Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Have you removed sanding scratches with a Flex 3401 polisher?

Have you removed 1000 grit sanding scratches from gelcoat with a Flex 3401 polisher? If so, could you please describe your technique, pad, and compound?

My experience as a new user of this tool has been mixed. My most aggressive setup is a Lake Country 6.5 inch twisted wool pad with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound. I experienced backing plate melting on the back side using this setup. I estimate I was applying 15-17 pounds of downward force when this happened.

It turns out some Flex 3401 users, as far back as 2008 judging from internet posts, have experienced this backing plate melting when a felt ring in the housing contacts the back of the backing plate. I purchased air tool lubricant from NAPA for the felt ring to mitigate this problem, which is a procedure suggested by detailing experts and Powerhouse -- the outfit Flex uses in the United States to handle service and warranty issues. I also resolved to reduce my downward force and to move the pad more slowly across the surface when I wanted aggressive cutting.

After applying this oil to the felt ring, I did some compounding with about 8 pounds of downward force. There was no evidence of contact between the felt ring and the backing plate (actually a gear plate since I had switched to the Lake Country backing plate adapter system), but the 1000 grit sanding scratches I was targeting were not disappearing. When I increased my downward force to around 10-12 pounds, the scratches disappeared, but the backing plate showed some mild scratching that indicates contact with the felt ring.

It seems either I’m missing something or removing these scratches from gelcoat is a stretch for this tool. Powerhouse states it is only for “fine polishing,” yet Autogeek markets it in a de-oxidation package.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I have a Flex 3401 for auto polishing. Mine uses velcro-applied foam pads of varying texture along with polishing compounds of varying grit. I have a lot of experience with this machine and have never had a single issue, but I don't have a clue about wool pads and melting backing plates. For deep scratches and swirls on my car, I use an Adam's green pad with their Severe Swirl Remover.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
I've done this many times and there is nothing I hate worse than a wool pad. I would throw that thing away and get a tangerine Lake County foam pad and be done with it. 1000 grit sanding scratches are not easy to remove with a polisher. It can be done but I always use a 3000 3M trizact pad before I use compound to get most of them out. The reason it's getting that hot is because you are applying too much pressure. If you use the 3000 trizact pad first it will remove most of the scratches than a medium pressure compound will remove the rest.

Directions
Wet the dry Tangerine pad with water in a spray bottle Apply 3M Super Duty to the pad and press down to remove scratches. Remember start hard and finish light. Don't let the pad get that hot. If this doesn't remove them you need to get a 3000 Trizact sanding pad. Go over it to remove the deeper scratches the follow it back up with what's listed above.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I have a Flex 3401 for auto polishing. Mine uses velcro-applied foam pads of varying texture along with polishing compounds of varying grit. I have a lot of experience with this machine and have never had a single issue, but I don't have a clue about wool pads and melting backing plates. For deep scratches and swirls on my car, I use an Adam's green pad with their Severe Swirl Remover.
Have you used your Flex 3401 on the gelcoat on a boat? If so, how?