Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-16-2014, 11:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'm been buying and selling boats in Michigan since I was 12 (between 12 - 18 I did this with my father). The last 4 boats I've owned have all been MasterCrafts and they have been by far the easiest boats to sell. You can move up the ladder with a series of wise MasterCraft purchases but you have to be smart about it. These are the rules I've used.....

Keep the boat as stock as possible - I've gone to great lengths to only upgrade the boat so that it looks like it came from the factory that way. People paying top dollar for these boats want a boat that looks factory. Anything less will in most cases detract from the sale price. If you add that tower there will be a good chance it won't be someone else's choice and you'll narrow your market. Do this only if you plan to keep the boat.

Clean, Clean, Clean - This is one area that people just baffle me in. They'll put their boat up for sale but not take the time to clean it before asking top dollar for it. They always end up leaving money on the table. Wet sanding and buffing to perfection won't cost much and will pay big benefits based on cost. That new rub rail if replaced with OEM type material will do the same. Same goes with the dash panel, detailing the engine, trailer and replacing the platform pad as long as they look like they came from the factory that way. All great affordable upgrades that will pay you back.

Avoid low ROI upgrades - Unless you plan on keeping the boat for a couple more years that PP is not going to bring you anymore money, at least not the kind that you'll put into it. Same with the tower. Let's face it each of those upgrades will end up costing 1/10 of the value of the boat a piece (if not more). It might help you sell it faster..... maybe. Do it only if you're doing it for yourself or plan to take it out before the sale.

Having you're perfect boat doesn't necessarily mean having a new or newer boat. I love the boat I have now but I sometimes miss a couple of the other boats I've owned and have on more than one occasion considered selling only to purchase one similar to one I'd previously owned. All boats have quirks and you'll need to do a lot of research before jumping into another previously owned boat (consider the vinyl issues of the early 2000 year boats as an example). It sounds like you could make this one something that would work real well for you but if you plan to sell in the next year or two be careful not to sink so much money into it that you most likely won't get it back.....

My 2 cents
Great advice. You hit the nail on the head on all points.

MI_Corey......good luck with your decision.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-16-2014, 11:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Personally on these mid 90 maristars it's the new dimension tower or nothing really. Those boats look great with that tower,or even your pylon (especially the ease of storage you get with the pylon if you're storing in a garage or unit) btburner has great advice,towers are purely opinion on what looks best, so buying a cheaper tower will narrow the buyers market. The upgrades add up, and if you're gonna keep the new boat a long time it makes sense in the long run to just take the plunge. Just my .02!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
Thanks Aric'sX15. I need someone to back me up on my indulging lust and help me justify it to the wife! haha But I do agree on the ND towers. It's just hard to justify a tower that's a 1/4 of the boat value.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Clean, Clean, Clean - This is one area that people just baffle me in. They'll put their boat up for sale but not take the time to clean it before asking top dollar for it.
100% agree on this. When I was looking for boats, it was unbelievable how dirty people would show their boats to me. When you are too lazy to pick up a dirty Kleenex laying in front of the driver's seat, I don't want to buy your boat.

Click on the link above for Jabsco ballast pumps, green impellers, bearings, and many other ballast pump repair parts.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
100% agree on this. When I was looking for boats, it was unbelievable how dirty people would show their boats to me. When you are too lazy to pick up a dirty Kleenex laying in front of the driver's seat, I don't want to buy your boat.
No kidding.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
I ran into that a lot when looking too. Unfortunately even at dealerships.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
I don't get that either. How often do we see ads for boats that are full of leaves etc? makes it look like the person doesn't really want to sell the boat, or doesn't really care about it. Either way, pushes a buyer away.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
I don't get that either. How often do we see ads for boats that are full of leaves etc? makes it look like the person doesn't really want to sell the boat, or doesn't really care about it. Either way, pushes a buyer away.
+1 the leaves in the boat always amazes me... big tell on how the boat was cared for...
Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
I would agree with BT except I would simply clean it very well, wetsand and wax. Even the rubrail if currently presentable, I would leave. These are different than say a car with bald tires and crap brakes versus advertising a car with "brand new tires and brakes" People are familiar with brakes and tires. Not so much with perfect pass. Reminds me of a buddy who had a very nice KTM dirt bike with a ton of add ons. When he decided to sell he added up the price of all the bling he put on the bike and expected to get nearly what he had into it which was more than a brand new stock bike. If a guy's ad states: Well I've got XX$ into it so the least I would take is XX$ it means he's trying to forward his overspending, foolish or not onto you. No thanks I'd say enjoy your $2000 skull wrapped X-star and move along. My $.02
Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
I would agree with BT except I would simply clean it very well, wetsand and wax. Even the rubrail if currently presentable, I would leave. These are different than say a car with bald tires and crap brakes versus advertising a car with "brand new tires and brakes" People are familiar with brakes and tires. Not so much with perfect pass. Reminds me of a buddy who had a very nice KTM dirt bike with a ton of add ons. When he decided to sell he added up the price of all the bling he put on the bike and expected to get nearly what he had into it which was more than a brand new stock bike. If a guy's ad states: Well I've got XX$ into it so the least I would take is XX$ it means he's trying to forward his overspending, foolish or not onto you. No thanks I'd say enjoy your $2000 skull wrapped X-star and move along. My $.02
Very well stated 210.