Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
We lined our whole dock with these from Wahoo docks. Awesome stuff and easily replaceable in 2 ft sections.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10, 6.0L, Gen2 Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
We lined our whole dock with these from Wahoo docks. Awesome stuff and easily replaceable in 2 ft sections.
Do you have a Wahoo dock? We are wanting to put in a new floating dock this spring and I found Wahoo and like their designs. Just looking to talk to someone that has actually purchased one.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethro View Post
I couldn't find any really good pics, just this crappy one on my phone. It is just 3" PVC with an approximately 1" slit cut in the back from the bottom to about half way up the pipe. It fits pretty tight so there is no slop when installed on the post. My docks are 8' long, which works fine for any Stars and Stripes that show up at the dock. Works even better for bigger boats, but if I was designing a bumper system I would space them about 6' apart.
I use a dock like this is the summer at a friends house. They did it a little different in that the poles with the pvc are seperate from the dock poles. They then bungee the top of the pole/pvs to the dock pole to give it a little slop to lessen the impact on the dock as well as on the boat.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 205, 1998
We had used fire hose, attached in a wavy pattern on our dock. It did leave marks on the boat, even though it's a private site with no other boat traffic. The drip molded decals on my buddy's x7 were even gouged a bit over time.

I agree with an earlier comment that states the best option is to have vertical posts that will contact the rub rail. Our dock now has vertical 2x4's through bolted to the deck that work well.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
The fact is that there is no good dock edge that I would tie to for an extended amount of time. The best solution is vertical posts covered in PVC to ride on the rubrail, but even that is not perfect... especially in an area with a lot of boat traffic or rough conditions.

For extended mooring, I love these: http://www.wakewatcher.com/ or setting a mooring off the dock and pulling the boat in as needed. For us, our waterways here are way too busy to tie a boat to the dock.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft X2
We have a T dock with the boat sitting nose out in the left upper corner of the T. We use boat whips to keep the boat away from the dock and this always works well. We only pull up next to the dock to get in/out and otherwise the whips keep the boat about 3 feet from the dock at all times. We've yet to have problems with this setup. The whip system is similar to but simpler and cheaper than the wakewatcher setup linked to in the above post.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post
We have a T dock with the boat sitting nose out in the left upper corner of the T. We use boat whips to keep the boat away from the dock and this always works well. We only pull up next to the dock to get in/out and otherwise the whips keep the boat about 3 feet from the dock at all times. We've yet to have problems with this setup. The whip system is similar to but simpler and cheaper than the wakewatcher setup linked to in the above post.
Let's see your set up! I am always looking for simple and cheaper.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 MASTERCRAFT PRO STAR 190
THIS IS KIND OF A BAD PHOTO BUT WE HAVE 4x4 POSTS VERTICALLY EVERY 6 FEET OR SO. THAT WAY THE EDGE OF THE PIER ISNT PARALLEL WITH YOUR RUB RAIL. WAVES TOOK MINE OFF EVERY TIME BEFORE WE ADDED THE 4x4'S. WITH THE VERTICAL POSTS, YOU ONLY HAVE 3 1/2" TOUCHING THE BOAT IN A COUPLE OF SPOTS

I DONT KNOW WHICH KID PUT THE LIFE JACKETS ON THE POSTS EITHER...THEY USUALLY ARENT THERE AND IT WORKS PRETTY GOOD!

THIS IS A FEW YEARS BACK WHEN I HAD THE OL TRUSTY 89!!
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '14 X46 7.4L
CruisinGA,

Do the Wahoo protectors leave black marks on the hull?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Our Floe lift uses 4" white PVC pipe (vertically) for guides, which for the first 10-15 trips of the year get used a lot! I think another design that helps keep scuff marks to nothingness is having them oversized so they can actually roll with the boat sliding across them. The aluminum part of the guide is made of a 1.5x3" tubing so there's lots of room for it to roll around.