Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
ol1970 ol1970 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
Location: midwest
Posts: 206
New 8.8" JL tower speakers

I see that JL is going to be offering 8.8" versions coming this summer. Are there any spec's or information out there on how much power they might be able to handle? Just curious if a HD750/1 will be overkill per pair...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Aric'sX15's Avatar
Aric'sX15 Aric'sX15 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Location: Corinth
Posts: 3,059
I wouldnt wanna put that much to coax speakers. If youre gonna get new cans and everything I would just get wetsounds!
__________________
"if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM
David Analog's Avatar
David Analog David Analog is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: N/A
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I see that JL is going to be offering 8.8" versions coming this summer. Are there any spec's or information out there on how much power they might be able to handle? Just curious if a HD750/1 will be overkill per pair...
While the JL Audio is an 8.8" (O.D.), this will be an actual full 8-inch speaker.
Power handling is 25% more than a 'M' 7.7" which routinely get 175 watts each. So in the highpass mode I would safely go a bit above 200 watts. But 375 watts each would be too much in my opinion unless you really know how to take care....meaning that you would know how to recognize and avoid anything approaching amplifier clipping or compression.
This 8.8 is a completely different animal. Besides having a monster midbass motor structure, it has a proprietary 1.25" dome tweeter which has 60% more surface area than a 1.0" with a lower resonance and deeper midrange reach. Unlike the 7.7, which is a suberb surf speaker when correctly powered, the 8.8 will have real ability at wake range. Most important, you won't find a more musically accurate tower speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Stefan Stefan is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Boat: 2012 X-15...gone, 2014 X-46 Gen2+
Location: middle of Germany, center of Europe (the old world)
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
While the JL Audio is an 8.8" (O.D.), this will be an actual full 8-inch speaker.
Power handling is 25% more than a 'M' 7.7" which routinely get 175 watts each. So in the highpass mode I would safely go a bit above 200 watts. But 375 watts each would be too much in my opinion unless you really know how to take care....meaning that you would know how to recognize and avoid anything approaching amplifier clipping or compression.
This 8.8 is a completely different animal. Besides having a monster midbass motor structure, it has a proprietary 1.25" dome tweeter which has 60% more surface area than a 1.0" with a lower resonance and deeper midrange reach. Unlike the 7.7, which is a suberb surf speaker when correctly powered, the 8.8 will have real ability at wake range. Most important, you won't find a more musically accurate tower speaker.
So far I have only found the 8.8 cockpit coax on JL's site, no 8.8 tower speakers, do you know what's coming up?
__________________
If You Find To Many Capitals You Can Keep Them...I'm German
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
David Analog's Avatar
David Analog David Analog is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: N/A
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
Yes, I do. Not until summer though, but JL Audio will be releasing their tower version of the M 8.8 coaxial in a pod with some nice fixed & swivel collars, plus some boat-specific mounting options.

They will also be delivering some time this year a new dedicated marine IB 12-inch subwoofer with a 4-inch voice coil and a massive basket & motor. Perhaps an air-suspension version of the sub will follow but nothing has been announced yet.

Time tables for new products are never a certainty. But both of these are purely domestic productions so at least there's no waiting on the boat.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM
ol1970 ol1970 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
Location: midwest
Posts: 206
David, do you think it would be worth upgrading from the 770's?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
mlawler34 mlawler34 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X Star
Location: Midwest
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
David, do you think it would be worth upgrading from the 770's?
I was wondering the same thing as I am getting ready to update to JL's on my 2004 Tower...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM
David Analog's Avatar
David Analog David Analog is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: N/A
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
Here is what I would recommend for anyone entertaining a new stereo system or upgrades for their boat. Get with Odin at Earmark Marine. He is an authorized on-line dealer for both Wetsounds and JL Audio among other prominent brands. Why Odin? The support. Especially the technical support. Odin (in Plano, Dallas Texas) has been with Earmark since 1992 and has worked in installation, sales, purchasing and management. A musician since 1984, Odin combines his love for music with a technical understanding of audio extending beyond mobile and marine electronics. Odin, as a musician, has performed with local band Southbound since 1999, worked as the in-house sound engineer for hundreds of local and national touring artists at local music venue Hank’s Texas Grill since 2004 and collects and restores vintage amplifiers. With his vast mobile electronics technical experience and pro-sound background, Odin has an incredibly deep understanding of everything audio. He will guide his customers into the correct gear and walk his customers through every aspect of the installation. Odin is definitely a tuning specialist. He can keep it basic for you or get into the more advanced aspects....whatever your personal tolerance or desire for technical is.
As soon as the new JL Audio 8.8 ships, Odin will have them side by side on a tower with the 7.7s. He might be able to send you an AB comparison video.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM
ol1970 ol1970 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
Location: midwest
Posts: 206
Plano TX is a long way from Detroit, I wish I could have had MC just ship my boat their directly for the upgrades I'm doing...I kind of figure I should wait and hear the difference first hand though for the 8.8's.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Aric'sX15's Avatar
Aric'sX15 Aric'sX15 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Location: Corinth
Posts: 3,059
Got to see Scream Marines boat here at the dallas boat show last weekend. have you even considered wet sounds? i can guarantee your not gonna get the sound or projection like he rev series as you will with a overpowered coaxial.
__________________
"if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.