Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
http://www.sharkbite.com/

I think this is the originator of the fittings I am talking about. Just the brand I have seen in stores here are called gatorbite instead.
Those are probably prohibitively more expensive than the standard pex fitting. To use the pex fittings you use a tool to expand the pipe. Then you insert a fitting and ferule and the pipe shrinks back down for a secure fit. The crimp style is not for pex. (ICBW, but I think the crimps are for a different brand of the same style pipe.)

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
we used PEX to add an additional faucet to the back of our house about 50 feet exterior from an existing faucet. I was going the PVC route but it was going to be a royal PITA due to all the 90* angles & cuts to follow the base of the slab around to the added location. I got it along with the sharkbite fittings at our local Home Depot ... they also had these bent sheet metal devices that snapped on the PEX to make a 90 angle (kinda rounded 90) ... entire job took maybe 30 minutes including all the fittings & faucets along with drilling into the slab & brick to put stabilizer brackets. What the biggest selling point to us was it is much more durable to extreme temperatures (since we were running outside without any insulation).
Old 01-30-2014, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
http://www.sharkbite.com/

I think this is the originator of the fittings I am talking about. Just the brand I have seen in stores here are called gatorbite instead.
Lowes sells Gatorbite. home Depot sells SharkBite. They are more expensive than the crimp-style, but they save time and are removeable/reusable. They also will work transitioning to copper. I use a lot of pex and always use the bite-style connectors.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
I have pex in my house and like it. Easy to work with compared to sweating copper, as previously stated. We also use it a lot in commercial kitchens. Much easier to work and run lines. You can run pex for all your rough ins then your through wall connection can be copper line for appearance/code

I can come up with some pictures if you'd like
Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Does it pass residential code in Cincinnati? I like what I see, seems easy enough and the crimping tool is not that expensive. I sure am tired of sweating cooper, plus this looks like you can make more direct runs etc.
Yes, many new construction residential guys use pex everyday here.

ETA: As a matter of fact I am getting ready to use it in a new 100 bed nursing home we will be starting in the spring.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottawatta View Post
Yes, many new construction residential guys use pex everyday here.

ETA: As a matter of fact I am getting ready to use it in a new 100 bed nursing home we will be starting in the spring.
Lottawatta- do you guys need a Foodservice equipment supplier? I can help!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Wow - I knew I would get great info here.

Long story, but my sons house he bought last year, PO re-ran the plumbing in copper below the floor joist in the garage. This area is about 7' X 10' and feeds the bath & kitchen above. Of course the garage is un-heated. We had enough ceiling height, so I dropped the ceiling, insulated the pipes as well as cavity, with R30 attic insulation below them plus vapor barrier and dry wall. There is also a heat run now in the box, which I tapped a small amount of air to help heat the cavity.

It all worked well until we hit the -10 temp this week, sure enough the pipe closest to the garage door froze. I have not been able to get over there yet to see if we have a burst pipe yet, but no water leaking.

I am thinking of re-running in PEX keeping the runs as close to the upstairs floor and through the joist as possible. I am also going to foam insulate the garage door.

Thoughts???
Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
put a small electric heater in the garage when the temperature gets stupid low to be on the safe side...
Old 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
PEX is used in a lot of RV's also............
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Here are some disadvantages to PEX:

It cannot be used outside. It may allow bacterial infections to take place. It cannot be recycled and thus are not good from the sustainable development point of view. The PEX piping is affected by the Ultraviolet radiations of sun in the long term.

One of the best advantages of copper is its resistance to PH change. It can be used inside and outside, The water will remain fresh and uncontaminated since copper piping doesn't take to bacterial intrusions. (most of this taken from online for clarity reasons)

I'm a contractor and regularly deal with both Copper and Pex. I service Chicagoland (obviously only copper is aloud here) and in NW Indiana where most homes since the mid 1990's have been using Pex.

I know Pex is supposed to hold up better than copper in cold temperatures, however in my experience that is just not the case. With the recent polar vortexes snuffing out furnaces on my properties I have had coutless problems with Pex v Copper. If copper breaks it breaks in one or two spots. If the Pex freezes and breaks it is regularly over 20-40 different repairs throughout the system. Granted Pex is easy to fix and gator/shark bites are your best friend for these repairs, but I would much rather sweat one elbow than hunt down tiny sliver cracks in a maze of lines.

If I was installing all new, obviously Pex is easier. But with the bacteria standpoint, if you're planning on using this in a vacation home I highly suggest whoever completely blow out your lines, and make sure the property is winterized. Even if it won't be getting cold there. If the water sits in those lines stagnant you can get sick. Same with a bathroom or faucet that doesn't get used often, make sure to run the water for at least 30 minutes before your guests use the guest bath.