Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I can attest to the false fuel economy numbers on the ecoboost. In the 4500 miles I've driven mine, it's averaged a total of 14.2mpg. That's lower than the city mpg claim of 16. Oh well, it tows great and that's really what I bought it for.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
It has been my experience that new generation direct injection diesels are a cut above when it comes to fuel economy. The 3 ltr diesel in my toyota with 5 speed auto will get over 30 mpg as a daily driver. Two weeks ago towed 2.5 ton over 1000 miles for an average economy figure of 19 MPG. It's a horses for courses thing and the turbo petrols will be quicker but for towing and general duty low down torque is king. Down here diesel is about 10% more costly than gas and the purchase price is higher too but refuelling is less frequent and resale/engine life is where you win the tortoise vs hare race. Diesels are much preferred in larger or 4x4 vehicles and it has been that way for about 20 years. On my previous Toyota, replaced by identical vehicle, depreciation was 10% of purchase price after 60,000 klms and 3 yrs.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I can attest to the false fuel economy numbers on the ecoboost. In the 4500 miles I've driven mine, it's averaged a total of 14.2mpg. That's lower than the city mpg claim of 16. Oh well, it tows great and that's really what I bought it for.
Dang. I'm getting 17 mixed in my 2wd 5.0 and Budmanv24 gets 14.2 in his 5.0 fx4 and drives the piss out of it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I get about 18 mixed driving in my '14 F150 4x4 ecoboost.
10k miles so far.
Love the highway ride a tows my FJ40 great. Integrated trailer brake controller is slick too
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I get about 18 mixed driving in my '14 F150 4x4 ecoboost.
10k miles so far.
Love the highway ride a tows my FJ40 great. Integrated trailer brake controller is slick too
Yeah, I love the ride, it definitely does not feel like a truck.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihrdskir View Post
On my previous Toyota, replaced by identical vehicle, depreciation was 10% of purchase price after 60,000 klms and 3 yrs.
Wow, things really are upside down, down under

That level of depreciation makes no sense unless demand is so high and manufacturers cant keep up?
A straight line depreciation is 30 years with assumed zero maintenance cost!

I would be trading every 3 years for sure. Leasing should also be dirt cheap. BUT, I seriously don't believe the statement to be factual over more than just a single transaction.

Direct injection is a promising advancement. I do believe mfg need to step up stock fuel delivery and filtering if they are going to continue increasing injector pressures and sophistication.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Direct injection is a promising advancement. I do believe mfg need to step up stock fuel delivery and filtering if they are going to continue increasing injector pressures and sophistication.
Very little fuel economy gain with direct injection, especially on an N/A car. You still need to run stoic so you don't smoke the valves or a cat. You get a lot of help in transient maneuvers though, since you don't have to worry about how much fuel is in your puddle, so that's where your real fuel economy gain would be (city cycle). I can also see it helping for cold starts.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Very little fuel economy gain with direct injection, especially on an N/A car. You still need to run stoic so you don't smoke the valves or a cat. You get a lot of help in transient maneuvers though, since you don't have to worry about how much fuel is in your puddle, so that's where your real fuel economy gain would be (city cycle). I can also see it helping for cold starts.
Cant argue too much with the statement but most applications are turbo. Ecoboost and Big 3 diesels for example.
DI probably wont show up in my lawnmower but that is ok, people need to recognize where efficient/clean technology makes sense and not create undo costs on those that don't..... marine catalytic converters
Old 05-07-2014, 03:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Why is it sad news? What possible reason would there be to buy one of these Johnny come lately brands, when GM, Ford, and Dodge have been doing diesels since the 90's?
Toyota has been making diesel engines since 1956....just not here in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...engines#Diesel

http://www.toyota.co.uk/diesel-cars

The Hilux (Tacoma) has been offered in a diesel since 1979.

We have just been super slow to catch on here in the US because gas was cheap, the dollar was strong, and we were all too spoiled to care about either. Now that we have ULS diesel, reliable turbos, and a weaker economy...people are starting to adopt diesel much more openly. This is also why VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Mazda have all introduced new diesels to the US in the last five years.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -

Last edited by FoggyNogginz; 05-07-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Diesel is far more efficient than gas and the rest of the world has caught on. The US market is late to the game. Has anyone seen the numbers on the Mercedes E-55 Blutec hybrid? 67.2 mpg. We cant tow a boat with it but thats impressive. The eco-boost motors were a joke for fuel economy from the get go advertising 15% fuel efficiency over other motor options. That equates to... 1mpg. Fun to drive but all turbo motors are.
I can not wait to catch up with Europe in the diesel market in standard cars. While in belgium years ago I drove a diesel focus, diesel opel astra wagon, diesel VW golf, and diesel Renault Kangoo. I enjoyed them all. The overall build quality seemed higher in the focus as well. It was proof to me that the whining, under torqued gas motors of the every day economy/ mid range cars are inferior for daily driving. We are stuck in the notion of black smoke billowing, loud, and smelly diesels of a decade ago. For our SUVs and trucks we should be offered a diesel option.
As far as the chevy 5.3, I average 16.2 city, 19.5 highway (70-75 mph) in my 07 4wd avalanche. I do long for a bit more power while towing my 5k lb boat though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk