That should do it. Colors will be near perfect. Glad you got that worked out....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Color management takes time. Unless the vinyl guy is G7 certified it will be crap shoot. Color management is an art form - and most vinyl and sign guys won't invest the time for a set of registration numbers. Hitting is tough when the white point and texture of vinyl is different from the swatch books - plus most shops don't have the right lighting to match color that won't shift when you go outside.

Big trade show for vinyl and signs in orlando starting April 23rd. If you want to walk the floor contact me and I will get you in for free.

A printer would need a densitometer and good knowledge of color reproduction to achieve what you want. At that point you might be looking at $200-$250 for a set of registration numbers.
What is the life expectancy of a quality lettering paint on gelcoat? I don't see any evidence of gelcoat damage in the area where the registation number goes on my 190. It looks pretty protected tucked back under the rub rail. I'm still wondering why paint is not a good idea if vinyl is so problematic matching an off-white given the limited stock colors and the limitations of process color. I've got quite a little collection of too yellow and too gray swatches produced with process color. Seems like it might work better to mix paint to match.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM

It's your boat... I personally don't like paint and other posters here have said the same... it's a real pain to remove if ever need be...
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

I ended up going with Avery Dennison 900 Supercast Opaque Film in the color Light Gray (SC 900-810-O, SC9010-O) in the Hemi Head 426 font.

Last edited by lake weir skier; 06-27-2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Typo