Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-Star
New trailer. SA or TA?

I need a new trailer for my 205v, but don't know whether I should get a single axle or tandem axle replacement. It currently sits on a 2001 SA (too much rust for my comfort and no brakes). This is my first boat, so I don't have any experience with a TA. I have read many of the posts in the Trailers section and it seems the TA is the preferred choice, but reasons are rarely given. It seems it would be more stable in the event of a blowout, but are there other reasons?

Is it correct to assume the SA and TA would be the same length and width?

My garage opening is arched and I currently back my boat in at an angle down the center and then hand push the bow over once it's in. The arch is too low at the ends to back in straight. Would I be able to hand push the bow sideways on a TA?

I am looking for advice on the benefits and drawbacks of each option.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Tandems tow nicer and are more stable. You have the safety of another axle underneath the boat. They are a bit more trouble to back up as the tire bind doesn't allow it to turn as freely but yes, it is definitely tougher to push around by hand. I do it with our X-25 'a little bit' but that is a little heavier than your 205 too, I believe. It also gives you two more tires to buy come new tire time and two more brakes/hubs/bearing sets to maintain. I would think it would come down to how much you tow. If I towed short distances and rather infrequently I would stick with a single. If you tow for distance, frequently and want a bit more piece of mind, go tandem - assuming the hand pushing isn't going to be too big of a PITA for you. I'm not sure on width, but I do think tandems sit just a bit lower than single do too. I'm sure others will chime in with their as well and correct me if I am wrong on that last part.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I have and have had both single and dual axel trailers ,For a very heavy hull a dual axel is much more pleasant to tow . That being said a single axel is way more user friendly for your boat . Way easier to back up and move by hand. Dual axel trailers crab or bind when backed up and you have twice the maintenance . Bottom line unless you are towing a long distance all the time its my opinion you will be much more happy with a single axel .
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
For some practical scenarios, the dual axle is nicer. For example, when driving over a speed bump, the single axle trailer lifts the entire boat up the 6" of the speed bump. The tandem axle trailer will lift the front axle over the speed bump, then lift the rear axle over, so the boat doesn't move at all (or very little). This translates to much less bounce for your boat, and an easier tow.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I have logged many a mile with both tandem and single axle trailers. On the road, the tandem wins without question. Some people complain about backing a tandem but I have never had any complaints, and have mostly used different F150's. Where the big difference comes into play is hand maneuvering. Where one can push a single axle trailer almost anywhere, the same can't be said for the tandem. I never push my tandem anywhere so it's a no-brainer for me. Tires cost more to replace, but they tend to last longer on a properly set up tandem - though not enough longer to offset the extra cost.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com

Last edited by thatsmrmastercraft; 04-07-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys, that definitely helps. Onewheat brings up a good point about the TA sitting lower on the 14" vs 15" wheels. I just went out and measured and the boat will clear at 81", but not at 76", which is the height I would need to back it straight in. I currently use a 10" drop hitch to get her in.

I tow several times a week to my local lake 20 miles away, but expect to make a few 250+ mile trips during the summer months.

Stupid question, but how do you prevent these trailers from rusting? I've seen many posts referring to 70s and 80s trailers and am wondering how they last so long. I took a look with a flashlight down the tubes of mine and didn't see anything but brown rust.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Having rust and having a rust problem are two different things. Do you have serious rust that is compromising the integrity of the trailer or surface rust on the unpainted surfaces?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Having rust and having a rust problem are two different things. Do you have serious rust that is compromising the integrity of the trailer or surface rust on the unpainted surfaces?
It apparently collapsed on the PO. Here's the post where I quote what I got from the dealer when I had them check the brakes: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...93&postcount=4

The surface rust doesn't look bad to me, but I don't really know what to look for. It seems to be rusting from the inside, which led to my question about prevention.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
And the double axle may help just a bit in re-sale value too. I prefer a double axle over the single....and talked a guy into swapping me. Yes, a lot more maintenance but it tows better and gives me piece of mind for long road trips (safer).

And, your boat just looks better with a double axle!

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
It apparently collapsed on the PO. Here's the post where I quote what I got from the dealer when I had them check the brakes: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...93&postcount=4

The surface rust doesn't look bad to me, but I don't really know what to look for. It seems to be rusting from the inside, which led to my question about prevention.
I would say you have a rust problem! Good luck with the new trailer. Tandem/leaf spring fan here.