Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Bring on Brostock.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
So I will be at the Acworth, GA event. How close can you get in your boat and can you actually see anything from the water?
You can get right up next to it and see everything if you don't mind the waves.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN X-45 View Post
You can get right up next to it and see everything if you don't mind the waves.
I don't mind but the little 190 gets a little upset with them. Looks like I will be front and center. Thanks.

Where is the best place to launch? Not fimilar with Alltoona as I am always deep in a cove on Lanier.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '07 X2
If you launch at blockhouse you are a few hundred yards away after you come out of the no-wake
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
A lot of people will camp too. Most campgrounds have boat launches.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Wow. No women and no juniors. Not the direction wakeboarding needs to go IMO.

I'd really like to get some background on why they cut those two divisions. I've seen some incredibly negative feedback from a lot of people directed at MC for this decision.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Yeah I'm pretty shocked at that. Apparently Nicola isn't going to be apart of MC because of it or something. I agree, wrong direction PWT!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Wakeboarding has seen a real decline in the past few years in public interest for sure. It's just not that interesting of a sport and the general public can't be bothered with it.

If the general public doesn't perceive it to be interesting, then money put into promotion, event execution, sponsorship etc just isn't there. I mean, just follow the ASP World Tour. Sure, Kelly, Mick, Parko etc. make money, but the rest of the field PAYS to be there.

Anything televised depends on money. If it doesn't make money, it doesn't make it on air. That's obviously the reason much of wakeboard competition isn't on TV at all. It's long gone from the XGames, the Gravity Games are defunct, and the odd Red Bull Cable Park comp gets some late night recognition.

With wakeboard boats like the X Series, G Series and the like priced over $120K, wakeboarding has become not marketable to the general public. The heyday enjoyed by Byerly, Gator, Parks and the boys is very much gone. It's just not 'cool' anymore, if it even ever was.

Marketing big events to a select group of fans quickly becomes not cost effective. Wakeboard sales are sure to be down with the onslaught of wakesurfers I see on the lake. I remember when we wakeboarded every day, now, all I see are racks full of 10 year old boards and people 'surfing' on the rope behind boats chock full of people.

Don't get me wrong, I love all aspects of watersport. I grew up on the water, and have just secured lakefront property to continue my favorite past-time from here on out. I still slalom, wakeboard, foot and surf. I'm just attempting to add a marketing eye to the current state of big wakes...
Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
all I see are racks full of 10 year old boards and people 'surfing' on the rope behind boats chock full of people.
This is so true!!! Every 6 am set i took this year, we were usually the only people with wake boards on our racks (not complaining about 6 am surfers, just saying) Few years ago, people used to fight over the smoothest line on the wake for boarding. Now, the lake is usually just scattered of surfers. (no hate, I surf too)

Things have changed...
Old 02-10-2014, 01:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I agree completely. Wakeboarding is on the decline in popularity unfortunately. With the now exclusion of women's and Jr events on the MC tour this year, I feel this might be the last year potentially for competitive wake tours that invite the public out. They should be focusing on the young crowd and women to create a buzz. They are a strong part the next "generation". I was hoping to get my 6 year old excited about wakeboarding by seeing some kids just a few years older pulling crazy tricks. With the growing popularity of the growing "wake surfing" trend, it has become the forefront of the wake-style boats such as the X46 or the new Bu series that are marketing a great "surf" wake. No one wants to pay $ to see people competitively surfing behind a $120K boat, obviously.