Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Hullspeed coating

Has anyone heard of the product called Hullspeed? It is a bottom paint that is just rolled on that is supposed to make your hull bottom slicker, enabling a higher top speed and the ability to easily slide off the trailer. Supposedly several of the pro fishermen are using this on their bass boats and it holds up well to the abuse they put it through. I think the only color it comes in is black but it seemed like an interesting idea for someone that was planning on regelcoating their bottom for whatever reason. I would be interested to know if it would add enough efficiency to justify the cost. I am not thinking about being the guinea pig but just curious if anyone else is familiar with the product.

Www.hullspeed.us
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Pro bass fishermen are probably being paid to demo the product so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that. It looks like it might add durability if you scrape your hull over a lot of rocks/brush, sand, etc or if you leave your boat in an environment that attracts algea or scum on the hull. I can't imagine that it would add any speed over a polished fiberglas hull.
It seems that painted hulls on ski boats generally decrease their value but I suppose that could change if there was an advantage and coatings became the norm.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 PM
MC Devotee

I agree and understand the marketing aspect of the product. I guess I would have to see first hand or some third party data just how big of a difference it makes. I don't understand how it could add weight, and put a dull surface on it and still have any advantages for speed or efficiency. Traditionally, I would not ever even consider painting the bottom of my boat unless I was running in salt.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I wonder if I could paint my Jeep with it. It's getting a litte scratched up! And it has a lot of wind resistance that needs to be reduced!!
If anyone has any practical experience with the product, I would be interested, just from a couriosity standpoint.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
I wonder if I could paint my Jeep with it. It's getting a litte scratched up! And it has a lot of wind resistance that needs to be reduced!!
If anyone has any practical experience with the product, I would be interested, just from a couriosity standpoint.
Well that is an idea. Plus all you do is roll it on so if you get a scratch, then roll right over it.