Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Nice work...
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Great job!

We have the same color MC but ours is a '94 190.

When I buffed the boat this summer, I was able to get all the oxidation off and buff to a nice shine with glaze and then wax.

I think the part I missed was the sealer...what did you guys use? I watched the video but was not sure exactly what is was...i was not able to keep the deep luster that's why I am think the sealer or protectant was the key I missed. I will try it again once the weather gets warmer.
was going to wait for OP to respond. www.autogeek.com has the sealants you're looking for.

Not cheap - was going to do some research on them - with my boat being white I never took a close look at them
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
What is the purpose of the "sealer" ?

This goes on after the Wax step ?

Does it inhibit oxidation or just help keep the wax from wearing off ?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft maristar 225 vrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Great job!

We have the same color MC but ours is a '94 190.

When I buffed the boat this summer, I was able to get all the oxidation off and buff to a nice shine with glaze and then wax.

I think the part I missed was the sealer...what did you guys use? I watched the video but was not sure exactly what is was...i was not able to keep the deep luster that's why I am think the sealer or protectant was the key I missed. I will try it again once the weather gets warmer.
A sealant is similar to a wax but typically lasts quite a bit longer. Automotive or marine Wax is made up of, in part, or a percentage of carnauba which is a natural product. 100% wax has 0 polishing properties, only used for protection. Many waxes are mixed with aggregates to polish as well. Sealants are used the same way as wax but are a synthetic product. The cross linking of molecules is generally much stronger and they typically outlast an application of wax anywhere from 2-4 or 6 times. If you are not getting the luster you may have not removed all of the oxidation which often needs heavier compounding or sanding. Also may have not finished off the polishing enough to really bring out the shine. The sealant will be your final application and many you spread on just like wax, make sure to let it sit on the boat for 20-30 minutes to allow the chemical bond to take place and then remove excess just like wax. If you wax you should be doing so once/mo (unless in storage) and if you use sealants, depending on the quality and application, at least once in spring, if you are in a warm climate using the boat all year I would do it 2-3 times (sealant). Many of these do have uv inhibitors so keeping good protection on the gel coat really helps. As said before, Autogeek does have a great supply of just about anything you will need. There are numerous internet places to buy detail supplies but autogeek knows there stuff and are a great company!
info@wolfeborocarwash.com

Tags
detail, gelcoat repair, wet sanding