Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-15-2015, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 2005 XStar
Mapping my 05 XStar ballast

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I've never thoroughly understood exactly how my 2005 XStar ballast works exactly......

Here's what I think I know....
-There's a single manifold on bottom of hull that serves as intake for all 3 hard tanks.
-There's a trifurcated valve off the manifold that allows water to be pumped into starboard, KGB, and port tanks individually depending on which pump is activated on drivers console.
-Each of the tanks has a vent hose which allows excess water to overflow out the side bilge when full and prevents "vapor lock" when draining.
-The overflow hose on the port hard tank has been modified "plug-n-play" style w/ kit from wakemakers so that it overflows into my 1100 fat sac in the port rear locker.
-1100 sac in port locker has overflow hose attached to it so theoretically it should overflow once full out the side bilge when full.

Assuming the above is true, I don't understand why my ballast system is doing the following and certainly don't have a clue how to correct these problems.....
1.) Port overflows into 1100 sac in port rear locker but doesn't vent out the bilge. While I'm filling the port sac (after hard tank is full and overflow to fill #1100), the sac needs someone to "crack" the top valve on #1100 to release air pressure building up so sac fills only w/ water not 1/2 water and 1/2 air.
Same thing is true when pumping water out of sack. If someone doesn't crack the top valve, the sack will collapse on itself kind of like a food saver vacuum sealer...
2.) The starboard tank seems to be filling when not in use meaning I will take boat out on lake and not activate the starboard pump but when I return to marina, my XStar is listing to the starboard side and I can pump water out of the starboard hard tank to "level" the boat.
3.) Both the starboard and KGB Jabsco pumps sound a little sick and both "spurt" water out when activated to drain tanks. If both are activated at same time, the "spurting" water out of bilge becomes a little more of a constant stream but nothing like the port Jabsco pumps constant "water faucet" like stream.
4.) I almost never fill the starboard or KGB hard tanks during the summer and they both are constantly needing to be drained after an outing on the lake.... I will fill the port hard tank and #1100 sack almost everytime out on the lake so we can surf, but never the other two tanks and yet they both constantly need drained....

I was pretty certain the starboard and KGB pumps were failing and the impellers needed replaced to rectify the spurting issue, but removed pumps the other night and green impellers weren't missing any fins and appeared to be in excellent condition... I know the port side locker overflow hose isn't doing what it's suppose to do but don't know where the hell it's going b/c it doesn't seem to vent even air pressure when filling/bilging #1100 sack. Going to go out to boat tonight and at least solve this mystery by following the vent hose from wake maker kit...

Would anyone describe how the ballast system works if my description is inaccurate? Would sure appreciate any insight into correcting these issues which seem to be interrelated!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
You must have some type of blockage in your vent hose coming of your 1100# sac. I would disconnect it at the bag and then blow through it and see if it is stopped up.
We defy the mafia!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM
TT Hero
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
You must have some type of blockage in your vent hose coming of your 1100# sac. I would disconnect it at the bag and then blow through it and see if it is stopped up.
^this.....or someone installed a check valve in the wrong direction.

If your starboard tank fills while driving without pump on perhaps your impeller is too soft, allowing water past it. Try a new green one, or go back to the black one.
I was njskier on here.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 PM
MC Devotee
Boat: 2007 X2
Mud robbers love the vent and overflow fittings. When we got our X2 one vent was packed with Mud. It was a chore to get it opened up.
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 AM
TT Newbie
Boat: 2003 X-star
Perhaps an air leak. I've had a number of similar issues.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 AM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 2005 XStar
Appreciate the advice. Been dealing w/ trailer issue past week, but going to tackle the ballast problem tomorrow eve and will post update afterwards....