Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
Westsounds Rev10 vs Hollowpoint 770

I am getting the stereo itch again after reading all these posts and looking to upgrade.
I was thinking about replacing my Bullet Hollow Point 770 HLCD's and replacing with a pair of Rev10's.
The Rev 10's will cost me about $1500.00, so I want to be sure it will be a big enough difference to justify the cost. I was looking at the white enclosures and grills for my boat and wanted to be sure that they will not yellow over time. Does anyone have any pictures of them mounted on a 04 thru 06 xstar so I can see how far they hang down ( to hit my head on)?

There was also some talk on here about 12" JL marine subs. Any idea when these will be available? Can I still get the "classic" grill to match my other speakers? any specs?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
I would say if you properly power the Rev10's they will be worth the cost....you have to factor in the proper amp into the cost equation.

As far as bass goes...I will have a hard time ever going back to an infinite baffle sub after going to the dark side of a ported box with a W7...it is just a whole different league. Think big time high school football to the NFL type difference...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM
MC Fanatic

I was hoping the new JL 12" would be available in non-IB configuration just like the M10's. Any info on the subs?

I was on another forum, and they rave about the Rev10's. I do not have a dealer in my town where I could go and have listen. There must be some dealers on here that have both Bullet HLCD 7.7 and Rev10's on thier sales stand for a side by side comparison. I didnt switch before cause I read that the Rev8's were just a bit better than the bullets (plus being lazy and poor), but Rev10's seem to be gaining a following.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Initially there will not be an air suspension version of the JL Audio marine 12-inch sub. Perhaps that will follow but not this year. And I would not expect the IB 12 early this season.
For an air suspension 12-inch look at the JL Audio 2-ohm 12W3 with 500 to 600 watts (JL Audio XD600/1) or the JL Audio 12W6 v3 with 750 watts (JL Audio HD750/1).

The HollowPoints are a great speaker but forget the brand difference. Look at the HollowPoint 770s as if it was also a Wetsounds product.
Going from a 7.7" to a 10" you are exactly doubling the radiating surface area and doubling the pod displacement. By no means is that a moderate difference.
Make sure the single pair of Rev10s are powered to their potential. A Wetsounds Syn4 bridged, or JL Audio HD750/1 or Wetsounds SD2.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Two very uniquely different products, both excellent choices. If you're comparing 1 pair of REV10 to 1 pair of HP770 then the REV10 will be the winner in the overall performance category, but it's also half again as big as the HP770. The HP770 is more in line with the REV8 in terms of compqrisons.

The differences in products can sometimes be the factor that influences the decision. Polycarbonate versus aluminum, lowest hang height on the Bullet compared to all others, quick release brackets available with Wet Sounds but not with Bullet, etc.

Properly powering any HLCD speaker, and properly setting up and tuning them, can make a bigger difference in performance than the difference between the products.

Odin
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post

Properly powering any HLCD speaker, and properly setting up and tuning them, can make a bigger difference in performance than the difference between the products.

Odin
I really like the look of the OEM mastercraft speaker cans.. and they each contain a forward facing light... and they have a very low hang height.... and they are already mounted and running with LED lights in them. So I do need a good reason to change.

I am running the HP770's with a two channnel Arc Audio KS 300.2. The rated spec claims 180wrms @14.4v at 4ohm. could they benifit from more power?

When I tuned the HP770's, it always seemed like I was adjusting the amp to reduce the amount of low frequencies the speaker would see in order to get the horn to perform its best at high output. The driver doesnt produce as well as it could with this tune, but I fear I could blow the the driver as the amp begins to lose control of it when lower frquencies are sent to it (the driver) at high output.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
180 watts per HP770 is OK. A little more power wouldn't be bad, but it's not going to make a dramatic difference. You will want to cross those speakers over a littler higher to get better projection and protect the driver, and there's no reason to not cross them over higher since the 770's in that can will not reproduce lower frequencies anyway. A higher crossover point will typically work better with a smaller HLCD driver.

I think the HP770 sounds best when running 2 pairs together. In that configuration I think they are among the best sounding HLCD setups I've heard as far as balance and projection.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Actually bought a second set of HP770's from Earmark, bought an extra set of cans, was gonna put the extra pair up but decided that I would be hitting my head on them too much and the extra weight on the tower would cause it to wiggle even more. So I sold all the equipment .
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
Actually bought a second set of HP770's from Earmark, bought an extra set of cans, was gonna put the extra pair up but decided that I would be hitting my head on them too much and the extra weight on the tower would cause it to wiggle even more. So I sold all the equipment .
You heard the man Craig.... 2 pairs of the Hollow Points run together are optimal! I'm 6' and have four factory cans on my tower and haven't bumped my head yet...but I am mindful when I pass underneath. Also, I've never had issues with my tower wiggling unless it was getting rough on the water...but we never stay out on the lake if that happens. If you are reading between the lines correctly, yes, I am still trying to sell my brand-new-in-the-box pair of Bullet HP770s!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I would not be concerned with the weight of an additional pair of cans (4 total) on a factory tower.

The question is - What is your goal in making a change?
More projection or mid bass?
End of the rope? surf? in-boat? coved behind the boat or rafted side to side?

Have to understand the Who, When and Where, before recommending a What and How.