Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Vinyl for registration letters/numbers in Oyster color

Has anyone found an off-the shelf vinyl for registration letters/numbers that is a good match to the Oyster (off-white) on the 1994-1997 boats? If so, where did you get it and how did they identify the color? Have a vinyl manufacturer name and their identifying number and/or name for the color?

Iíve got a 94 ProStar 190 with a predominately Oyster hull with a Dark Teal major stripe and Hot Pink and Gray minor stripes. I just want to do solid color characters over the Dark Teal. I donít need doming or shadowing. I intend to have the letters/numbers done in the Hemi Head 426 font so many here consider a decent match to the proprietary Mastercraft font.

The best match to Oyster Iíve found so far is an Avery light gray (A9010-O) in their high performance vinyl a local vendor thinks he can special order. I could get by with it, but Iím trying for a better match.

With all the variations introduced by cameras and computer monitors, Iím hoping to find someone here who has already found a good match based on putting an actual piece of vinyl up to an actual boat.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Give Andy a call at domed numbers. They have an off white that they print. They are not exactly off the shelf but some of the best looking around. I think they can do non-domed too.

http://shop.domednumbers.com/product...rcraft-boats-1
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
Has anyone found an off-the shelf vinyl for registration letters/numbers that is a good match to the Oyster (off-white) on the 1994-1997 boats? If so, where did you get it and how did they identify the color? Have a vinyl manufacturer name and their identifying number and/or name for the color?

Iíve got a 94 ProStar 190 with a predominately Oyster hull with a Dark Teal major stripe and Hot Pink and Gray minor stripes. I just want to do solid color characters over the Dark Teal. I donít need doming or shadowing. I intend to have the letters/numbers done in the Hemi Head 426 font so many here consider a decent match to the proprietary Mastercraft font.

The best match to Oyster Iíve found so far is an Avery light gray (A9010-O) in their high performance vinyl a local vendor thinks he can special order. I could get by with it, but Iím trying for a better match.

With all the variations introduced by cameras and computer monitors, Iím hoping to find someone here who has already found a good match based on putting an actual piece of vinyl up to an actual boat.
Regarding color match - you have to do it locally - regarding ordering the A9010-O - if your local guy can't order I have dealers who resell this... check your local fellers rep. www.fellers.com.

Light colors hard to color match will process color. Also, matching gel coat and vinyl will be tough. I will be at ISA on Orlando April 23-26 - lot's of vendors. I can get you in for free.

PM me if you want to attend.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

I spoke to Andy at Domed Numbers today, who confirmed they offer non-domed numbers. They print on vinyl and laminate it for protection. He said their Mastercraft colors start in 2004, so for my 1994 ProStar 190, looking for a match to the Oyster color, he is mailing me a strip of sample off-whites.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
your best bet would be to get ahold of an Avery or Oracal color book and pick the best match from that, you might be able to find a sign maker that has a set of Pantone color swatches and match it that way and ask them to print and laminate your numbers. Going this route would be more expensive though.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

I’ve considered both approaches – vinyl with the color manufactured into it and printing on white vinyl with lamination for protection. I’ve gotten mixed opinions from sign and printing people about the durability of the latter approach. A local print shop has it on their front store window and trucks, which they wash, but it’s only been on for about eight months. Andy at Domed Numbers says he uses 3M stuff used to wrap vehicles and is comfortable with the expected life. A couple of places that make boat decals have tried to steer my off the printing and lamination approach because of concerns about durability.

I’ve given Andy at Domed Numbers the identifying information for the Avery vinyl color I found closest with the boat on hand and the Pantone color I found closest working from memory while going through a Pantone book at a local print shop. I expect he will factor that information into the off-white samples he mails to me. What he wants for printing and lamination is comparable to what they charge for single color domed numbers. He says that’s because he will use quality 3M materials for the print and laminate approach and that his costs are comparable to his costs for single color domed numbers.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Iíve considered both approaches Ė vinyl with the color manufactured into it and printing on white vinyl with lamination for protection. Iíve gotten mixed opinions from sign and printing people about the durability of the latter approach. A local print shop has it on their front store window and trucks, which they wash, but itís only been on for about eight months. Andy at Domed Numbers says he uses 3M stuff used to wrap vehicles and is comfortable with the expected life. A couple of places that make boat decals have tried to steer my off the printing and lamination approach because of concerns about durability.

Iíve given Andy at Domed Numbers the identifying information for the Avery vinyl color I found closest with the boat on hand and the Pantone color I found closest working from memory while going through a Pantone book at a local print shop. I expect he will factor that information into the off-white samples he mails to me. What he wants for printing and lamination is comparable to what they charge for single color domed numbers. He says thatís because he will use quality 3M materials for the print and laminate approach and that his costs are comparable to his costs for single color domed numbers.

If you're worried that the printed/laminated route won't last long, get two or three sets made at once. Depending on the size of the run it shouldn't cost you too much more. You should get a couple years of use before they start to deteriorate.

I made a HO Syndicate decal out of some cheap Oracal vinyl, it's been on the boat for at least six years and it looks as good today as the day I put it on. I keep my boat in the garage when it's not at the lake though, which I'm sure prolongs the life of the vinyl.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Regarding color match - you have to do it locally - regarding ordering the A9010-O - if your local guy can't order I have dealers who resell this... check your local fellers rep. www.fellers.com.

Light colors hard to color match will process color. Also, matching gel coat and vinyl will be tough. I will be at ISA on Orlando April 23-26 - lot's of vendors. I can get you in for free.

PM me if you want to attend.
If it's so hard to match with vinyl or vinyl printed with process color, maybe I should consider paint instead of vinyl to get a better color match.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
If it's so hard to match with vinyl or vinyl printed with process color, maybe I should consider paint instead of vinyl to get a better color match.
I have cheap process color vinyl numbers I printed and applied 4 years ago - they still look good.

I would not paint - the vinyls will last. the boat graphics are 18 years old and still not peeling or cracking... but I am replacing later this year with metallic vinyl.

Some edge sealer from a pen sealer will go a long way. 3M also makes a primer to promote adhesion. You can easily get a decade out the vinyls. Process color is tough - but eco-solvent printers can multi-strike print to provide a rich deep color.

Exact color match is impossible - many vinyl and sign guys are clueless when it comes to color match. A roll of premium colored vinyl cost around $50ish dollars for a 15"x10 yard roll.

Process printing should run no more than $30 for laminated customer registration numbers.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Tapatalk

Ok, so ever since I updated to the new iOS I get a tapia talk reminder each time I click on a link. It also logs me out each time I leave the site now. I want to use safari not tapia talk. Can someone correct these settings to only remind you once, not ever time you click a link?