Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 X35
My JL cans are aluminum on my 2012 X-35. The tower speakers are made for a sealed space. I will say that the 7.7's sound awesome with 150W going to each and a properly tuned amplifier by an audio shop. Going from the M400/4 to the HD600/4 is definitely a night and day comparison as far as projection of the sound and midbass.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
The cans with forward lights are not really sealed btw, there is a gap between light and can that needs to be sealed, I used automotive compressed sealing tape, closing the cable hole toward the tower might also be worth a thought
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Some of the OEM pods have the flaw of an unsealed pod (version with the lamp) and some are sealed. You'll have to inspect your own. You still need internal access for servicing the lamp. It's very important that the job of sealing the pod is done with a highly rigid material rather than something that could behave like a flexible membrane when under pressure. Earmark Marine has a kit that is made from a 0.125" thick aluminum plate.
An acoustic suspension speaker, like the tower 7.7 versus the cockpit 7.7, is dependent on the back pressure of a sealed pod for proper damping, midbass response, and power handling.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The cans with forward lights are not really sealed btw, there is a gap between light and can that needs to be sealed, I used automotive compressed sealing tape, closing the cable hole toward the tower might also be worth a thought
I used layers of Dynamat to try to seal the holes in the speaker can with the lights.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
especially with the fake chrome plate on it. just looks bad.
Didnt realize stainless steel was fake chrome.....
Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
That is hideous. And agreed that German Cross thing gets me turned sideways looking at it every time. They are loud. But some people want that clarity. When I am just sitting in my boat and paying attention, I can hear sidetalk in recordings, noises I never knew where there before, and at surf speeds I'm happy as can be. For me clarity/durability won over vs how loud at 70' /cheaper $$ the wetsounds were.

I will be waiting for the 8's and the new 12 sub. And I will be ready when they do.
I agree on the looks for sure, its not for everyone. but I have to disagree on the clarity. The rev series has unbelievable clarity while surpassing the JLs in sound projection. the rev series has to be heard to really understand. I understand the skepticism of the wet sounds clarity due to the absolute harshness of the Pro series wet sounds, which were not good surf/ in the boat sounding speakers. There are many pros and cons to each speaker, you just need to go listen for yourself and see which speaker fits your needs.

I also don't think the JLs are more expensive than the wet sounds at 899-1199 a pair. lol.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Didnt realize stainless steel was fake chrome.....
I went to the site and looked - your right it is stainless, my apologies.

Just do not like the look.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
If you don't like the iron cross grill then you can go without the S.S. overlays which tend to emphasize the pattern. A full black grill against a black speaker cone background is a fairly non-descript pattern.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM
MC Fanatic

I went to the boat show last night and finally got to listen to a pair of Rev10's and a pair of Rev8's on a tower of a new Tige. I gave them my iphone with a song that I knew well to play on the system for a sound test. It didnt sound very good, maybe it was not tuned or its under powered, battery low, maybe its the Rev8's. iphones dont have the same quality output as an itouch. I found the array to be quite shrill and harsh when compared to my HP770's. Note quite what I was expecting.

The white speakers look ok without the sst overlay. but it would be nice if they produced another grill design option for those of us that arent MMA fighters.

Its nice to see a boat manufacturer putting that much effort and cash (premium HLCD) into tower speakers on an OEM install, well integrated in to the tower, in a good spot where it not a noggin cracker.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
That's exactly been my experience with the WetSounds...maybe a little more positive. My friends X15 has a Rev 10 rev 8 combo, it in my opinion sounds awesome...way more sound projection than the JL's, not even close...but for in boat listening, the 770's are better musically and sound more rich. I was danger close to going with the Rev10's on my new XStar, but reality is for the 1 person wakeboarding at 70' for the 300 or so minutes a year that they are up and out of the water it is not worth sacrificing the sound I prefer the 9,000 minutes a year we are cruising or anchored up at the sand bar.

I love this stuff though and that's why I'm really interested to hear the new 8's from JL to see if they are worth the upgrade.