Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Chevy Avalanche Truck Racks

I'm looking to get a rack for my Avalanche to carry a kayak, surfboard, and paddleboard. In addition to one roof rack across the top of the cab (that rests on top of the stock longitudinal racks already there) I'll need a removable rack at the back of the bed.

Can anyone suggest a source?

It's a 2007 LTZ.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
www.yakima.com

www.thule.com

That's where I'd start...

Do you have an REI retail store around you?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
I'm looking to get a rack for my Avalanche to carry a kayak, surfboard, and paddleboard. In addition to one roof rack across the top of the cab (that rests on top of the stock longitudinal racks already there) I'll need a removable rack at the back of the bed.

Can anyone suggest a source?

It's a 2007 LTZ.
I've never seen one. I'd buy one if they were available. I've thought of having one custom built - but don't have a lot of use for one. Just occasional. I'd have it built so that you remove the 2 rear "hooks" behind the saddlebag lids and use those bolts to mount it.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Technically nobody makes a rack that fits the Avalanche bed covers. That being said it can be done with a Yakima setup without having to drill holes in the bed covers. I researched a lot and came up with this setup. I leave my cross bars on all the time. You can remove the bed covers same as always.

48" Yakima Cross Bars (You could go longer but you would have to mount past the sail panels and your side storage wouldn't open)
Yakima Q Towers
Yakima Q Clip 30

I carry 3 bikes (Frontloader racks) on mine and have the bars mounted on cover 1 and 2 so if needed I can remove cover 3 for long items and still have the rack. You could easily mount the cross bars anywhere on the bed covers moving the rear bar nearly to the tailgate if needed for longer items. Photo attached of mine without the bike racks on. I also have a Loadwarrior basket that I can mount to the bars which allows all kinds of storage over the bed covers. The basket can also be mounted on the roof mounted factory rails or on any other vehicle with factory or aftermarket crossbars

I got all my stuff from ORS Racks Direct who seem to have the best prices and great customer service. Here is a link to them with the links to the Avalanche setup (but I see they have a misprint in the description saying 58" cross bars you want 48").

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/2010-c...ike-racks.html
Attached Images

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 02-13-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
^^ If you go that route, I have that exact setup minus the clips that I used to use on my Lexus. That car has since been sold, and I'd be willing to part with the rack. I'd give it to you for 25% less than what ORS racks comes up with. They have locks installed on them, and I even still have the keys! All you'd have to do is buy new clips and swap them out. They're probably 25-30 bucks I'd guess.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Technically nobody makes a rack that fits the Avalanche bed covers. That being said it can be done with a Yakima setup without having to drill holes in the bed covers. I researched a lot and came up with this setup. I leave my cross bars on all the time. You can remove them same as always.

48" Yakima Cross Bars
Yakima Q Towers
Yakima Q Clip 30

I carry 3 bikes (Frontloader racks) on mine and have the bars mounted on cover 1 and 2 so if needed I can remove cover 3 for long items and still have the rack. You could easily mount the cross bars anywhere on the bed covers moving the rear bar nearly to the tailgate if needed for longer items. Photo attached of mine without the bike racks on. I also have a Loadwarrior basket that I can mount to the bars which allows all kinds of storage over the bed covers. The basket can also be mounted on the roof mounted factory rails or on any other vehicle with factory or aftermarket crossbars

I got all my stuff from ORS Racks Direct who seem to have the best prices and great customer service. Here is a link to them with the links to the Avalanche setup (but I see they have a misprint in the description saying 58" cross bars you want 48").

Dang Brian, that looks awesome.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I ended up getting a pair of Yakima cross bars to mount on the roof (only needed one, though) and an "Extend a Truck" for the rear (http://www.extendatruck.com/). Not the ideal solution, but it works. I was hoping for something a little more permanent so I wouldn't have to bother with installing the rack in the hitch each time before using it. I was looking for something like what JohnE suggested. What the Extend a Truck website doesn't tell or show you is that you also have to strap the arms of the unit to the truck to keep it stiff when using the "tall" configuration.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
I had the same setup on my Avalanche before I got the duramax. Was great, just need to have some reach to operate all the mounts for bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Technically nobody makes a rack that fits the Avalanche bed covers. That being said it can be done with a Yakima setup without having to drill holes in the bed covers. I researched a lot and came up with this setup. I leave my cross bars on all the time. You can remove the bed covers same as always.

48" Yakima Cross Bars (You could go longer but you would have to mount past the sail panels and your side storage wouldn't open)
Yakima Q Towers
Yakima Q Clip 30

Old 07-06-2014, 04:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 ProStar 205, TBI engine, single-axle removable-tongue MC trailer, Monster tower
Thank you BrianM and timvan! I just took the family on vacation to Minocqua, WI, which is about 475 miles from home. It was our first family trip with both the boat and bicycles. The Q towers and Q30 clips worked great without issue. And is spite of heavy rain on a good portion of the trip up, no water got into the bed under the tonneau panels.
Attached Images

'94 ProStar 205, TBI engine
MC single axle trailer, removable tongue
Monster tower
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That's a nifty set up. I like it.