Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-30
Wood Stove/Furnace

Just curious if anyone has one of these and uses it for their primary heat source? Due to me living out in the sticks I have propane and thanks to the recent shortage my last fill up was double the cost. At $4.40/gallon x 400 gallons my heating expenses just went way up. Hopefully that will last 2 months and that's with keeping the thermostat at a balmy 64 degrees. I can't imagine the price of propane staying this high but at the same time I'm afraid its going to be like gas where they hit you high and then the new normal price is higher than before.

I have an unlimited supply of wood so I'd have to spend time cutting, splitting and stacking but even then that's not the end of the world for me now that I sit behind a desk most of the day. I'm just looking for feedback either positive or negative or any other alternative resources for heat. My house is a 2000 sq. ft. ranch (9-10ft ceilings) all brick with 2x6 construction so it's insulated well and isn't drafty.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
We have a hardy furnace at our new house, havnt got it hooked up yet but hopefully soon as electric bills are high without it. It burns wood to heat water and runs the water through a core in the blower. Also fills the hot water heater with hot water so saves hot water heater from running much too. Supposed to be super efficient and all you have to run in the house is some water lines and a power feed to the furnace.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200
I have an old very drafty house that I heat with baseboard and a woodstove. The wood stove is great, a little bit of work, and can be a little messy, but I love having it. I also have a little problem in that I love to burn ****, so I may be a little biased.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195
skps190 I feel your pain. My family is in the LP business here on the west coast and we are seeing 5 and 6 dollars a gallon in some areas here. Spot prices are what propane companies pay for fuel and they jumped last week at Conway and Mont belvieu the two largest suppliers in the country. Spot price for a gallon of propane last Wednesday at Conway where most of the major retailers get fuel jumped from 2.20 a gallon to 4.50 and closed at 5.00 dollars at days end. In the 30 plus years my family has been in this business they have never seen anything like it. This is a good read and google for infor. All I can said to you is conserve the best you can. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...#disqus_thread
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195
Also you are lucky you got a full fill. More infor for you. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0N0AB20140124
Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
What exactly are you referring to as a woodstove/ furnace? I've seen true wood fired warm air furnaces, and also indoor and outdoor wood boilers. There is a distinct difference. Any links or pics of what you are referring to? I've also installed a few.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-30
Quincyfirefighter- I know the price is purely supply and demand, and I am grateful we got filled. The gauge on our tank was so low it looked as if there was nothing left so I was in panic mode for the couple of days it took to get filled. I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and we've had some crazy weather this winter with more to come. I'm fortunate that I have the ability to pay that much, granted I don't want to but more bills like the last one and there are going to have to be some lifestyle changes. I can't imagine how people living check to check are going to heat their houses if they're dependent on LP.

JohnE- I'm thinking of something like this:
http://http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-3-000-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Add-On-Furnace-28-3500/100185844?N=5yc1vZc4ls

Last edited by skps190; 02-01-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 205v
I have a Timberwolf furnace, I heat 4000 sq. ft. with it alone. House and shop electric bill runs in the 125.00 range, but I burn a lot of wood. If you don't have access to free wood its not the answer. www.timberwolffurnace.com
Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I have been researching water stoves, like clrussel has. I work with two guys that both have Hardy water stoves. They have nothing but great things to say about them. One guy said that he has never had to do anything to his. The other guy said that he had to replace one $5 part in the past 5 years. The Hardy stoves are all stainless steel.

Like jwheeler mentioned, I need to find a good place for free wood. I do have a place but it is an hours drive, which is too far.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I'm far from an expert, but what I've heard from others is that it's around $10K to install the exterior ones and it only makes sense if you need to heat a shop also. However, looking at the timberwolf site, they say cost is only half of that.

I'm building and will be on propane. My plan is a wood burning stove downstairs. Wife likes having a fire, so it will be a wood stove in the living room, not tied into the furnace. My plan is to strategically place return ducts high and low by the stove. That way, I can open the top ones and shut the bottom ones and run my furnace fan on the low setting (~70 watt energy consumption) to better circulate the heat throughout the house. The wood stove will let me burn wood for heat when I want to reduce propane, but I don't have to rely on it for my primary heat source. It will also be nice to have if the power is out.