Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I trailer my SA to Kenora Ontario from Joliet, IL - 726 miles each way... I do worry about it.. that being said - Tires inspected before trip, bearings repacked before trip... check lug nuts after 50ish miles... stop every 90 minutes and check them like a hawk.. and Tires no older than 5 years or 5K miles...
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Who are you ordering from? and can you share a ballpark cost?
Sure...my MC dealer is also a Boatmate dealer, so I am going with the tandem axle Boatmate trailer. I didn't ask for any bling, but he said the upgraded wheels would only cost a couple hundred more. Since I'm already buying a new trailer for a boat I've only owned for 5 months, I said why not and got the fancier wheels. Gonna cost around 4700 which is in line with what I've seen elsewhere. I expect to have it for a very long time...and will take good care of it.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Sure...my MC dealer is also a Boatmate dealer, so I am going with the tandem axle Boatmate trailer. I didn't ask for any bling, but he said the upgraded wheels would only cost a couple hundred more. Since I'm already buying a new trailer for a boat I've only owned for 5 months, I said why not and got the fancier wheels. Gonna cost around 4700 which is in line with what I've seen elsewhere. I expect to have it for a very long time...and will take good care of it.
good info - thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Any pics of the upgraded wheels?

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Any pics of the upgraded wheels?
No, I'll take some next time I go. It was way too cold outside. I just took a quick look at some of the trailers in the lot and the standard wheels were chrome looking and the upgrades were black. I'm getting the black trailer so thought those wheels would look better.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
I talked to Boatmate a year ago about a new trailer (of which I was hoping they sold to the public). I came to realize that most of what I considered extras or bling were (Boatmate) standard features... I think they have a nice trailer but what truly would impress me if they offered a hot-dip galvanized feature (or process) prior to the build or paint scheme. Without that, the basic quality of the trailer (a steel tubular frame) is as common as any other trailer. If I were inspecting the trailer as it was being built, weld integrity would be the next quality control hold point, and next would be the hole they cut in the tube to route the brake hoses (I'd require a round drilled and chamfered hole with an edge grommet) in lieu of a quick flame-cut hole). After that it's fairly academic.....

Trickskier sent his new trailer back to that manufacturer because of bad welds. They were crappy too. I looked at them and told him exactly what was wrong with the welding (armed him with welding defect information) and he got a new trailer. They were that bad (once the manufacturer realized Trick knew his stuff).

I've seen their trailer yard and they do have nice looking trailers

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
Quote:
No, I'll take some next time I go. It was way too cold outside. I just took a quick look at some of the trailers in the lot and the standard wheels were chrome looking and the upgrades were black. I'm getting the black trailer so thought those wheels would look better.
They have pictures located here https://www.boatmateparts.com/produc...84cc5b685a4842
Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Any recommendations with what to do with my current trailer? I don't feel comfortable putting it up for sale. I could scrap it, leave it at the dealer to do with what they wish, store it covered at the farm for a rainy day, other ideas? Any parts I should remove and hold on to if I decide to scrap it?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Any recommendations with what to do with my current trailer? I don't feel comfortable putting it up for sale. I could scrap it, leave it at the dealer to do with what they wish, store it covered at the farm for a rainy day, other ideas? Any parts I should remove and hold on to if I decide to scrap it?
I would part it out and scrap the rest... in fact I'd be interested in one or both hub/rotors for spares.. assuming the price is reasonable and they are in decent shape.

Disregard.. I went back and read your original post stating that you don't have brakes on this trailer
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Can I be first in line for the fenders if they are in good shape?